close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can't defrag!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DaleGribble, Feb 1, 2006.

1. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

For some reason my defrag isn't working properly. I started it up this morning before I went to bed and left it running. I got up this afternoon and it was still running, 0% completed.

I'm running WindowsME.

I use Ccleaner everyday, religiously, but this computer is still running kind of slow.

2. nickg

nickg

try defrag while in Safe Mode and see if that works better.

too bad there aren't too many "freeware" defrag programs that are of any worth. and any "free" downloads are usually just "trial" versions.

the only good free one i've come across is O&O Defrag 2000, but it's not as full function or as fast as O&O Professional that i had a "trial" version of for 30 days. but then again, what do you really need a defrag program to do......other than DEFRAG!! ;f

3. 9mm Luger

9mm Luger GLOCK 26

+1
    Try to defrag in safe mode, a simple screen saver starting up can throw defrag back to the begining.

Although I am in the air with third party defrag utilties, I think the Windows defrag utility does the best job. One of the biggest POS is Norton Utilities...nothing but trash on a CD IMHO. ;Q

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I think the XP defragger does pretty good as it is a scaled down version of diskeeper. The earlier versions of windows though....I hate those. Do a search for diskeeper lite. It has been discontinued, but was free and did much better than the old win98 one. But yeah, I always had to do it in safemode when I was running win 98.

5. aspartz

aspartz

In 98se, I could never defrag unless ALL of the windows were closed. If you even leave the "My Computer" open defrag will continue to restart endlessly.

ARS

6. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Too many goblins running around in a normal boot, SAFE mode and try Norton's defrag.

7. pyblood

pyblood

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

Give Diskeeper Lite a go and see if you like it. It has annoying pop-up asking you to buy the full version, but it works if you want an alternative.

How much free space do you have on your HD?

8. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Download Diskeeper Lite while you still can!!It is no longer available free from the company's website,just from Majorgeeks.I'm not sure about Windows ME but the defragmenter in Windows 2000 and Windows XP is based on Diskeeper.The Windows 98 defragmenter doesn't work properly even if it does a complete run.When installing this or any other program,restart/reboot the PC before running Ccleaner.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207

you should also get OleClean for Windows ME

http://www.majorgeeks.com/OleClean_d452.html

9. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Since you're going to defrag your hard drive you may as well defrag the entire drive. Whenever I defrag a drive I remove the pagefile, then defrag the drive and finally recreate the pagefile. Some of the others may disagree with me and I realize that the pagefile usually isn't very fragmented, however it can over time become defragmented enough to affect system performance.