close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Canon Drops Some Bombs

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by General Sherman, Sep 14, 2006.

1. General Sherman

General Sherman

Canon did it.

Announced a new G7 and SD800IS, as well as an SD900 and S40.

The S cameras are for the typical point and shoot photographer but are delivering very high quality shots without manual control. Some manual control is optional.

I carry a small S500 on my belt like a cell phone for spur of the moment shots and will probably get the SD700IS or SD800IS because of their low light without flash capability. The IS stands for image stabilization which means you can use lower shutter speeds without blurring the photos.

The G7 is a 10 MP successor to the 7 MP G6, but without a flip and twist out screen, no RAW images, a slower F:2.8 lens instead of F:2 and use of the SD memory card instead of the Compact Flash card and a new type of battery. It has a 6x optical zoom instead of 4X and has image stabilization. It continues to have the hot shoe for external flash and an optical viewfinder in addition to the screen.

The Canon G series loyalists are moaning and crying. I am not. They want RAW images and a twist out screen.

I never used the RAW images which require post processing in the computer to make them right, and never used the twist and flip feature of the screen, in my G5. I will miss the F:2 lens which works well in low light. But the added zoom means they had to abandon the very large F:2 lens for a smaller one.

I need the 10 MP so I guess it is on my shopping list in addition to the Nikon D80.

2. Fred

Fred Lifetime Member Millennium Member

Sounds like some neat stuff. As far as the tilt/swivel screen, I would cry about that too. I have an A95 as my p&s camera, and use that feature quite a bit, so I would miss it. Not having RAW doesn't really bother me in a camera like that.

3. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

not to argue or flame, but, why?

4. General Sherman

General Sherman

Good point.

Normally one would not.

I sometimes blow my photos up to what some would consider poster size for effect. These are "art" photos or such.

I learned long ago that size matters when an impact is needed.

I can get a 5 MP photo up to about 16x20 when they start to fall apart. If I crop I need even more MPs.

I have to have a quality photo, lens and so on to make this work. My Canon G5 worked to some extent but I think I need the extra MPs for my work. My 35mm frames are about equal to 13 MPs depending on the film speed and so on.

As I say, normally a photographer does not "need" the high MPs.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Everyone can use higher quality. Whether we define it as "need" or not, it doesn't matter. Just shoot a landscape with trees and grass and look at the details. A blind man will see the lack of detail (will fail to see the detail?). Of course, the high megapixel count at some point must combine with a high-quality lens to be effective, a point sometimes overlooked.

6. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Agreed. I can understand the want, and need for more MPs(I'm thinking about getting a D80 as well;)). I just think that it takes a DSLR with good glass to use it to its fullest.

while the G7 is most likely a great camera, I wonder if that small lens is capable of taking 10mp to its fullest.

If I were doing poster size prints, I would opt for the D80 over the G7. I can't help but think that large prints made using some nice Nikon glass would be better than prints made with the little lens on the G7

[​IMG]

7. ARs&AKs

ARs&AKs NRA Life Member

I still use a 5mp Olympus 5050 and the quality of the prints it produces is superb. 8x10 and 11x14 prints are indistinguishable from those made by my father's Nikon D200 at 10mp. I honestly believe that factors other than megapixels contribute more to great looking prints.

8. General Sherman

General Sherman

I agree it is more than MPs to get a good photo.

Let us see how the lens of the G7 tests against the lens of the G6 which is one of the best around.

9. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

Drats. I thought I missed the Mark III for $5,000 by Christmas headlines... That G7 looks like it'll be great for what its designed to do though.