Canon 50mm compact macro

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by JayAK, Oct 1, 2007.

1. JayAK

JayAK

Well after much hunting I still could not find the 60mm macro so I ended up getting a great deal on the 50mm compact macro. I think my next lens will be the 100mm, but for now this lens does great. I used it this weekend on my new EOS 40D and had some good results. These were all shot off hand in jpg format with no photoshop of any kind. Unfortunatly for me I had to use some flash several times due to a lack of natural light.....so I am not pleased with some of the pictures. I use flash almost never so it is hard for me to get used too....a ring light or macro light could be in my future...with that said I hope you enjoy...

Anyone else out there using any macro light set ups that are not 600 dollars???? Let me know!!!!!

:)

2. JayAK

JayAK

these were all resized down at shrinkpictures.com

does anyone know a place that is better/faster that offers higher quality pic reductions????

3. JayAK

JayAK

4. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Your regular post-processing app should have resizing function built in. What do you use?

5. JayAK

JayAK

nothing at all.... I just plug my card or camera into my printer.

I never post pics online until I got this camera....usually they just get printed or viewed on my computer right out of the camera... For some people editing photos etc is great, but I like to keep this as close to "film shooting" as I can....no fixing uh ohs....etc

6. JayAK

JayAK

7. JayAK

JayAK

8. JayAK

JayAK

9. JayAK

JayAK

10. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Well, I remember from my film days a lot of darkroom post-processing as well. The only difference to me is that the post-processing today is cleaner and more precise. No more waving your hand (or paper masks) over the paper during exposure while breathing developer fumes. ;)

Very nice shots, btw. :)

11. JayAK

JayAK

This lens does a pretty good job.... it does not go 1:1 like the 60mm and 100mm. I find though for flower/plants & butterflys that this lens is great. It also makes a good walk-around lens. I will probably keep this lens and get the 100mm later because they both also work on full frame cameras where the 60mm does not..... The only real draw back I see to this lens is as follows...it is not USM but for me this does not matter as I do all focusing manually...the 100 and 60 both focus internally and do not extend the 50 does.....this is not a huge issue as my lens is typically fully extended and ready before I stick it in a bugs face.

jayak

12. JayAK

JayAK

Fair enough...what would you recommend? My other half keeps telling me we need photoshop... She usually gets her way :) .... She is wanting to "lace" ?!?! together several shots to create a pano shot of st louis at night. Can this be done on a basic edition of PS?

Thanks I really enjoyed taking these pics!

13. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Canon has a freebie software for stitching panoramas, Photostitch, I believe it is called. You can also stitch them by hand, although it requires a bit more work. There is a ton of advanced tools for panoramas, but I never used any of them. Here are a couple of examples for the ones above:

By hand
    PhotoStitch (Warning - big!)

14. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

For post-processing, Photoshop is great. I've never used the basic version (Elements), but I hear it is good, although some features have been removed. Freebie Gimp is very powerful, but involves some work with installation and customization. Other than that, there is PaintShop Pro, Corel PhotoPaint, and others. Almost any of them will give opportunity to learn for months to come. ;)

15. nipperwolf

nipperwolf

Photoshop Elements 5 for $80 is hard to beat. when using it to resize, use the 'bicubic sharper' setting. makes a difference when reisizing;

[​IMG]

:supergrin:

16. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

nipperwolf, so those were your pictures I saw on dpreview. Nice work! :)

17. JayAK

JayAK

Thanks hwyhobo and nipperwolf ......

I will explore these options more....

nice photo.. I love the look on the boys face!

18. JayAK

JayAK

very sweet pics! That is what she is looking for.... Thanks

19. JayAK

JayAK

very sweet pics! That is what she is looking for.... Thanks

20. DeadMansLife

DeadMansLife Senior Member

My trial of PSE5 expired 3 days ago. I bought PSE5 2 days ago. Great program. I'd been using MS Digital Image Standard for about a year, it was great until I tried Photoshop.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/