close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cant get my Glock 29 to "group"

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RCR, Apr 5, 2012.

1. RCR

RCR

This is my first Glock and maybe I am just expecting too much.
    I have been primarily a Browning High Power Shooter and needed a nice conceal carry pistol and found the 29 at a local shop and traded a nice rifle for it. It was new in the box and so far I have run around 300 rounds through it and can not get consistent groups smaller than 6 inches at 20 yards with it.
    My Browning consistently shoots sub 3 in groups at this range. Now understand I never expected the Glock to shoot with my high Power but I am getting tighter groups with the Taurus PT 738 .380 than I can with the 29!!
    Tried different ammo and it seems about the same it's not all one way or the other it's just inconsistent. I expected much much better accuracy with a 10mm Glock. Is it the 29 running the hot 10mm round in a subcompact is just not that accurate or---??
    At first I though it was just that the trigger pull and feel was so different I just needed some trigger time but after running a few hundred rounds it's not getting much better so??
    To have a small .380 pocket pistol with those tiny sights consistently shoot rings around my Glock on the range is not cool.
    Any ideas on what could be wrong here??

2. JBP55

JBP55

Most people will shoot a full size 9mm better than a compact 10mm. Why did you expect better accuracy from a 10mm pistol? A G4 G17 9mm Glock would be a fair comparison.

3. RCR

RCR

I never expected the 29 to be a tack driver like my much more expensive High Power but did expect it to be more accurate than a $200 Taurus .380 pocket pistol:dunno:--it's not.
    There lies the problem I expected it to be at the least respectable.
    I never expected my Glock 29 (or ANY stock Glock) to shoot with THIS on the range
    [​IMG]
    However having THIS
    [​IMG]
    being consistently clobbered in accuracy by THIS
    [​IMG]
    is NOT respectable :upeyes:it's down right embarrassing:couch: !
    I have fired several Glocks and shoot pretty well with others just not this one. Question is WHY??

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  4. DeLo

DeLo

I believe you are limp wristing. haha- no but really you're flinching, the gun is more accurate than you. Have you ever shot 10mm before?

5. MRBULLRED

MRBULLRED ????????

It's you. My 29 sf is very accurate.:)

6. Goat 36

Goat 36

I would honestly have to assume that moving from the BHP platform (have one, myself) to the Glock platform with no prior experience with Glocks would most likely be a big factor.

I just bought a G29 within the last month and it's one of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired.

At same distance I was able to keep a 2.5" group no problem with fmj's. Not sure but I think 180's.

Granted, I have a good amount of experience with Glocks, all different frame sizes/shapes and heavier and mild calibers.

I 'HOPE' I'm right and you'll work things out after a bit.

Remember, Glocks are a little less forgiving of grip technique and trigger control due to the lighter polymer frame and they tend to exaggerate any inconsistencies in this which will show in your accuracy/groupings.

7. JBP55

JBP55

You may not be capable of accuracy with the 10mm but the pistol is capable. Sounds as if you can handle a .380 and a 9mm but not a 10mm. :supergrin:

8. Goat 36

Goat 36

So, more trigger time.

Remember, your first answer is usually the best.

9. The Pirate

The Pirate Grandmaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Your gonna have to practice. If your not used to a magnum powered gun, your not gonna shoot it well. Try a small DA .357, I bet you don't shoot it real well either. Good luck.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. RCR

RCR

Thanks guys. Yes my son owned a S/W in 10mm and I loved his and shot well with it.
    I'm 6:2 230 a simi Pro Guitarist with big hands who works on hand strength daily. Might well be technique or a flinch but it's absolutely not a "limp wristing" issue.
    I have had several friends shoot this one and all have not shot well with it. I have also run a number of rounds through the Glock 30 in .45 that one of the local ranges has and I shoot MUCH better with it than my 29. Granted the recoil is also MUCH lighter with the 30.
    I am going out with my son on Saturday to a range that has a good bench rest. Let's see what happens then with this one.

11. RCR

RCR

Might be right on this as the 29 with hot loads is quite a handful! I have been running the Priv 180 grain HP stuff on the range with it and that is about like a +P .40. Still not grouping with it. I might just have to find something beefier like the Colt Delta Elite or a Kimber if I stay with the 10mm!

12. Sammael

Sammael Ich tu dir Weh.

My G29 was one of my most accurate firearms I had ever owned... and I've owned a few. :)

Would consistently provide excellent groupings up to and including 25 yds.

If you want to sell that horribly inaccurate weapon (at a discounted price, since it obviously has serious problems), I would certainly be interested in buying it. :)

13. RCR

RCR

Thanks for the replies guys. The guys at one of my local ranges really are down on the 29 saying that it is just not accurate and "squirrely".
    If others here are saying that the platform is accurate then looks like I got's to get me some trigger time and do some wood shedding with it!
    I still feel "off" shooting a Glock after all those years shooting a 1911 or High Power so looks like I'm gonna be going through some rounds.
    Just ordered a few hundred rounds of this so---.
    http://www.targetsportsusa.com/p-32...80-grain-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-50.aspx

14. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

I highly doubt that the accuracy issue you're having is due to a problem with the gun. Have you let a friend/relative shoot it to see how well they group with it?

15. Inebriated

Inebriated

Dry fire when you aren't shooting live ammo...

Dry fire it until you're comfortable with the trigger, then go to the range. Dry fire at the target a couple times. Take a few shots, focusing completely on trigger pull/sight alignment, and then dry fire again to make sure your are flinching (which I suspect you are). If you have snap caps, have someone load them in the mag randomly, and that'll show if you're flinching. The Glock is an accurate gun. It's more accurate than you or me. So make sure your fundamentals are sound. A gun with a lot of recoil and a different trigger will take getting used to.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  16. T Hutch

T Hutch

I suggest you try and shoot it with a bench rest, and also let another person shoot it, to see where it's at. Also try some different loads to see if your pistol likes one over the other. It could be your not use to the strong 10mm load, but glock does have Millions of guns in circulation so there's is a possibility you got one a little off.

17. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Check out underwoodammo.com for full power 10mm ammo.

18. Chris Miller

Chris Miller

Moving from a 1911 to a Glock is certainly a big jump. It's fairly easy to be accurate on a gun with a single action trigger.... and I know the glock doesn't have the feel of a true double action but its not the same as a single action either.

With that being said, the sub compact glocks can be just as accurate as a 1911. Just takes practice. I carry a G29 as well... moved from a full sized Kimber Super Carry Custom.

19. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

It's a ten... you don't actually have to hit with it.. just shooting in the general area is enough to vaporize anything in the general vicinity of the round's path. :)

I know a guy who shot an epic score in one of ayoobs classes with the 10.

Maybe try another g29. If the shots are still all over creation, it's probably not the gun. If everything runs better with the other g29, then there is possibly something wrong with your gun.

20. roundball

roundball

My G29 is as accurate as my G20 and twenty-five yards. That's far more accurate than necessary for close in defensive shooting. Might suggest shooting off sandbags to narrow down problems. The 10mm's with full power loads are a handful. After shooting one handgun exclusively swapping to another is awkward for me. Also, you are looking at a short sight radius which puts you at a disadvantage.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012