Glock Talk banner

Capacity for carry

6258 Views 101 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  SCmasterblaster
Reactions: GlockMan40SW
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

· Registered
950 Posts
I didn't watch the video but agree whole heartedly with the concept of more ammo. In today's climate with the raising instances of multiple assailants I carry my usual weapon a Glock 27 and two spare mags. I try to live by the old adage I read once

"Looks like I brought too much ammo to this gunfight!" said by No one ...ever

· Man, I'm Pretty
32,633 Posts
I usually carry a gun with a capacity of somewhere between 5 and 15 rounds. But I always make sure I carry at least one speed strip or spare magazine. :tongueout:

Regards,
Happyguy :)

· GUNS=FREEDOM
2,705 Posts
Why carry a gun? We pay the police to protect us at all times, so there's really no need. In a modern, civilized society there is no reason whatsoever for civilians to carry guns to protect themselves. Toting weapons around in public is paranoid and barbaric.

[/sarcasm].
Have never complained of being weighed down by EDC ammo.

· Registered
363 Posts
Well it boils down to personal choice, and responsibility. Like the great caliber, or bullet type wars, I cannot control others so I don't concern myself with their choices. I also don't worry about others opinions of my choices.

That said I carried 18 rounds on duty, with a personal backup, for years. It was enough, I never felt I needed anymore than that. Today it may vary depending on what I am carrying. For around the farm I only have 12 rounds in 32-20. When I get into the woods it is 18 rounds 44 magnum, plus 10 rounds in Marlin 44 mag lever.

I am no longer a LEO, so I have no obligation to get involved in a drawn out gun fight. Or get involved at all unless it pertains to I. If the bad guy can get away, I would let them, if I can get away safely, then that will be my choice.

· Registered
3,919 Posts
Carry what you think you need. Why do you feel 27rds is enough? Is there evidence out there that for your average CCWER that 5-8 rounds was inadequate? I looked but could not find anything. I carry a G42 or 43 and think I will be ok.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
More rounds is always gooder unless you're drowning or on fire. Single stack guns have their place for some people. In normal clothes I carry a G19 year round. At work though I have to wear a collared shirt and dress pants. I carry a Shield in the same position as I do my G19. Being able to put accurate rounds on target is key and I feel I can do that with my Shield. Would I rather have a G19 in a gun fight? Yes, heck I'd rather have a long gun. I had to compromise capacity for the ability to carry a gun well concealed in the appendix position. Just because a double stack works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone else.

· Registered
39,779 Posts
This subject isn't easily settled among folks who have a lesser amount of training, and/or little or no actual experience in dealing with potential deadly force situations.

I've known some folks who continued to carry revolvers or smaller (than duty-size) pistols, including single stacks, even after they'd been involved in shooting incidents.

Some folks seek confidence and comfort in higher capacity handguns, and some seek it in more training and improved abilities with whatever they're already carrying.

Sure, some seek the added "advantage" of greater magazine capacities, or larger models or calibers, and that's fine. Just doesn't mean it's something necessary or desirable by everyone else.

I'm presently carrying a 15+1 M&P40 as an issued weapon, but I'd not mind in the slightest returning to carrying an issued 6-shot revolver again, or my previously issued 4513TSW (7+1), 4566TSW (8+1) or even the 3913TSW (8+1) I carried before the M&P40. FWIW, if S&W had still been making the 3906 (or had ever made a 3906TSW), I'd have carried one of those for both plainclothes and uniform roles.

Capacity and caliber are just ... capacity and caliber. Now, skillset, experience, knowledge of tactics and mindset? Those are really desirable.

Work with what you've got ... and learn to run whatever you've got to optimal effect.

· Premium Member
CLM #38
10,894 Posts
This subject isn't easily settled among folks who have a lesser amount of training, and/or little or no actual experience in dealing with potential deadly force situations.

I've known some folks who continued to carry revolvers or smaller (than duty-size) pistols, including single stacks even after they'd been involved in shooting incidents.

Some folks seek confidence and comfort in higher capacity handguns, and some seek it in more training and improved abilities with whatever they're already carrying.

Sure, some seek the added "advantage" of greater magazine capacities, or larger models or calibers, and that's fine. Just doesn't mean it's something necessary or desirable by everyone else.

I'm presently carrying a 15+1 M&P40 as an issued weapon, but I'd not mind in the slightest returning to carrying an issued 6-shot revolver again, or my previously issued 4513TSW (7+1), 4566TSW (8+1) or even the 3913TSW (8+1) I carried before the M&P40. FWIW, if S&W had still been making the 3906 (or had ever made a 3906TSW), I'd have carried one of those for both plainclothes and uniform roles.

