Can't stand that fan no more

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sjfrellc, Sep 9, 2007.

1. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Remembering the scene in "Lonesome Dove". One of the characters in the book, kills her self and leaves a note that just says "I can't stand that wind no more."

What good is a computer if it's not superquiet? How can anyone stand the noise of any fan cooled Video Card.?

I've built and upgraded several computers recently and was happy with the EVGA e-GeForce 7600GS card. I bought the same card with a fan, because I wasn't looking hard enough at Newegg when I went to buy my third card. Man, am I dissapointed with the fan noise.

The fanless heatsink model scores 4.4 on the Vista Experience index.

Anyone have suggestions on a fanless model you like or a fan-cooled model that is silent?

I don't play games, but I was building some $550 systems for kids that so far are only playing World of Warcraft and this card above seems adequate.

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Guest

You can replace the fan on whatever card you have with a big 'ol heatsink withoug replacing the whole card.

Something like this, this, this or this.

They're a lot larger than what you have, so you need to be wary about fit. The first two take up all their room on the front of the card, the second pair on the back. Just depends on what your case internals look like.

3. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Thanks Havoc, That helps a lot I think the ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S2 VGA Cooler will work just fine.
    Here's my case. I don't see any potential fitting problems:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have you used any of these before?

4. HAVOC

HAVOC Guest

I've used the AeroCool VM-101 and the Zalman. The Zalman is fiddly, too many little parts to dink with.

The AeroCool works great, but I am using it on a much older card. Should be more than enough for your 7600, though.

I used the back of card model because I didn't want to lose any slots, but it's also a better design becasue it puts the heat right on top of your case fan. There can be a bit of a dead spot in the card slot area if you don't have adequate airflow from the front of the case. Plus, in a tower configuration, that puts the heatsink above the card so the heat doesn't rise right up into the card.

There are nicer heatsink setups, one or to that can be modified with fans that speed up as things get hotter. But ow you're looking at $45 for the cooler and another $12 for the fan. I get the impression that's not where you want to be.

5. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

I picked this card up for 100 and the fan is dead quiet once the drivers load. I've been running Overlord and Medieval 2 on max settings with almost no fan noise at all. It's also DX10 which you might not have a use for now but will in a year or so. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814122034

ETA: it's also a 5.5 Vista score.

6. sjfrellc

sjfrellc CLM

Hello silence my old friend!

Thanks again Havoc
    :thumbsup: :dancing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? CLM Millennium Member

Looks like you've got this solved. I'd also recommend the HD2600pro card, which is a totally decent (if not amazingly fast) video card, with only passive cooling, and DX10 -capable.