Can't Bank On The Weed Money

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jan 14, 2020.

1. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student Silver Member

A few years ago, I had occasion to host for a presentation Bertha Madras, Ph.D., a professor of psychobiology at Harvard Medical School (https://www.mcleanhospital.org/profile/bertha-madras).

Dr. Madras spoke about the science of marijuana -- the knowns and the "known unknowns." What was crystal clear from her presentation is that permanent physiological changes occur in the brain development of (a) fetuses exposed to marijuana through their mothers, and (b) individuals engaged in early (i.e., teen/pre-teen) and heavy use. The effects on the formation of their amyglada and hippocampus were clearly visible, resulting in reduced connectivity.

Below are just a handful of the 70+ slides from her presentation that, again, focused only on the science of marijuana.

Bertha Madras Presentation - Amygdala & Hippocampus.jpg

Bertha Madras Presentation - 2 - Purity.jpg

Bertha Madras Presentation - 3 - Quality Control.jpg

Bertha Madras Presentation - 4 - Marijuana vs Tobacco.jpg

2. rj1939

rj1939

Our dispensary looks like a black friday sale at Best Buy, curious to see how long that can hold up. Those lines don't seem to move very fast.
    Wonder if they take EBT?

FullClip and syntaxerrorsix like this.

3. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

Yes, Police officers doing there job is an inconvenience to drug Cartels.:cop:

4. thespork

thespork

Trying to put people in prison for drying out and smoking a plant isn't their job...or at least it shouldn't be..
    Are Budweiser and Coors the alcohol "cartel"?
    What about Phillip Morris, are they the tobacco "cartel"?
    Was the coca cola I just enjoyed provided by the corn syrup "cartel"?
    Everything sounds more evil when you call it a "cartel"...
    Cartel, cartel, cartel ooga booga

HarlDane and syntaxerrorsix like this.
  5. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

You clearly missed the point. He was pointing out the hypocrisy of those that purport to champion rights and liberty but spend an inordinate amount of time denying liberties to people that they don't agree with.

Reading is fundamental.... comprehension? Priceless.

HarlDane likes this.
  6. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I thought barry said it was Ok for federal banks to set up accounts funded by weed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/283855/

7. 1bigK

1bigK

That would depend on whether you are talking to feds or state. Much of the issue with the feds is that pot had been listed on the same schedule of illegal drugs as heroin, lsd, etc. That and long standing prejudices. For many (mostly older lawmakers) pot has long been thought of in the same way that it is listed. While many younger lawmakers are not as ridgid I their thinking.

While I don’t agree with legalizing pot for recreational use, it is not in the same class of intoxicant as heroin and many others.

8. 1bigK

1bigK

Except in MJ’s case it is not about the low hanging fruit, but more accurately it is the potential for additional income tax revenue into the state coffers. Problem is (at least here in Co) that much of that new found tax income is frittered away on a long list of programs, etc. to supposedly offset the net effects on legal pot. But I don’t think that LE is seeing any of those gains, and they are dealing with these net effects first hand.

9. syntaxerrorsix

It would depend on if you are on the side of liberty or authoritarianism. Legal MJ is state issue as the Federal goverment has no constitutional authority to regulate or classify drugs.

Now granted the taxes have convinced many legislators to get on board, but it is low hanging fruit to the liberty minded folks out there. Those people don't care for the nanny state or it's prohibition. The net affect is null, just because it was illegal before doesn't mean people weren't using it.

10. 1bigK

1bigK

The state has collected their share of the take (taxes) and still there is never enough to go around for what is needed. Promises were made about how schools would be collecting all of this new tax income and so could start to fix their backlog of needed repairs, but when the truth came out (after rev pot was passed by voters) how much those schools get is not close to what was “promised”. Typical politician double talk. The state is still scrambling and prioritizing what gets done and what can wait every year.

In other words, we got lied to again (SURPRISE) and last year $200M in taxes disappeared into the black hole known as the state budget. Roads still need repairs, schools still need new roofs, etc.

Tvov, Lagamor, FullClip and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 Unapologetic Deplorable.

I assume if you smoke that crap you'll have been smoking it before they made it quasi-legal. At most we'd write you a ticket akin to a traffic ticket here, tho now its legal. But before it was wouldn't you have had to have a supplier who no doubt could beat out Govt. by far in both quality and price? And for no Tax's.

So why would anybody go to some dispensary and pay all that dough for something you can get a lot cheaper and a lot better elsewhere? I dont use it but If I did my choice would be easy.

12. amd65

amd65

Except the illicit market weed doesn’t come close to the quality of properly grown commercial weed. It’s like comparing bathtub gin to Moët.

1bigK likes this.
  13. 1bigK

1bigK

I am not firmly on either side, liberty or authoritarianism, I lean towards right or wrong. In the case of pot I am against it, but a lot of that has to do with how it happened. The MJ industry had told a lot of lies and made a lot of promises about self policing that they never intended to honor. A lot of BS claims about pot curing everything from hangnail to glaucoma did not help their case as far as I am concerned. Sham doctors were writing sham Rxs for anything and everything from day 1. But the state also told their fair share of whoppers to help their cause as well. All they really cared about was the $$$.

Here medical pot was legal before recreational, and the abuses of this system were plainly obvious and done in the open from day 1. Anything related to med pot very closely resembled the Wild, Wild West and no one really cared as long as they got their share of the money. LE could only do so much as their hands were somewhat tied behind their backs.

I know that there are some medical benefits from cannabis for some conditions, and that part I am in support of. But as soon as the door was cracked open a little all hell broke loose. Now pot is everywhere and and the laws appears to be not much more than a suggestion ignored by many.

That level of flagrant abuse is why I am against legalization, even though that ship has sailed here in Commiefornia East years ago. However this is probably pretty close to the genie in the bottle type of situation. I do not see things ever going back to what they were before, too much money changing hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Pluto57

Pluto57

Being illegal under federal law makes it illegal. The feds could shut it all down tomorrow, if they were so inclined. That's unlikely, of course. I agree that marijuana shouldn't be in the same category as heroin, et al, but until it is removed from that category, pot businesses will continue to be illegal under federal law.

15. syntaxerrorsix

The government telling people what they can and cannot ingest is wrong.... At least in my mind and in the minds of the voting majority in 33 states.

Plenty of things are abused, those are personal responsibilities not the responsiblity of the federal government.

16. syntaxerrorsix

We'll all look back on these posts in about 4-5 years and laugh. Prohibition is on it's way out. It's only a matter of time.

faceplant and Lagamor like this.
  17. Pluto57

Pluto57

There is a difference between theoretical unconstitutionality and reality. In reality, the government has declared itself, via the SCOTUS (the only court set up by the Constitution), to have sweeping powers of control. That's unlikely to change.

syntaxerrorsix likes this.
  18. syntaxerrorsix

No doubt, we continue to let the federal goverment usurp the COTUS and with it 10A powers.

19. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Correct.
    They have to launder it to get the smell out of it.

:D

20. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Right, and like gun control, it's difficult to have an intelligent conversation with someone who actually professes to believe that.