Capacity and caliber are just ... capacity and caliber. Now, skillset, experience, knowledge of tactics and mindset? Those are really desirable.

Work with what you've got ... and learn to run whatever you've got to optimal effect.
Probably the best response I've ever seen on this topic, bar none.

· Formerly TFLWYO
1,440 Posts

I've known some folks who continued to carry revolvers or smaller (than duty-size) pistols, including single stacks even after they'd been involved in shooting incidents.

Excellent post! It takes a whole lot less time, money and effort to sit around obsessing about gear and attributes such as caliber and capacity than it takes to go out and shoot 100 rounds a week, enter a shooting competition and/or take a training classes geared to self-defense. A guy who goes up against 5-6 assailants is going to need skill more than magazine capacity!!! I would put knowing how to shoot well, and under stress, much higher on a priority list than capacity.

In the OP the video maker’s epiphany involved only the number of rounds. It did not mention anything about tactics or how he would deal with it and protect his girlfriend. He explicitly says that he does not want to know how that scenario would have played out if he had walked into the restaurant when the crime occurred. Instead, he goes straight to a hardware solution. Well, OK, but I think the problem goes deeper than that.

· Registered
39,779 Posts
Probably the best response I've ever seen on this topic, bar none.
Aw, shucks. ;)

Leading someone to water is always the easy part, though.

Unsurprisingly, this sort of response has fallen on unwilling ears during some training settings. Lots of folks only want to hear the "easy" answer, and think it's going to be something that comes out of a box they can open, take out and forget about.

If it's not caliber, it's capacity. If it's not capacity, it's a different make/model of weapon. If it's not a different make/model of weapon, it's a different brand of ammunition. And so on ...

Some degree of apprehension on the part of lesser experienced folks often seems to look for the "gear answer" to a "between the ears" problem generally best addressed with attention to training, skillset development and acquired experience.

We all start out at that point in the beginning, but life can make hard demands on us, and being flexible and willing to learn on the move can be a handy thing.

· Registered
2,278 Posts
The recent CNN anchor shooting involved emptying one gun and going to another. Bear in mind this happened in the confines of a Motel 6 room and they are not large.

Carry what you think you need. Why do you feel 27rds is enough? Is there evidence out there that for your average CCWER that 5-8 rounds was inadequate? I looked but could not find anything. I carry a G42 or 43 and think I will be ok.

· Registered
11,729 Posts
This video isn't particularly profound or anything, but I just stumbled across it and thought I'd post it and give my thoughts. I absolutely agree with his conclusions, even though his example isn't great. At least it apparently led to his epiphany of what I realized when I first started carrying..

Why carry a G43, or a shield for anything other than as a BUG? I carry a G26 and a 17 rd spare. Sure a single stack is a little smaller and easier to conceal, but not that much. I can pocket carry my 26. I absolutely don't think a single stack 9mm, even if you have a spare 6 or 7 rd mag is adequate. If there's more than one bad guy, 6 or 7 rounds might be just enough to piss them off and get you killed. Of course some will argue that 9mm isn't adequate regardless, and I'm not really trying to start that argument, but all things considered, I want more than 6 or 7 rounds in my carry weapon.
You do have a point, but another point made millennia ago in both Chinese and Vedic literature recommends focusing upon the person(s) most determined to press a deadly encounter. Of course, one must beware of diversions but the accepted wisdom in situations as you describe is that there are at most a few perps that are immediate threats. Take one or two of them down and the "wannabees" scatter like cockroaches caught in a bright light.

Like Josey Wales said, you have to get real mean when there's no alternative.

· Registered
39,779 Posts
Being a lesser skilled shooter who doesn't handle themselves as well as they expect in an actual stressful incident isn't necessarily corrected by using more rounds, having a larger target or even using a gun in each hand.

A lesser or poorly trained fighter can't necessarily make up for their lack of skills by simply thinking they can hope to throw a lot more punches.

· Registered
2,342 Posts

Great post! At the end of the day it's about getting effective hits on target.

· Registered
59,814 Posts

Because it is worth reading again.

· Registered
39,779 Posts
My point is simply that I can carry a 26 as easily as a 43 or a Shield, so why not? Might not be true for everyone, but that's how I see it.
If it's your life on the line, who is going to gainsay you? (Or care, for that matter?)

Why would you care about another person's opinion if you've already established the answer for yourself? ;)

· Banned
551 Posts
I generally feel comfortable with a high capacity 9mm. I always carry at least one spare magazine in case of any malfunctions as well as to have some extra ammo. However I found that two spare magazines balances the weight of the gun better on my belt.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.