CAP and LEO

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Coffee357, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Coffee357

Coffee357

Been a LEO for many years and working on my private pilots license. Once I get my license, the Civil Air Patrol seems like a great place to serve the community, get in touch with other pilots, and develop my aviation skills. Question is... I'm pretty much armed all the time and wonder how CAP deals with the issue of LEO's authorized to be armed. Has anyone come across this before? Just curious before I get to the point of making any decisions.

THX

2. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

If you are located in a coastal area, you may also want to consider the USCG Auxiliary Aviation Operations Branch. Similar to the CAP's mission, USCGAUX Aviation falls under the Department of Homeland Security and conducts a variety of missions. It's a great way to serve as a volunteer. If you are an aircraft owner, you can have your aircraft approved as a "facility", and receive a fuel/maintenance reimbursement (based upon Horsepower) while utilizing the aircraft on USCGAUX missions.

Neither the CAP or USCGAUX members hold a law enforcement role, although you may sometimes assist the active duty arm in the completion of their mission. Firearms while on duty, or conducting missions as a volunteer will be prohibited, as a CCW license holder or an LEO, as you're not working in that capacity.
    Firearm possession on any US Military base will also be prohibited.

See this link for more information on USCGAUX Aviation:

http://www.cgaux.info/g_ocx/missions/aviation-op-branch.html

3. Coffee357

Coffee357

Thanks! I know I have a CAP Unit about 10 miles from the house but I had no idea about the USCGAUX. Looks like I have one of their units within about 30 miles. Have to look into both, I guess, and see which one I like.

Coffee

4. siedkick

siedkick

Seems to me that I've seen somewhere that we are not allowed to be armed while performing missions. I couldn't find it, but here is a paragraph along this topic from the counter-drug regs:

b. CAP members who are also law enforcement agents or officials cannot serve in a dual capacity while engaged in
    counterdrug operations as Civil Air Patrol members. These individuals cannot change roles during a counterdrug mission. If
    the member begins a mission as a CAP member, he/she must remain serving in the CAP member role until that specific
    operation has been terminated. Conversely, if a CAP member begins the mission in a law enforcement agent role, he/she
    cannot serve in a CAP role until that specific operation is terminated. As a general rule, CAP members shall refrain from any
    involvement that would appear to be a conflict of interest between a CAP role and an LEA action. If a CAP member, in
    his/her capacity of an LEA, is involved with a case requiring CAP support or has the authority to validate a CAP mission
    request, that individual will not participate in the mission in a CAP capacity. CAP members that are a law enforcement
    officer/agent will not in any way utilize CAP assets in direct or indirect support of their law enforcement agency. Such
    action may result in decertification of the mission and could result in

5. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Flying a CAP mission over rough inaccessable terrain seems like a particularly GOOD situation to have a gun.