close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Capital Punishment

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tom D, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Tom D

Tom D

I'm the first one to understand all the studies and statistics that I'm sure exist that argue the death penalty doesn't deter violent crimes.

I think there may be a reason that the death penalty is referred to as capital punishment rather than capital deterrence.

If someone commits a gun crime with no death resulting, is then arrested tried and convicted and sentenced to 40 years hard labor no appeals might it not deter a few sane would be offenders ? If it were to by happenstance deter another from committing a similar crime would that not be only a fringe benefit as a result of harsh punishment. So then the rewards are two fold.

The same with the death penalty. Take a life in the commission of a gun crime the result should be swift execution if caught and convicted.

Now an insane person will not be influenced I'm sure. A sane person would give second thoughts to his evil plan.

Eric Holder sells guns to the cartels. The result was many lost lives. Why was there no outcry?

When a drug deal goes aery and the dealers shoot each other the headlines read "Drug Deal Goes Bad". In my opinion the headline should read "Drug Deal Went Well".

Not a single politician or talking head has brought up the subject of Capital Punishment. They won't let the two words pass over their forked tongues.

The simple mindedness of our leadership and liberal left is manifesting.

Can you imagine complying and joining in with the Lemmings of this ploy.

The last time I had my hands on an assault weapon was during the Viet Nam war. My ARs and Glock 34 and my other firearms (I dont consider them really weapons) are mine and will remain mine to defend myself from a tyrannical gov't what ever language it happens to speak up to and including English.

I would like to own an M16 but I just don't need one and it makes things too complicated or even an M2 for that matter.

An invader of my home would meet a baseball bat before they met gun, maybe.

Back on subject does anyone think capital punishment even stands a chance anymore, or are we at the mercy of the scoreless soccer game mentality at large?

The lunatic that just gunned down the first responders, the guy that bludgeoned his grandmother to death with a hammer, how stupid to think he should have had the opportunity for rehab. How many lives would have been saved had he received a swift execution. Those who survived his attack will never have another normal day. The survivors will need and deserve re-hab.

I would like someone argue against capital punishment and mandatory near life sentences for gun crimes. Spend my tax dollars on a huge federal pen out in the desert somewhere for such offenders lock them up or put them down. Let the punishment fit the crime.

I would like to see the NRA get on the Capital Punishment bandwagon. It might take some of the attention off the gun ban crap. The argument can easily be argued. Argue it loudly. It would make a difference.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  2. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

And send the next-of-kin a bill for the price of the bullet.

3. Phaze5ive

Phaze5ive

Those that perpetrated those massacres deserve the death penalty, but they are exceptions. If I remember correctly, most murders are spontaneous and unplanned. Situations either got out of hand or people became emotionally riled up and acted out in the moment. That's why capital punishment isn't much of a deterrent.

4. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

I'm from Texas, and studied Criminal Justice at Sam Houston State University in Huntsville, Tx, the home of Old Sparky. You won't get much argument from me.

[​IMG]

5. Tom D

Tom D

Its not called capital deterrence. If you screw up with a gun pay the penalty. Its meant to punish NOT deter. Deterrence is a fringe benefit. The offender OWNS the act.

6. bobtheelf

bobtheelf

I'll say this for the death penalty: The rate of recidivism is extremely low.

7. F350

F350

Totally impossible to prove a negitive which is why the anti-capital punishment (liberal) crowd likes that argument.

While you can't prove deterrence; it can be proved the recidivism rate is 0%.

8. adamg01

adamg01

I think three strikes should really mean that you are out. I know it will never happen but three felonies proves you are only going to be a danger and burden on society. Save the tax payers some money and start thinning out the herd.

9. Aux Bear

Aux Bear

Politics. politics, politics. Need I say more? Until our selected elected get the message, ol sparky will be put out to pasture.

10. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Re. Capitol Punishment:

I hear the argument is that the chance of an innocent sent to death unjustifiably is sufficient reason for not taking the life of incorrigible violent criminals.

It is said to be too costly to keep many people locked up for life, so they set them free after a while.

What about the lives of the innocent victims that die as a result of the "rehabilitated" violent criminal that gets set free and kills more. How is this better?

