close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can't delete a virus

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by crater, May 2, 2006.

1. crater

crater NRA Member

O.K. So I am going to sound stupid. On my home computer, McAfee has caught a virus, but I cannot delete it, cancell it, or quarantee it. The virus is Trojan:Exploit-byte-verify,jv/s....I also have been asked if I want to delete the file-..........but when I say yes, I get the message that I cannot delete it.

Any simple, because I am, steps or ideas? Is this a dangerous virus?

Thanks...

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Run your anti-virus program with your PC in Safe mode.If it can't remove it then you should be able to delete the file in Safe mode.

3. malkore

malkore

yep, safe mode should be able to do it. also make sure Mcafee is up to date on definitions and program version.

lastly, some AV programs allow you to 'delete file on next reboot', which is sorta like safe mode, as it kills the file before Windows launches so the file isn't being 'used and can't be removed at this time'.

4. Blue59

Blue59

The reason it won't let you delete it is because Windows has marked the file as "in use".

To get around that, there are utiities you can use to move files on boot--before Windows starts, and prevents it. With most you can either move the file to a separate folder you choose, send it to the recycle bin or delete it completely. "MoveOnBoot" is the name of one free one.

This is a nice sort of utility to have anyway, as sometimes when programs crash they may leave a file you were working on marked as "open", and it can be copied elsewhere but the OS won't allow it to be re-saved, moved or deleted. SO first you copy it elsewhere (resulting in a closed copy) and then you use the boot-mover to get rid of the fuxed file.

Although deleting a virus or trojan does not guarantee the infection is gone. Many viruses/trojans will copy themselves multiple places on your hard drive and every time you reboot, one or more will "run" and verify that all the copies are in place and re-copy any that are not. If you can "delete" a virus file but it keeps "coming back" when you reboot, this is what is happening. And then you have to look up ALL the places the virus/trojan is known to put files, and make sure they're all gone (or loaded into your boot-deleter program) before rebooting.
    ~

5. crater

crater NRA Member

Thanks for all the info and help. I was actually able to delete the file by turning off the computer, restarting as usual, "not is safe",
    then running another scan. It caught the file again of course, but this time when I was asked if I wanted to delete it, I said yes and it was gone.

I hope it stays gone.

Thanks again to everybody. some great information to file away......:beer: