close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can't remove "cookie"

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Kyle1886, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Kyle1886

Kyle1886

I was just cleaning out my wife's PC of junk files and cookies as I normally do once a week. In the folder "Temporary Internet Files" there is a cookie that I cannot delete. "data.cmcore.com". I have run our usual virus scanner and Malwarebytes' and no malware shows up. (Malwarebytes' has found found questionable things in the past, but shows clean now).

I've never run across a cookie I could not delete. I did look it up on Google; not versed enough about cookie servers to do me much good. I did restart the PC a couple of times after trying to delete the cookie, it's still there. Click on it, then delete, and a "bonk" audio sound. Any idea on removing said cookie?

Respectfully

Kyle

2. solomansousana

solomansousana

I've run into this a few times, I have a program that is a DOD military grade file scrubber, this has always worked for me where the simple delete button failed.

3. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

4. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

malware bytes comes with an extra program..file assassin. just type in the file name and hit remove.its gone.Ive used it to remove "locked " files that otherwise were just taking up space and being junk.

and yes,its on the free version too.

5. Kyle1886

Kyle1886

Thanks guys, I'll give each a try and post back success or fail.

Really appreciate the info.

Respectfully..Kyle

6. Kyle1886

Kyle1886

Another Miller, Malwarebytes' File Assassin will not take out just one cookie within the Temporary Internet Files folder. It wants to zap the entire folder. If I zapped the whole folder with all the wife's password cookies for genealogy, etc. sites, I can kiss 49 years of marriage goodbye. (I don't know her passwords, and not to sure she remembers them either). I did backup the TIF folder, but if I had to restore it, the cookie will be in the restore. If I should zap the TIF folder, I assume that IE 8 will rebuild it on a reboot?

Markasaurus, SpyBot didn't do it either.

Thanks guys
    Kyle