Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Enigma
3,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drawing against the drop.
More than one armed attacker.
Attackers continue to shoot back after the shooting starts.
WARNING: Shocking video shows a gun battle between store employee and would-be robbers, now a homicide investigation

Missing the point, invalid take aways:
I don't work in a store/shop so this example is inapplicable.
I don't live in _, so this example is irrelevant.

What should be a take away:
Capacity is advantageous.
Might have to defend against more than one armed attacker.
Attackers might keep shooting after the shooting starts.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts

Unfortunately, I know a lot about this one. Jon and his wife belonged to the same range I did at the time of the robbery (murder). We shot matches together a few times. As the events (robbery) unfolded it ended up being four on one. As the robbers assaulted Jon's wife (near the front door) he emerged from the back of the store and engaged the robbers (I believe his gun was a 1911). After thinking about this robbery (gun fight) and conversations with the LEO's involved I don't believe capacity per se would have mattered. I now believe the only way my acquaintance could (may) have survived four-on-one at close range would have been with high quality AR-15 or similar rifle. Just my thoughts about situation I know very well.
Drinkware Tableware Ingredient Beer glass Barware

·
Registered
36,317 Posts
I certainly understand your point.

Sure, having 6 shots before having to reload is better than having only 5 ... having 7 shots is better than having 6 ... having 10 shots is better than having 9 ... having 20 shots is better than having 15, etc, etc.

However, how many shots fired in that incident were misses? How many were fired in fear in the general direction of the 'targets', hoping some bullet might 'find' the intended target?

While being able to make more misses is hardly an advantage, perhaps more time invested in developing and maintaining skill might be handy?

Even holding a low-cap revolver or a hi-cap pistol in each hand isn't exactly an ideal replacement for skill, is it?

While this incident could be useful as an example of many things that might be important to consider, regarding a dispensary being targeted by armed suspects, the capacity of a lawfully possessed defensive handgun probably isn't anywhere near the top of the list. ;)

·
Registered
36,317 Posts

Unfortunately, I know a lot about this one. Jon and his wife belonged to the same range I did at the time of the robbery (murder). We shot matches together a few times. As the events (robbery) unfolded it ended up being four on one. As the robbers assaulted Jon's wife (near the front door) he emerged from the back of the store and engaged the robbers (I believe his gun was a 1911). After thinking about this robbery (gun fight) and conversations with the LEO's involved I don't believe capacity per se would have mattered. I now believe the only way my acquaintance could (may) have survived four-on-one at close range would have been with high quality AR-15 or similar rifle. Just my thoughts about situation I know very well.
View attachment 1064479
Sorry to hear about your friend. Condolences.

I wouldn't disagree with your assessment, meaning after you having given it a lot of thought and listening to the cops involved.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
I understand the point of more ammo is good. But I carry a KAHR P9 almost every time go out.

I am pretty sure I would carry a G17 or a G20 less.

carrying something habitually with Jess ammo seems better to me then sporadically or not carrying.

my situation is a bit different then most because if am observed to be carrying in public this could effect my employment.

thus I feel obligated to carry in the most discreet way possible.

·
Quick! Duck!
5,124 Posts
Drawing against multiple attackers who have guns already on you is foolish and suicidal, but if you are one of those special people who think your balls are bigger than your ego, you would never understand why anyway.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts