Canon vs. Nikon

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by RWBlue, Mar 27, 2015.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jva08HY6uLE&noredirect=1"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jva08HY6uLE&noredirect=1[/ame]

2. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

The upcoming Canon 5DS will be 50 MP. That will make L glass Rock.

In the end the skill of the shooter trumps the gear.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015

3. RWBlue

I should state that I am a Nikon shooter and I don't plan on changing. I also use what would be a lower rated lenses even though I have access to other higher rated lenses.

The main reason I posted the original youtube, was to show some of the arguments even the pros have. All the pros agree that the kit lens the new shooter gets, SUCKS. So the argument over Canon vs. Nikon is dead unless you are a Pro level shooter with Pro level gear.

4. Morgo

Morgo

Canon all the way :)

Barcroft likes this.
  5. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Always Learning

Here and There - Currently Back in Oklahoma
    Nikon for me. I started with digital back in 2000 with Kodak DC260, followed by a Kodak DC4800. That was followed by a Nikon Coolpix 5700 because it at least viewed "through the lens" instead of a separate viewfinder lens. First true SLR was the Nikon D300 with an 18-200mm zoom lens. Latest acquisition in bodies was the Nikon D700 full-frame body. Besides the D300's kit lens of 18-200mm, I have the 24-70mm f/2.8, the 70-200mm f/2.8, and lastly the 28-300mm variable f/x lens. All lenses are also Nikons.

6. rlawson

rlawson

Love my Nikon. Switched from Minolta film many years ago to Nikon film and switched to digital in 2003. I now have a Nikon D100, D200 and D7100

7. Morgo

Morgo

I guess I'm pretty heavily invested in Canon so not likely to switch anytime soon.

My Canon gear is a bit bigger and heavier :)
    1D Mark IV & 5D Mark III, decided I'm going to add a 7d2 this week
    Canon 70-200 2.8 IS II, Canon 200-400 1.4x F4, Canon 100-400 IS II, Canon TC 1.4x III
    Sigma 50 ART F1.4, Samyang 14 F2.8

More recently I've become interested in Fuji and have a nice little kit going with an XT-1 body. Makes a great lighter weight travel kit.

8. TerryMiller

TerryMiller Always Learning

Here and There - Currently Back in Oklahoma
    While I like the Nikons best, and the D700 full-frame is best of all, especially for low light areas, when folks ask me what to get, I tell them to do comparisons that are comfortable. I always advise that if they are going with a point and shoot, to be sure and get one with good "optical" zoom and try to avoid using the "digital" zoom.

I've gotten some dang good shots with both the Kodak digitals I had and the Coolpix 5700. Subject and composure can mean just as much as a high-dollar camera.

9. alien1

alien1

Amateurs talk about gear, professionals talk about how much money they are making, masters..........well they just talk about light.

Detectorist likes this.
  10. RWBlue

Not true across the board.

A while back I had an opportunity to weigh some gear. Surprised me at times. Especially when the book weight didn't match the actual weight.

11. RWBlue

I hate winter. The light and colors are just not right for field photography.

As far as gear goes, most of the time I am happy with what I have, but .....
    Just a couple years ago,
    A point and shoot was a Polaroid and you needed to shake shake it. How we have come.

Film was it and Digital SUCKED. For the most part everyone has switched to digital. And digital is getting better with each year. There are times when it is important to upgrade your gear.

A few years back,
    There was no such thing as shutterless cameras or mobile phone cameras or....

And as a field photographer, I keep looking for the ultimate zoom. Something that allow me to reach out and touch someone AND something that allows me to capture the light. I don't see any way of doing it without breaking the laws of physics.

I need just a little more reach with the current walkabout lens.
    [​IMG]

But it is not bad at capturing the light and color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    even as my light was fading.

12. alien1

alien1

I was only repeating something that was told to me by a master once not trying to infer that we were wasting our time talking black vs white. I grew up on Nikon but changed to canon in the early days of digital.

13. alien1

alien1

4A4R0133a.jpg IMG_0052a.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  14. RWBlue

I didn't take it that way. I have heard the same thing from several people over the years.

There is another forum that every time someone brings up getting new gear one of the old timers tells them that they don't need it.