All solutions have problems, just as no solutions will have.

11. arizona_andy

arizona_andy Caliber Realist

You're definitely preaching to the choir... any man who kills his grandmother with a hammer should be executed as quickly as possible. There is absolutely no sense in allowing such a man to ever go free again, nor is there sense in spending hundreds of thousands of dollars (of our taxpayer money) to ensure that this man receives hot meals and has a roof over his head.

If someone commits a truly heinous crime, they should receive an appropriate level of punishment: death. This way, they can never harm a living soul ever again, AND it has the added benefit of saving taxpayers a considerable amount of money. So, it really is a win-win situation. Yet, we have somehow found a way to turn it into a lose-lose situation: When these men eventually get let of out jail, they often find a way to commit yet another heinous crime.

Exactly WHO benefits from such a system? Only the man who committed the crime. As with "gun control", there is no rational argument that can be made against capital punishment... unfortunately, a very large segment of voters in this nation are complete dimwits.

12. Tom D

Tom D

I guess my question is why is the act of the punishment clouded with the issue of deterrence?

I don't care if the punishment deters another from doing the same. Whether it does or does not is irrelevant,

Its not call capital deterrence.

I really think the warm fuzzy feeling the Libs get from thinking they should "help" the poor soul who hammered his Grandma to death is for their own benefit like the scoreless soccer game. Hey we're all winners, except Grandma, but she's dead so it doesn't matter.

Telling the criminal if he commits a violent gun crime and gets caught "by golly your going to get rehabilitated" isnt much of a friggin deterrent either.

I'll put my money on Sparky!

There should be a focus on specific punishment for gun violations to start with. Granted as fouled up as our judicial system is there will be innocents who become victims of the law but how many innocents are caught up in drive by shooting, drug deals, etc.

Keep the focus on the gun crime issue and our leaders have to listen. Today they are looking for an easy out. They created the mess and they know we are holding them accountable.

Throw them a bone and as stupid as the leadership is appearing maybe one of them will pick it up run with it. Gotta get the attention off grabbing guns and on to punishing the criminals like were are suppose to be doing anyway.

Screw the cost Id rather spend the money on incarceration and executions of gun offenders than on the billions we throw to Karsai and his opium trade.

13. Roger1079

Roger1079

I don't care whether it is premeditated or in the heat of the moment. Murder is murder. I agree with the death penalty 100%. However I do not agree with lethal injection and other peaceful ways of ending a condemned person's life or that they sit on death row for decades before meeting their fate. I believe it should be an eye for an eye. You bludgeon someone with a hammer, you should be executed the same way. You shoot someone in the head, you should meet the same fate. That might actually work as a deterrent.

14. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

In most states the Capital Punishment bandwagon is nothing more than a way to make lawyers into millionaires. 10 to12 years of practically unlimited appeals and unlimited billable hours payed for by the state.

Its not about justice its all about money.

15. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

I'm all for capital punishment where its appropriate.

However, it would be of no deterrance in many of these mass killings since many of these recent perpetrators have inflicted capital punishment on themselves by committing suicide.

There is no deterrant or logic to be used on anyone who does not have the will to live or survive themselves.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  16. Tom D

Tom D

Only sane criminal would be a candidate for deterrence.

The insane murderers who don't kill themselves should be offered the opportunity to receive therapy. Give them the option to die sane. If accomplished thorough hard work, in therapy, in a given amount of time like 90 days they can die sane but execute them.

I think if a sane person knew this might happen things might slow down a bit.

17. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Capital punishment is a deterrent, but we don't have capital punishment. We claim we do, and once in a blue moon we do execute someone, but it happens almost never.

We need to implement true capital punishment.

Convict on Friday, hang/shoot on Monday.

18. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

In Texas, we're doing the best we can!

19. RyanBDawg

RyanBDawg

I say hang people in the town square after their crimes have been read aloud for all to hear.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

20. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

:agree: We pay for 3 meals a day and a cot and a law library free lawers, education and free medical. :steamed: Give me a break. $65,000 for each scum bag per year. Ass holes got it it made.