close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

captured vs. non-captured guide rods

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by smousefam5, Apr 9, 2010.

1. smousefam5

smousefam5

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each kind? I am going to replace the factory plastic rod with a stainless rod and would like to know the merits of each style. Yes, I know...I am taking a chance at getting banned for replacing the original stock rod...:tongueout:

2. Bigeyes

Bigeyes

You're Banned!!! So was I for replacing my factory guide rod/spring a decade ago. I went with the non-captured one. It's easier for cleaning/lubricating but is difficult for installation. With plenty of practices I can install it blind folded. BTW: It's a SS guide rod.

BE

3. voyager4520

voyager4520

No experience with them, but I've heard you shouldn't use the version of the captured one that has a washer at the end to capture the spring because it puts stress on the hole in the slide for the guide rod. Maybe someone else could elaborate on this?

4. Wild Gene

Wild Gene

Sounds like poo-poo, but I have also heard that the steel rods are hard on the guns too. I really don't think that is an issue, but I have been wrong before.

I went with captured from Jager (see Sponsor Link above). I figure I won't loose the spring as easily that way. I can just keep the entire component in my range bag and change it out in about two seconds if I want (depending on ammo).

I really like the stainless guide rod. I like both the static feel and the way if feels when I am firing the gun.

Good luck on your decision. Either way, I bet you will like a metal guide rod in your Glock.

5. 125K9

125K9

I think either way, with a good quality product, will work just fine. I prefer non-captured and went with a Wolff non-captured rod/spring for my new G19. I had a second generation G19 that had well over 15,000 trouble free rounds with a Harrts non-captured s.s. rod, so it's been my personal experience that the metal ones won't hurt a Glock's frame.
    I'm sure that the stock, plastic rods will work just as well, but, with our department issued G22's the stock rod has been the weak link. Almost every range session one or two will go down due to rod damage/breakage. Of course some of that has to do with operator maintenance, or lack thereof, but I still prefer the metal ones.

6. ronin.45

ronin.45

The major benefit of the captured spring is easy assembly/disassembly. If you ever want to change spring rates to shoot different ammo or like to replace your springs frequently the uncaptured might be the way to go.

7. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

In a nut shell...Captured =fixed spring weight.... Non captured = You can change-out spring weights.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010