Canik ? Educate me..

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by soutthpaw, Oct 10, 2020.

1. jeff22

jeff22

A friend bought a full size and he liked it so much he now has three but I’m not sure which models. He really talks up how nice the triggers are.

2. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Another vote for the best striker fired pistol trigger I've ever felt. It's good breaking and a great, short and audible reset. I'm really kicking myself for not buying one last year. They are nowhere to be found now.

Sharkey likes this.

3. BobRicks

BobRicks

I bought a TP9SF Elite at a local pawn shop for $260 out the door. You could not tell it had been fired. Liked it so much I bought the TP9SF Elite SC when it came out. It took me about 3 months to find one during the 'Rona crunch, but I jumped on the first one I found.

Both have great smooth triggers and I shoot them better than anything else I own which includes Glocks and Springfield Armory.

I like my Caniks.

4. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

twice as good as a Glock and at one time half the price. My TPSFX can shoot the nuts off a mosquito at 25 yards.
    caniksfx.jpg

airflyer, cbird77 and Sharkey like this.
  5. soutthpaw

soutthpaw

Thanks for all the info. I will probably pick one of these up in the near future if I find one I like.
    What's the difference between the elite and the elite executive?

6. Timmy bigtime

Timmy bigtime

They are great pistols now that holsters are made for them. Gtg.

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Didn't these Canik guns have some kind of 'accidental firing' problem just a few years ago?

8. garya1961

garya1961

I have the plain jane TP9sa and it shoots great. Got it new in the box for $299.

9. Sharkey

Sharkey

Might be thinking of the Caracal?

10. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

OP, given your name check also how left handed friendly they are, if you care about it.

I see the TP9SFX running in USPSA matches very regularly, way more than other ”old school” brands, and they run very well indeed. Saw some in IDPA SSP as well, but not as many.

By the way, Turkey has the second largest army amongst NATO countries and a good size small arms industry; they don’t make masterpieces, but most certainly they do not put out junk.

11. soutthpaw

soutthpaw

Okay I'm in the club now. Should be a nice range toy. Removed the mag well as it didn't fit my hand with the short grip length. Reversed the mag release of course. And the thicker backstrap swapped out too.
    As a bonus they were just stocking cases of Wolf 9mm at $13 a box and Fiocchi @ $22 a box along with bulk 10mm 500/$220 So did some stocking up in that too.

[​IMG]

checkyoursix likes this.
  12. spork

spork Caffeinator

I am moving closer to getting one. I never heard anything negative about them, but I have been snobbishly holding off for no particularly good reason other than they aren't one of the iconic things I normally get.

13. wanderson

wanderson

TP9SA here, bought it years ago when they first appeared for $300. The model with the decocker on top of the slide.
    Probably one of the best out of the box triggers. Never had a malfunction. Very slim profile given the capacity, so a great fit for all hands or with gloves.

also one of the most accurate pistols in my collection.

aftermarket & replacement parts are also much more available than when I first bought mine. Better than some domestic brands.

14. rock_castle

rock_castle With Liberty and Justice for all.

I have no experience with them but they do seem to have a good reputation from what I see. I believe John Correia with Active Self Protection carries one and really likes it.

15. Finestkind

Finestkind

There a lot of Brand snobs that will not consider one because it is from Turkey. They are missing out on some really great pistols at very reasonable prices.

Finestkind

buddyd157 likes this.
  16. Sharkey

Sharkey

What did that run you? It's on my short list. I am a lefty too. I put the small strap on my TP9 but kept the mag release in it's regular position.

17. sarge83

sarge83

My daughters boyfriend bought a TP9SF FDE from a gun shop NIB and he was supposed to take his CCW class the next morning so he came to my house because I have a small range in the back yard and wanted to get in some practice time on the range with it and he could not get this piece to function properly. Numerous FTF, light primer strikes. He finally got one magazine to half way function part of the time and took it for his class and by the end of the class it started malfunctioning again. He took it to the LGS and traded it for a new Glock 48. He liked the gun but didn't have any faith in it functioning.

18. airflyer

airflyer

I own two of them fantastic guns for price ,reliability and value

19. soutthpaw

soutthpaw

$699 which seemed reasonable. I think MSRP is $849

I did email customer support to see if they make a LH holster and if I can exchange the RH one that comes in the box.

Sharkey likes this.
  20. Ftttu

Ftttu

I was happy with the TP9SA I had a few years ago I used for a truck gun. My complaint was that it wasn't as accurate as I would have liked. Also, I remember watching the slide rise while pulling the trigger due to the internals. I didn't like that, but it is possible other pistol makes do the same thing. I got rid of it only because I needed to trade it an my old duty weapon, a Beretta 96D, for another pistol to make it an even trade.

I watch Honest Outlaw on youtube, and he is a VERY experienced shooter which I put faith into his reviews. He happens to like Canik. I think one of the pistols he likes is an Elite version.

I believe they are a good value, especially mine since it came with a serpa-type holster. I would probably get another Canik, but there are other pistols I would get before it. But if I ever got another truck gun, Canik would be top on my list.