close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can't even boot in SAFE mode.... Please help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dave S, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Dave S

Dave S

I have two HP a1120n desktops in the house.

The one the wife and I store documents, pics, files.... decided to gaff me off.

Last night, I ran a scan of Norton Internet Security immediatly after running SpySweeper. I hit the rack after three minutes into the scan and figured I'd close everying out and start my morning GT and ARFCOM constitution. Nope.............

I touched the mouse and the screen came up with a failure to start WINDOWS properly and to choose the three Safe Mode operations or try WINDOWS start-up one more time.

The computer takes off with whatever choice I make and comes back the that EAT DIRT AND DIE screen of three Safe Mode and regular WINDOWS start-up choices.

I was wondering if the virus definitions where corrupted and place the Norton Internet Security disk in to boot off of. After three hours and some minutes the screen showed that the C drive had been scanned along with two boot records and memory. No viruses.

Still, can't get anything other than the EAT DIRT AND DIE screen.

It has a 10gig recovery drive but........ I am a computer doofus.

Dave S

And please don't tell me to speak to some slithery voiced off-shore Indian. Can't understand a word they say if I can't also watch the lips... hard to do on the phone.

2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

You're not making a lot of sense. Leaving out the satire might have helped, because it didnt' make any sense anyways and really wasn't all that funny.

Just to be clear, when you make a choice at the menu, do you actually get Windows to start in the selected mode (Safe, normal, etc?) or does it just come back to the menu w/o starting Windows?

If the latter is the case, I have no idea what would cause that, I can't see corrupted virus definitions doing that. Personally, I'd slave the drive to the working PC, copy everything of importance and relevance, and format it. If you're getting to Windows, immediately back up all your important data, and then begin to investigate the problem.

IGF

3. Dave S

Dave S

Sorry, I thought I was being crystal.

At the touch of the mouse (first time) or at power turn-on, this screen pops up for a few seconds:
    [​IMG]

Then this screen... for a about 0.65432 seconds:

[​IMG]

And then the EAT DIRT AND DIE SCREEN (pic any of the four choices on this screen and it wraps around to the first pic, then second and back to the EAT DIRT AND DIE SCREEN.

[​IMG]

Dave S

4. jack19512

jack19512

Are you able to choose the recovery console in the second pic?

5. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

Your first choice is

"last known good configuration"

This is a fail safe that will reset you to the settings that your computer used the last time it booted up successfully.

I would choose this first. If that fails we can try somthing else.

K

6. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

Now, in english. With out slang...What happens when you choose "Start windows normally"?

What happens when you choose "Safe mode"?

does it give you an error?

K

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

He gets the EAT DIRT and DIE screen. :upeyes: :upeyes:

Thats why I gave up on this one.., if he can't talk in English so someone an help him, he might be better off calling some off shore Indian, I think they would communicate perfectly.

IGF

8. Dave S

Dave S

What's so hard?

I even gave you pictures and named the last one the EAT DIRT AND DIE screen.

I gave you pics of what comes on the monitor in the manner that they show up.... no matter what of the four (4) choices are chosen.

I told you that choosing any of the four (4) choices would just have the monitor "wrap" the three (3) pictures around again... leaving the third pic on the screen. Oh, yeah, did I already say that I named the third pic the EAT DIRT AND DIE screen?

Thanx.

If you were given four choices and that choosing any particular one of the four did nothing more than bring you back to the point of being asked to pic one of four choices... well, hell, don't you think that you're being told to "EAT DIRT AND DIE"?

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well apparently I wasn't the only one that didnt' understand you.

IGF

10. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

So it just restarts on all of them? Even the "last known good configuration"?

Well, im sorry to say that it doesn’t look good. You could try using the repair option on your windows disk, but my experience is that repair doesn’t always work.

If there is any information on the computer that you need, you could use another computer to recover it.

Do you have access to a computer guy?

If there isn’t anything you need to keep, then your best bet is to reinstall the Operating system.

K

11. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Sounds like you lost the driver for the hard drive, this could particularly be true if it's an SATA drive. If you have the original Windows CD you can do a non-destructive re-install of the OS which should re-install the missing driver. Insert the CD and do a repair. Not the console mode repair, but the second one. You may also need your driver CD that came with the computer.

If this isn't understandable you might need to call the dreaded off-shore tech support. Sometimes they aren't too bad, just be patient.