Can't Bank On The Weed Money

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Jan 14, 2020 at 10:20 AM.

1. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

One thing that is proving to be an issue here with Maine coming close to opening the doors of recreational marijuana stores is that due to federal laws banks can't handle the money. There must be some way around it as other states are allowing the sales to go through. But it does bring up the question of things like using proceeds derived from the sales to pay off debts at banks, such as mortgages and car loans. I think here in Maine, the state worries more about making sure they have records to make sure they get their tax money from the sellers. I also wonder how the Federal IRS is gonna' deal with the income tax due from the growers and sellers, payroll taxes and such.

https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Ma...insurance-access-lawmaker-says-566970651.html

Maine cannabis needs bank, insurance access, lawmaker says

PARIS, Maine (AP) A Maine legislator is calling on the state's legislative body to push the U.S. Congress to make banking and insurance accessible to legalized cannabis businesses.

Republican Rep. John Andrews of Paris says he intends to introduce a resolution to the Maine Legislature on Tuesday calling for Congress to make the moves.

He says many legal cannabis businesses operate mostly with cash and with no insurance because of federal regulations.

A copy of the resolution is expected to go to President Donald Trump, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and each member of Maine's delegation.

orangejeep06, Ramjet38 and Dr. Bill like this.
  2. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

What kinda yard ya got?

I got a hammock tent

syntaxerrorsix and FullClip like this.

3. FullClip

Ha-Ha...you can stay at the camp. No running water, and a privy, but right on the lake. Can cast for fish right off the front steps.

orangejeep06 likes this.
  4. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

Ask the Biden's/Clinton's/Kerry's/Obama's/McConnell's how they "clean up" their $$$

jimcorbin, Cmacc, Hartford and 6 others like this.
  5. DonD

DonD

Well, if Maine is like Colorado, the state will be paying more out in new drug rehab facilities than they get from taxes.

And, again like CO, their vehicular accident rate will jump way up. Nothing good comes from pacifying the stoners. Don

IDCG, nerr, Lockback and 15 others like this.
  6. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

I will take you up on that.....can I poop in peace?

glock1097 and FullClip like this.
  7. Tvov

Tvov

Holy crap, you are veering into a poop thread......

jimcorbin and FullClip like this.
  8. FullClip

Sure, if the mosquitoes, spiders and squirrels don't freak you out too much. The camp does have an early 60 Frigidaire that works wicked good at keeping beer cold.

orangejeep06, G19Tony and Von Hayes like this.
  9. Gino

Gino Millennium Member

Yep, how can anything good come from adding another layer of drugs between us and real life? I'm not surprised that Colorado is having trouble...

Lockback, DonD, TBO and 4 others like this.
  10. lazarus66

lazarus66

We've had illegal weed forever and the banks don't mind that money....

R_P_K_, Cmacc, ZekerMan and 5 others like this.
  11. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

Is ok I summon UFOs and improvise crude weap9ns?

G19Tony and FullClip like this.
  12. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

People are going to smoke marijuana regardless of whether it's legal. If it's legal at least people will know that they're buying weed that's not adulterated with something that's going to kill them or make them ill. Legal marijuana also cuts into Mexican drug cartels profits.

Not everyone who smokes it is a 'stoner'. My wife would like for it to be legalized because of a vertebrae injury so she doesn't have to take pain medications. My mom has a neurological disorder that draws her spine over so that her head is always tilted down toward the floor. Her doctor told her that marijuana could help her instead of having to take strong muscle relaxers.

glock1097, R_P_K_, NJ1911 and 10 others like this.
  13. FullClip

Up here the UFOs summon you, and everything and everyone is pretty crude.

orangejeep06 and First shot like this.
  14. Vito

Vito

Karl Marx called religion "the opiate of the masses", accusing traditional societies of using religion as a way of diverting the attention of the people from their sad plight in life. Today's Leftists are more practical, and are using legal access to mind altering drugs as an easy path to fool the fools who are paying the bills for the Leftist agenda. Here in Illinois folks are almost giddy with joy now that recreational weed is legal, heaping praise upon the inept billionaire governor and seemingly uncaring about the rape of taxpayers in this state by the public employee unions and their elected thugs.

glock1097, Lockback, 6Actual and 6 others like this.
  15. Von Hayes

Von Hayes

weapons? Just that if I happen to make a Pitt trap, and some idiot happens to fall into it......I dont want it to affect my sleep...

FullClip likes this.
  16. pizza_pablo

pizza_pablo USN Retired

No doubt!
    I hadn't thought of it that way.
    Thanks, for the reality check!

In Washington State, the MANY stores (in my town they're are more pot stores than gas stations. One 7 store front strip mall has two.) are taxed very highly, but the banks won't handle the money. Crazy times!

Von Hayes likes this.
  17. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student Silver Member

Regarding the banking issue, state-chartered credit unions seem to be the most popular workaround.

As for tax revenue, the following two photographs were posted at the excellent Second City Cop blog (http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/), on January 2, 2020, the day after "legal" pot became available for sale in Illinois. Take a look at the taxes:

Weed 1.jpg

Weed 2.jpg

I don't and never have imbibed, so I have no idea what is the going rate for pot. But one need not use, nor have a Ph.D from the London School of Economics, to understand that with so onerous a tax burden, once the novelty of "legal" dope wears off users will return to doing business with their local dealer.

Someone should have explained the Laffer Curve to these state and local legislators before they determined their tax levies. As Ray Kroc famously said, "I don't make a lot of money off each French Fry but, gosh, I sure sell a hell of a lot of 'em."

18. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

The legal use of Marijuana allows the Cartels to sell their wares. They can dodge the taxes and sell to anyone. Governments are uncaring leeches run by greedy politicians. The American tax payers will pay millions for drug rehabs in future years.

glock1097, nrajeff and Bead like this.
  19. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Don't kid yourself or any of us the state makes bank on state funded rehab facilities.

20. The Fist Of Goodness

The Fist Of Goodness

Legal weed stores should have no issues with the IRS as long as they report their earnings and pay the taxes.

The problem with the cash from these dispensaries is that federally, any proceeds from specified unlawful activities are subject to the money laundering laws which essentially make the proceeds contraband. It is illegal to conduct any transactions with these proceeds and the banks are subject to huge fines if they allow these businesses to deposit their money there.

Under the Obama Admin, the Attorney General (illegally, IMO) ordered the US Attorneys to selectively ignore marijuana related offenses. Sessions rescinded that order, stating that it was beyond his predecessors authority to order certain crimes to be ignored.

This is something that is going to eventually need to be addressed by Congress. I suspect they are holding off until a larger number of states pass marijuana legalization before they act.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

nrajeff and FullClip like this.