Glock Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually post in Mike and Blinky's Trainer thread up top but this isn't so much of an "ask the trainer" as it is a vent session.

Last night was my 2nd night with my 3 month old GSD puppy attending puppy obedience class (or more accurately, puppy socialization class). After class concluded, I was walking out of my neighborhood PetCo and we see a beautiful black female GSD that was a spot on match to what my puppy, McBain, looks like. All the way down to the 6 white hairs on their chest, they were a carbon copy. The female is 9 months old. The trainer for our class had been telling me about this other GSD for a bit now, she just knew they were related. Well, I talked with the other owner and sure enough they came from the same breeder, just 6 months apart.

The crummy part of it all is, his female (McBain's sister) has hip dysplasia really bad. It came on around 3 months and has gotten worse. When I picked up my puppy I specifically asked about the health of the parents, to which the breeder said "they are great. hips are great but I dont have them certified becuase its really expensive." I then asked "has there been any history of hip dysplasia or other genetic issues in their litters to you knowledge?" the breeder flat out told me no, nothing they've ever heard of. But they'd gladly take the puppy back and give me a nother one if something cropped up. Telling this to the owner of the female GSD got him really mad because he called them when his pup was 6 months (around the time of birth for my puppy) and said that his dog has hip dysplacia and they offered to trade out the dog for a new puppy from this litter. The owner declined and said he just wanted to make sure he knew so that he would stop breeding this dam and sire.

This breeder has been running a puppy mill, every 6 months the trainer at PetCo says she gets an all black GSD puppy in her class with a tuft of white fur on their chest. The breeder said he is retiring McBain's mother after his litter so hopefully that stops. But people don't realize these animals aren't just a capitalistic way to make their mortgage. They are living things and don't deserve to be pumped out as fast as the mom can possibly pump them out. Surely that can't be healthy for the mom either. I do take partial blame for buying the puppy from this breeder, if they didn't have buyers they wouldn't have motive to be a breeder. Live and learn I guess.

My dog is a great dog, has one of the best personalities I have ever seen and is extremely intelligent to boot. If he gets hip dysplacia I'm not going to take him back to the breeder, but it chaps my hide that they lied to me about it at the interview. They knowingly are breeding dogs with this genetic defect in their blood lines.

It also seems to me that I should get my dog fixed now to aid in getting this genetic defect out of the GSD blood lines. I wasnt planning on studding him out, but it was an option I was keeping open for sure. Unless I had a reason to fix him, I had plans to keep him intact. But if his puppies are going to be predisposed to hip dysplasia then he needs not have puppies or even the option of it.

/vent

Does anybody know what the chance is that my dog will have it if his sister has it? I have spoken with my vet about CHD and forgot to ask him the percentages. I figured I'd do some research on my own and hopefully remember to ask him at my next 3 week checkup.

Oh, and by the way, my pup is checking out great. No signs yet. He is still young but his sister was already showing signs at this age. So that is encouraging. I've been feeding him NutroMax Natural Balance Large Breed Growth Control which allows him to grow a little slower and gives his bones and muscles a chance to devleope in hopes that it will prolong the onset of CHD. Does anybody know anything else I can do? My vet said that I should control jumping as much as possible (frisbee, up and down off of the couch, out of the vehicle, etc) and be very careful not to overfeed him.

Thanks for letting me vent.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do think a lot of these problems are environmental... Caused by running & jumping the dog before they're 18 mos. to 2 yrs old.

I like your dog food choice. I remember when Eukanuba's old formula was thought to be causing these problems.

Those shots that we are supposed to give our puppies... I don't know what it is, but something about them makes me nervous.
I'd really like to agree with you. And I would if I had more experience, but this is all kind of new to me so I dont want to be that new guy who all of a sudden is an expert. From what I have been reading online, even if it is genetic CHD, it can be controlled and managed by environmental factors just as it can be aggrevated or even created by environmental factors. This website says that running could be good for them. Just no jumping.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What would be good ways to strengthen my pup's muscles that also reduces impact? Is running with him ok?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Her major damage came while playing with some other dogs and she got bowled over sideways.
Thanks for the tip. McBain loves playing with my sister's labs. I'll have to keep a close eye on them when they play. I shoudl probably be careful working with him to heel and changing directions on him. I could see that being an issue. I'd rather him have good hips then have a perfect heel position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.