close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cant get 45's off my mind

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DannyB, Jan 3, 2010.

1. DannyB

DannyB

This is damn near like AA. Hi, my name is Danny. I have a 45 problem.

I just can’t quit wanting to buy another 45. I am completely convinced that I can do anything that I pray that I don’t have to do with a 40 or a 9mm. However, there is just something about a 45 that I can’t get past. It isn’t a 1911 thing. I don’t even like 1911’s. It is this macho “man” thing about a 45.

When ammo went through the roof I sold all 45’s. I kept one G22 and now shoot it and a few other Glock 9mm’s. However, there is this huge “Man Magnet” making me want another 45 just because it is a “Man” thing to do. Am I crazy?

I know it is Saturday night and I am bored. However, I know where there is a guy wanting to trade a like new looking G21SF for a G26. If that G21SF just happened to be a non-ambi mag release gun, which I have five new mags for, I am just jumping to trade for it. I know damn well that if I do it I will call my gun dealer buddy Monday morning and tell him to get me another G26….now!

HELP! Somebody tell me that I don’t need this thing. I have a nearly full box of 45 Gold Dots I am about to go throw over the back fence into the pasture just to make me forget about it………no not really.

Damn I need to go shoot that sweet G26 again tomorrow just to get this 45 crap off my mind.

2. raven11

raven11

to be honest going to GT to get your mind off of guns is like going to your favorite bar to stop your drinking habit

psst... start reloading .45:whistling:

3. DannyB

DannyB

4. raven11

raven11

5. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

You got that right! Just when I'm completely satisfied with what I have, here comes something else from GT that becomes a must-purchase.

6. chris in va

chris in va

Something about 45's isn't there. I only have one, a Sig 220 but something about that massive hole that makes me grin. It really makes one wonder just how JMB settled on such a large diameter bullet for a semiauto pistol. Everything up to that point was pretty small, right?

I just recently started casting 230gr 45's and can't get over just how heavy that sucker is, especially compared to my 125gr 9mm. They look like buckshot in comparison.

7. raven11

raven11

i did a little digging and this is what i came up with

The Thompson-LaGarde Tests were a series of tests conducted in 1904 to determine which caliber should be used in new military handguns. The US Army's fighting men had considerable difficulty stopping the Moro warriors and other combatants with the .38 Long Colt, and the Army began to consider the problem.

After the tests, Thompson and LaGarde stated, "the Board was of the opinion that a bullet, which will have the shock effect and stopping effect at short ranges necessary for a military pistol or revolver, should have a caliber not less than .45." This may have been viewed by them as a reasonable recommendation in the face of inconclusive evidence, an idea furthered by their recommendation that "...soldiers armed with pistols or revolvers should be drilled unremittingly in the accuracy of fire" if there was "no hope of stopping an adversary by shock or other immediate results."

Following the 1904 Thompson-LaGarde pistol round effectiveness tests, Colonel John T. Thompson stated that the new pistol "should not be of less than .45 caliber" and would preferably be semi-automatic in operation.<sup id="cite_ref-Poyer_3-2" class="reference">[4]</sup> This led to the 1906 trials of pistols from six firearms manufacturing companies (namely, Colt, Bergmann, Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM), Savage Arms Company, Knoble, Webley, and White-Merril).

8. carbuncle

carbuncle is not cool.

I have to admit I am drawn to the .45 as well...I haven't had one for years, but I am obsessively looking over the Para site at the Hawg, the GI Expert and the Nite Hawg all while reminiscing on how fun the G30 is to shoot...

9. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

It's not a "man thing".......I just like big holes!

Don't let your imagination get carried away, now! :rofl:

hog

10. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

admitting it is your 1st step

It's not a problem really ...as in your old pal Flipper's safe there are a few home-built 1911s and a P7. That's it for centerfire pistols.

Life is good.

11. mr00jimbo

mr00jimbo

I always think of a .45 auto as like the small block chevy of calibers.

12. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Buick GSX stage II is a more appropo analogy.'08.

13. 380Seecamp

380Seecamp

I'm sure Mr. Browning was familiar with the effectiveness of the .45 Colt in revolvers. Getting similar power in a higher capacity semi-auto would appeal to the military, no doubt.

[​IMG]

14. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I think your problem is that you don't have one.
    No you are being very rational.
    The 26 is the best Glock IMO, I have two of them, but the 26 is not the answer to your lack of a 45. I have 5 full size 45 auto pistols, one N Frame 45 ACP revolver, two compact 45 autos and a derringer in 45 ACP. Doing without a 45 ACP would not suit me at all and it does not seem to suit you either. Do the right thing.

15. kirgi08

A G27/G30 is Glocks best "subs" IMHO.I own more G27s than G30s'.So where do ya think I fall on the opinion poll?.'08. :wavey:

16. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

If I had a Glock it would be the 30.

17. kirgi08

A G23 is a better choice,IMHO.'08.

18. bac1023

bac1023

Me too :whistling:

[​IMG]

19. Brucev

Brucev

I can't blame you for having an abiding interest in .45 ACP handguns. Istarted out with a COLT Combat Commander in .45 ACP. Then I moved on to various S&W .38/357 revolvers and of course the .44 Mag. in revolvers by S&W and Ruger. Then came the 9mm and always again some type of .45 ACP. Now I have a G-22, a S&W M-18 and M28 and two .45 ACP handguns... a S&W 625-2 and a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911-A1. Out of the entire bunch, if pushed to choose only one caliber, I'd take the .45 ACP. If pushed to pick only one handgun... I'd take the S&W 625.

20. CharlestonG26

CharlestonG26

Nice photo. Herringbone is one of my favorite patterns.