Captured or Non-Captured Guide Rod

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bigmike75, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Bigmike75

Bigmike75

Without going into the arguement of plastic vs metal guide rods in Glocks. Which way should one go "Captured or Non-Captured Guide Rod"? What are the pros and cons?

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

A non-captured rod makes it easy to change to different recoil springs as required when changing ammo, or adding a comp....etc.

A captured type guide rod makes it easier and safer to assemble/disassemble the gun.

3. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

My two Glocks are stock, captured, units. Until they fail, I'll stay stock (or just replace stock part). Main reason I'm stock is that I have trust in it and I shoot GSSF, so I can't change without changing divisions. I've thought of getting a stainless, non-captured, rod for my G19 (just to change it up), but I don't see the purpose nor want to play with spring rates. I'm no fun... :)

4. bmahle

bmahle

I use the Wolff non-captured guide rods and springs in my G30 & G26. I have the calibration spring kits, but have only ever used the stock spring weights. Never had a problem with the Wolff setup.

5. 21Glock

21Glock

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life again. I got a T.H.E. captured SS guide rod for my 21SF about a week ago. The retaining screw head was too big to use, so I tried setting it up as a non-captured guide rod. Looks like it will work OK in that version. Haven't shot it yet, but I have a 22lb. ISMI spring on there to shoot some .45 Super rounds. Talking with Mark with ISMI, he says he always takes the retaining screws off of the guide rods he uses and turns them into non-captured guide rods, anyway.

6. coal

coal

Captured Pro = easier to disassemble
    Non-Captured Pro = seconds to swap springs.
    Captured Con = Stock: can't change spring. After market: Takes <2 minutes.
    Non-Captured Con = assembly a little more difficult.

7. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Here's a non-captured pro...the guide rod fits flush with the slide.I think it looks cleaner...

[​IMG]

8. whitey4311

whitey4311

Same here for my 21sf. Only use the Wolff springs but stock weights and no issues. Love the weight forward to control muzzle flip but honestly I changed to it when new so cant compare to stock setup really.

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

This is exactly what I was going to say. It depends on whether you change spring rates or not. I like captured for easy takedown.

10. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

Any captured steel rod can be used as a non captured if you want to. Just take the screw out, and now you're trying it out as a non captured.

Buy the captured, and you actually own both types, depending on - screw in / screw out. Buy the non captured, and a non captured is all it will ever be, since there's no threaded hole for the screw.