close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Canon Rebel Digital

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by lomfs24, Feb 26, 2005.

1. lomfs24

lomfs24

I got up yesterday morning and noticed that I had an extra $3000 in the ol' checking account. (Tax Returns) I am thinking about getting my wife a Canon Rebel Digital as a surprise.

The reason it must be a Canon Rebel or similar is because her sister has a Rebel 35mm and from what I understand the lenses are interchangable. And they are going to try to start a little parttime, on the side, picture business.

Here are a coule packages I have come across. Are they good deals? Does anyone have any better deals that they know of?

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=17222&up=8845&start=1

$909 + shipping

http://www.expresscameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=9224&up=8845&start=1

$1209 + shipping.

Are these good deals or do you know of any better?

2. zaggie

zaggie

I have seen the Digital Rebel at Sam's Club for $900 with lens. But you might want to wait because Canon is going to lower the suggested price from $1000 to $800 when it comes out with the new model in March. The new model will be priced at $1000.

You can read about it here:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05021704canon_eos350d.asp

3. lomfs24

lomfs24

Yeah, the cammera here at SprawlMart is $957 but that is just the cammera and lense. No card, no case nothing else.

These packages both have two additional lenses, case, tripod, cleaning kit, Compact Flash Card with them and their price on the camera alone is something like $549

4. veedub

veedub CEO

5. lomfs24

lomfs24

I saw the Rebel XT but the problem is that you can't buy it anywhere. I have not found one place yet to actually buy it. And it seems that it is not any cheaper than the Rebel it's still $1000

6. lomfs24

lomfs24

OK, next question. In reality what's the difference between 6 MegaPixel and 8? In terms of taking that picture and making an actual print out of it?

7. zaggie

zaggie

All other things being equal, the only difference is the size of the print you can make with the same clarity.

8. zaggie

zaggie

You can't buy it anywhere because it isn't out yet. You have to wait until March.

It may be the same price as the Rebel, but it is a lot more camera. The Rebel will be much cheaper in the future.

9. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

Since you have a larger budget than what the Rebel is intended for, I would go with the 20D. It is a much better camera for not much more money. Don't get me wrong, I have a Digital Rebel, but the 20D is a lot more camera. Your wife's lenses should work fine with either camera as long as they aren't too old.

If you don't want the 20D, wait on the Rebel XT which is replacing the Digital Rebel sometime this Spring. It is a smaller camera which women will probably like for the grip size difference. Plus it uses the Digic II processor and has some other nice features over the Rebel.

10. spin180

spin180

Stay far, far away from Express Cameras, see here: http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1805.html
    Those deals like what Express Cameras offers are usually too good to be true. The extras you get will be substandard, they'll try to pull the bait & switch when you order, etc.

For any of your photography needs, I highly recommend B&H Photo. Their selection and service is top notch, and prices are very competitive. They have quite a few different Digital Rebel kits if you are still interested in one. Look here, toward the bottom: B&H's Canon cameras

If you can swing the cost of the 20D, I'd go for it. I have the 300D (D. Rebel) myself and would love to have a 20D, but the Rebel was all I could afford (and really wanted to spend) when I bought it. The new Rebel XT seems to be a great camera also, but it'll be a while before it's available. If you can stand to wait, it would be decent compromise between current Rebel and the 20D.

;)

11. allanc

allanc "Inconceivable"

I have a Digital Rebel and really love it. I too would like to upgrade to a D20 but I don't see it happening anytime soon. I guess I'll just have to be happy with my Rebel.

Here are some pictures I took last weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Another vote for the 20D.

In case you didn't know...You CAN use the old FD leneses but there is a "crop" factor, or magnification factor of 1.6x. That is a 100mm lens will look like a 160mm lens on the digital camera.

13. zaggie

zaggie

Super pictures, allanc!

14. lomfs24

lomfs24

spin180, I wish you would have posted this a day or two earlier. I ordered from express cameras on Sunday. I guess I'll hope that this site is just a handful of unhappy customers and that this isn't the norm.

I guess time will tell. Thanks for the heads up though so that I can take counter measures early.

15. spin180

spin180

Well, if they process your order, without you having to contact them by phone, you might make out alright. However, if you get an e-mail or phone call from them stating you need to contact them about your order you could be in for a fight. If you do have to call them, and they try to upsell or bait & switch on you, don't take any crap from them and hold your ground. They'll either give you what you originally ordered, or they'll cancel the order all together. It'll probably be a pain in the *** either way, but there's a decent chance you'll make out okay.

A friend of mine ordered a digital camera from them about a year ago. Price as shown on the site was something like $270 or so. He ordered it online, but they sent him an e-mail telling him to call and verify the order. He makes the call and the salesman tells him that the $270 price was the 'wholesale' price for the camera body only, no accessories like the instructions, cables, memory card, etc. He argued with them a bit and managed to get the camera and all its' requisite components, but at a slightly higher price, like $320-$330. Which was actually still a fairly good deal, but not worth the hassle.

At any rate, good luck with it.

:)

16. lomfs24

lomfs24

Well, it came today. Looks like it is all there except the extended battery they promised me. Looks like it will be somewhat of a battle but not like some other folks had to deal with. Looks like I got fairly lucky with this bunch.

17. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

Here are some pictures I have taken with my Digital Rebel.

This one is of my dog named Annie. I used the Canon 50mm f/1.8 Mark II lens to get the narrow focus effect.

[​IMG]

This one is of the South Carolina state capital building. I used my Canon 70-200 f/4L for this one.

[​IMG]

This one is of a Cinereous Vulture at Riverbanks Zoo in Columbia, SC. I used my Canon 70-200 f/4L on it also.

[​IMG]

Here is an elephant at Riverbanks zoo with the 70-200.

[​IMG]

Here is a kayaker in the river just below the Zoo. I used the 70-200.

[​IMG]

And here is a tiger at the zoo also taken with the 70-200.

[​IMG]

18. lomfs24

lomfs24

Sulaco, those are great pictures. I hope to do some shots like that with the large game animals we have here in Montana. Like elk and deer.

19. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

Sulaco, the 70-200 is a great lens, especially with the Canon digital cameras as it is = to 112-320!!

I got a sweet deal on an "L" series 70-200 f/2.8 (non-IS) NIB USA warr. on eBay (14th street photo) for 700 bux shipped last month!!!!

SCHWEEEEEEEET!!!

20. zaggie

zaggie