close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can't determine eye dominance?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glock30user, Nov 27, 2012.

1. glock30user

glock30user

So I have been shooting for a few years and am left handed. I have always been left eye dominant in the past, so no prob. When I checked today , by using both hands in front of me and making a circle, then bringing it to my eyes, the right eye was dominant. The problem is that if I use another method, placing finger over a point in the distance then close one eye, the sight is the same with the left eye open but way off with the right eye shut. Has anyone ever heard of different results with the two test. If I am truly right eye dom I'm learning to shoot right handed - it's got to be easier than brass and hot gases in the face...

2. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

The circle method works better, but if you're doing the finger method...make sure you focus on the tip of your finger when you put it over an object, not the object.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

3. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

I was told to use a triangle.

I'm both handed but mostly right. I can't see far off with my left eye and can't see close up with my right.

With glasses my left eye is always better.

I shoot right handed and close my left eye while shooting. It is odd science.

4. CAcop

CAcop

Circle method works better.

5. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

I am left eye dominant but always shot trap right handed. I was always too lazy or cheap to get my trap gun restocked with the correct offset to try shooting left handed, so I always put petroleum jelly on the left lens to force myself to focus on the target with my right eye. Not the best approach but it helped.

6. glock30user

glock30user

Just grabbed my handgun w/ laser. Put the irons on a point, turned on the laser, still on target then closed my left eye and the irons were way off from the laser. Switched to left eye only and back on target (I tried it both left and right handed w same results). Also with my AK I had a very difficult time getting a sight picture from the right shoulder with the right eye. I am still confused by the outcome of the circle method for determining dominance. In the past it showed I was left eye dominant. I guess I will keep running as a southpaw.

7. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

Also keep in mind your eye dominance and which hand you shoot with are not associated with one another. For example...I'm right handed, left eye dominant. You can train yourself to switch to any combination you like if you wish, or just go with what comes natural.