cant read burned CD's

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jolt8me, Oct 12, 2005.

1. jolt8me

jolt8me Your the devil

I've been working on this problem for a while now.
    Heres the problem. I brun cd's on computer A and then try to have computer B read them. All computer B does it show the light come on on the cd drive and then stops after a while. I try to access the drive and i get a "D:drive is not ready" or something to that effect. The drvie will read other cd's just not ones i burn on computer A. Well thats not true it will read some and its anyones guess when i burn a cd if it will read in computer B or not. I am useing roxio easy cd creator 5 to burn but have also used silentnight. I've updated my firmware on computer B and have turned directcd off when burning. computer A is a p7-600mhz running windows 98 and computer B is running windows 95se and 133mhz. I'm not trying to read music cd's just transfering files from 1 computer to another.Computer A can read the burned cd's fine.

2. Blast

Blast 'nuff said

When you close CD after burning, do you check box that indicates whether CD can be read on other computers? I have Roxie and I have to do that.

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Many old CD drives on Windows 95 PC's won't read all CD-R's.Try different brand of CD's or a slower burning speed.This may still not help though.

4. ric0123

ric0123

I've had similar problems. First, make sure you are using good quality CD-R's. Try different brands, I like Fuji and Imations. I doubt that will fix it though. More likely its the CD-Rom in the older computer. My experience has been that if it is slower than a 12 cdrom its not going to read a burnt CD. With a machine as old as you are describing, I bet its an 8x. That is your culpret. Put a newer CDrom drive in the computer and I bet you will fix your problem.

5. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

burn a data cd with nero, see if that helps. it may just. media or bad ? dirty possibly, cd rom.

iffy ones (worn, dirty) can sometimes be fixed(temp) by running a cd cleaning disc, (the one with a built in little brush) thru it..

the laser read head gets dirty (and also discolored) and cleaning it may help some.

or replace the cd rom (a new cd rom is 15$)

but that 95 box is the ghost of a computer. don't expect much reliability.