close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Canoe or kayak rigged for freshwater fishing - Ideas?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Castigliano, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Castigliano

Castigliano

Guys,
    I own a 15' grumman canoe and a 9.5' plastic Kayak that I have though of rigging up for fishing at my northern MN lake lot. Take it out on the nights when I want paddling exercise and troll for a walleye at the same time. Also will use it for panfishing too. Just looking for ideas of how some people have rigged theirs up and what works or does not work. Attach pictures if you got them!
    Thanks.
    c

2. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

Your in luck, this is my bag!

Check out the following and let me know what you think.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=479846

3. Castigliano

Castigliano

Wow... give me a moment to surf all this in! Lots of good pic's to see how rod holders, coolers, and other gear is rigged.

On the quick scan - are the sit-on top models better for fishing over the sit-in models? They seem to dominate the show.
    Actually I was looking at a ocean-kayak like yours at Sportsman's Warehouse when I was inspired to modify my little kayak.
    Where you sit above the water higher - is it more tippy?
    c

4. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

I don't know about the sit inside models, I've never fished from one. As far as its stability, I don't have any problems inshore, and in protected ocean waters. I've been in 2-3ft swells and still been able to fish. Wasn't the best experience but it can be done. I've mostly fished the lakes and ponds around Atlanta. All the info you need to outfit your rig is in those sites and their links. Good luck. Post some Pics when your done.

5. Castigliano

Castigliano

Johnspark,
    The websites have a lot of info, but there is one thing I have not found that you may know of.
    Have you ever seen the movie "US marshals"? In one scene, Wesley Snipes is rowing a small swamp boat, but instead of the normal boat oars where you look backwards, this boat had a linkage so you faced forward. Have you ever seen anything like that? Thats what I want to put on my canoe.
    c

6. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

Check rei.com or captaindicks link on Paddlezone.com they would have it if anyone does.

7. Wet Dog

Wet Dog

I use my canoe to target Coho salmon and Sea-Run Cutthroat trout in Puget Sound. I occasionally drop a crab pot or two while I'm at it...

My setup is real low tech. I sit on a milk crate when I'm fishing, I have another with most of my gear most of which is sealed in those plastic lunch containers. Wallet, phone, Camera... I wear my fishing vest so most of my tackle is on me. I take an extra paddle just in case, wear my live vest and have a whistle for my emergency gear.

Pole holders are a MUST. I haven't figured out a way to paddle and fly fish at the same time so a pole holder keeps it up and out of the way. I paddle over to where I see bait fish and start throwing flies at em.

If you are targeting fish that you will keep, for me that is Salmon, bring a net! I didn't the first time and there was NO way I could get one in the canoe with me... For SeaRuns, I don't even take em out of the water to unhook them.

Watch the tides and wind. I've had to make some dashes back to shore when the weather turned ugly.

Crab pots are most easily handled on a seperate craft you tow. My neighbor uses his boogie board. The pots I use are too big so I use an inflateable raft. I take em back to shore to sort out the catch.

8. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

Thats a great view!

I love fly fishing from the yak. It took a while to get used to it, being so low to the water. I usually get out and wade with the yak tied to my waist, or anchored. Catchin big fish on the fly is the best kind of fishing for me.

9. Bill D

Bill D Millennium Member

Hobie Cat makes a foot powered fishing rig sold at Bass Pro Shops. Hank Parker used one on his fishing show last year. Pretty neat.

10. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

I've seen that, but I was wondering how that would hold up if you did most of you fishing in very shallow waters and around oyster beds. They're damn expensive too. $1,500.00 for the one I was looking at.

11. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

I have a Canoe and a Kayak. Having tried fishing from both, I now fish exclusivly from the Canoe. (If I lived next to the ocean, it would be different.)

Large Image of canoe. I don't have the ability to resize on this system. IF someone does, please resize/repost.

12. RWBlue

13. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

That's a really beautiful area! I love to get out to places like that. I'll have to start posting some catches and scenery shots this spring.

BTW: got my first bass of the year last weekend. I'm looking forward to next month, most of my really big fish come in February and March.

14. Johnspark

Johnspark Grumpy Fish

15. RWBlue

I forgot to mention the rod holders.

http://www.cabelas.com
    Lightnin' Strike Swivel King Rod Holder Twin Pack

You will need a small block of wood to thicken the hull on the AL boat. Mine are 1x4x4 pine.