GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Proud NRA Life Patron Member, Life GSSF member
7,256 Posts
One last comment. Gun Games offer categories for the platforms. The more bells and whistles I. E optics, porting, long slides, the more specialized the categories. Many gun games also do not recognize the middle of the road platforms as separate and will keep with their own crowd.
Multiple barrels and calibers might also disqualify the Gun other than special status.

If you are looking to carry and compete, the more vanilla your choice the easier it will be to blend in to a category that fits your skill and gun platform.

Reactions: Joe in Fl

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
9,353 Posts
I couldn't decide on my first Glock either so I went to a gun range and rented both the G17 and G19. I chose the G19 because it was easier to conceal.

Reactions: vba and budman74

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
One last comment. Gun Games offer categories for the platforms. The more bells and whistles I. E optics, porting, long slides, the more specialized the categories. Many gun games also do not recognize the middle of the road platforms as separate and will keep with their own crowd.
Multiple barrels and calibers might also disqualify the Gun other than special status.

If you are looking to carry and compete, the more vanilla your choice the easier it will be to blend in to a category that fits your skill and gun platform.
The local shooting league is USPSA so I'll have to look into the different classes and what is/is not allowed. Thank you!

·
7,256 Posts
The local shooting league is USPSA so I'll have to look into the different classes and what is/is not allowed. Thank you!
Last comment, find a Mentor, it will save you great expense, time and money. I would usually carry extra guns, ammo and mags to allow newcomers a taste of what to expect.

Reactions: budman74

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I may very well be one of the only few that DOES NOT OWN a 9 mm GLock and I'm looking to purchase my first to add to my Glock Collection. I've only shot 45 acp and own 5 of these (and one G23 that is a safe queen), all Glocks. I'm leaning towards either the G19x, G43x or G48. Having never owned a 9 mm I'm not sure which one to take home first!!!! I know it's not a problem to complain about but I just don't know which one I want first! I keep going back to 19x with 43x in a close 2nd place! What to do, what to do?
I have only 2 9mm. Look at the gen.3 19 and the gen.5

·
Federal Member
29,224 Posts
1st Glock 9mm to buy?

G34 Gen 5. It's on my list.

:thumbsup:

Reactions: Jdirt and budman74

·
9mm Kind of Guy
307 Posts
The Glock 19 is the best 9mm from Glock ...
I stick with it ... 19X, Y or Z don't make me at least curious ...
Try the original and see by yourself ...

·
NRA Benefactor
5,265 Posts
Too bad your G23 is a safe queen. You can get a 40S&W-9mm conversion barrel and some G19 or G17 magazines and you would have a G19 clone.

From that you could figure is you wanted to go up to the G17 or G34 or down to the G26 or the X variants.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,265 Posts
I couldn't decide on my first Glock either so I went to a gun range and rented both the G17 and G19. I chose the G19 because it was easier to conceal.
I went to a GSSF match with a G20C with a 40S&W barrel. One of the range masters caught it and that moved me into Unlimited. The extra barrel came with the gun and I honestly didn't know at the time but I didn't want to shoot 10mm through an entire match.

Funny thing was one of the range masters on the line didn't know I was shooting 40S&W instead of 10mm and commented on how loud the gun was.

·
7,256 Posts
For Competition in a Production Class, whether it be GSSF, USPSA, IDPA or Steel Challenge the 17 would be the best bet. One can always participate in a higher class with a vanilla model, but cannot go down. The 19 does not offer any privileges nor special category and must compete with the 17 side by side.

Again if Competition is not the objective, one can go with what others suggest as the latest and greatest mousetrap mimicking their latest acquisitions.

·
Glocked out, have a new SIGness!
1,233 Posts
For Competition in a Production Class, whether it be GSSF, USPSA, IDPA or Steel Challenge the 17 would be the best bet. One can always participate in a higher class with a vanilla model, but cannot go down. The 19 does not offer any privileges nor special category and must compete with the 17 side by side.

Again if Competition is not the objective, one can go with what others suggest as the latest and greatest mousetrap mimicking their latest acquisitions.
Mousetrap?

·
7,256 Posts
Mousetrap?
Mousetrap= apparatus that bests previous manufactured product.

Ps. Many buy according to the latest release, regardless of actual need, or fit to purpose.
Or mechanical resolution to a perceived issue of need.

·
Free Full Clip!
17,124 Posts
I may very well be one of the only few that DOES NOT OWN a 9 mm GLock and I'm looking to purchase my first to add to my Glock Collection. I've only shot 45 acp and own 5 of these (and one G23 that is a safe queen), all Glocks. I'm leaning towards either the G19x, G43x or G48. Having never owned a 9 mm I'm not sure which one to take home first!!!! I know it's not a problem to complain about but I just don't know which one I want first! I keep going back to 19x with 43x in a close 2nd place! What to do, what to do?
Go with a G45. Same proportions as the 19x but all black the way Glocks were meant to be instead of Coyote Turd Yellow like the 19x or the butt-ugly two-tone silver and black like the G43x and the G48. The G45 also does not have that lip on the front of the grip like the D19x does which allows the G45 to use all generations of magazines without changing floorplates.

I've shot a G45 and a G19x both, and I really like the proportions and the balance of both those guns. I've always preferred the G19 to the G17 but the G45 with the G17 grip I like even better, even though the regular G19 is a little more concealable. I don't like the Gen 5 G19's because of the front magazine half-moon cut-out but I like the fact that it has no finger grooves.

·
Glocked out, have a new SIGness!
1,233 Posts
Go with a G45. Same proportions as the 19x but all black the way Glocks were meant to be instead of Coyote Turd Yellow like the 19x or the butt-ugly two-tone silver and black like the G43x and the G48. The G45 also does not have that lip on the front of the grip like the D19x does which allows the G45 to use all generations of magazines without changing floorplates.

I've shot a G45 and a G19x both, and I really like the proportions and the balance of both those guns. I've always preferred the G19 to the G17 but the G45 with the G17 grip I like even better, even though the regular G19 is a little more concealable. I don't like the Gen 5 G19's because of the front magazine half-moon cut-out but I like the fact that it has no finger grooves.
So because you say so, Glocks are supposed to be black? Hmmm interesting. I had no idea that you were the be all end all authority of what people are supposed to like. I like the color of the 19X and it was that color for a reason, same as the Sig that won the contract.

I will get a memo out to Smyrna so they know to check with you before making decisions.

21 - 40 of 87 Posts