canon xt???

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by mp5fullauto, Sep 24, 2007.

1. mp5fullauto

mp5fullauto

Looking to get a dslr and have narrowed choice to the Canon XT or XTI, just wondering what everyones' thoughts were on these two cameras. I like the bigger lcd but is it worth the extra cost. i know it has more megapixels and the sensor cleaner but is the xt good for the money and then i would get better lenses. just looking for an entry level dslr for nature pics and some closeups. will be previewing on laptop so screen size isnt that big of a deal. thanks

2. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I shoot with an XT. For me, the XTi's added features don't justify the price increase. If I were buying again today, between those two, I would go with the XT again.

3. MD Mountain Man

MD Mountain Man 2A Supporter

I have an XTI and love it. The reviews do say that the XT is capable of very similar quality as the xti. The sensor cleaning Might be worth it to you though. I have heard that people occasionally have problems with the sensor getting dirty on the xt. I also blow photos up really big and think the extra few MP help. If buying the xti will make you use cheaper glass then get the xt. If you can afford the expensive glass and the xti then do both.
    my .02

Either way you are going to love canon slr world. Wait until you have to decide which lenses to buy. :shocked:

4. mp5fullauto

mp5fullauto

I just held a 40d and love how that feels. like the extra weight of it and it fits my hands better. high cost isnt good though. Is there an adaptor or something for the XT that i can use to have a better grip on it??? thanks

5. MD Mountain Man

MD Mountain Man 2A Supporter

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...1B001_BG_E3_Vertical_Grip_Battery_Holder.html

There are also neoprene hand straps that hold your hand tight to the camera. I have one but can't remember the brand or where I got it. Good Luck.

6. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

I bought an XT 5 months ago. Like you I was torn between the XT & XTi. I got the camera 1 week after my son was born so I went with the lower cost XT. I LOVE THIS CAMERA!!!

I doubt there is a better entry level dSLR on the market. I am getting fantastic pics. I have had photos printed as large as 14x20 with pro quality.

My daughter & son.
    |
    |
    V

7. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

Another shot with the XT with the 18-55 Kit Lens. No PP other than a quick resize.

[​IMG]

8. mp5fullauto

mp5fullauto

anyone have pics of the xt with the batter grip attached from the back thanks

9. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

The battery grip doesn't do anything for the size of the grip. It just adds a second, vertically placed grip to the bottom of the camera for portrait photography. It makes the camera a lot heavier too.

The XT is a good camera and will take pictures that process just as nice as the XTI. The sensor clean function of the XTI is what I want (I have the 300D which is the one that came before the XT). I can easily print up to (and probably larger than) 20x30 with 6MP with no visible loss of resolution so the extra megapixels of either camera won't make much if any noticeable difference.

There are other differences. Check the in-depth reviews at www.dpreview.com

10. JayAK

JayAK

I too shoot a canon, (EOS 40D) but don't count out pentax. I have an older IST DL it was my first DSLR….They are backwards compatible with all k mount lenses. The pentax is not super expensive and is a great entry level camera. The other thing I like about some of the new pentax cameras is they have the sensor cleaner and internal stabilization built into the camera. That is my only beef with canon. I understand from a business stand point it makes sense to have a lens, then release a lens with an USM motor then later release another with all of the above and IS. It just sucks as a consumer. Cameras with the IS built in eliminates this problem. IS can come in real handy when shooting longer focal lengths offhand. The one beef I do have with the pentax is that the motor is in the camera so the lens themselves do not have a motor in them. ……plus the pentax is not a really fast focusing camera like a USM motor. This is irrelevant in the case that you shoot portraits, landscapes, or perhaps always manual focus.

My 2 cents….

11. Hokie

Hokie NRA Member

In lens IS is more effective then in body IS. The Element in the lens does not have to move as much as the in body sensor and you can only move it so much before parts of it are outside the image circle. But has the advantage of you always having IS.

12. JayAK

JayAK

The thing I hate is the difference in cost of a good lens with vs without IS....

This is taken from adorama

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM - USA $579.00

Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM - USA $1,059.00