close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cancers, heart disease- why Americans are so vulnerable

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Stubudd, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Stubudd

Stubudd

A good friend is being killed very quickly by what started as kidney cancer, but has spread everywhere now. I was reading about it and I came across the "china study", a massive nutritional study put on over several years in China. The study explores the connection between the "western/american" diet and our high rate of cancers and heart disease.

I haven't read the book yet, but the basic idea is our diets being so high in animal protein, and the corresponding high cholesterol rates, are the reason so many americans are killed by heart disease and cancers. Like I said I haven't read it all yet, but from what i gather it looks like they found something to the effect of getting more than 10% of your diet from animal protein basically flips a "cancer" switch- you're way, way more likely to develop these "western" diseases that kill so many of us.

It might be worth checking out- you don't want to go the way I've watched this man go. I can tell you, I'm eating a heck of a lot more salad these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study

[​IMG]

I couldn't get the image to resize right, so use Ctrl+mousewheel up to zoom in, or download the pdf here-

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/cancerstats/world/index.htm

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

No surprise here. Pass the horseraddish and sauteed 'shrooms. HH

3. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Balanced diet, reduce fried foods, use virgin olive oil or sesame oil to cook with, increase fruit and vegetable intake, increase water and fruit juice (real not that crap that's 10%) intake, exercise... common sense things to a healthier and longer life.

I don't look 42, don't have the wrinkles most men my age do, look more in my early 30's. Excellent cardio-vascular health and in the low low risk category for prostate cancer. Take no medications and live a very active life... part of it is genetics, but the majority is a very healthy diet and exercise.

I see men 10 - 15 years my junior that can't do half of what I do... and weigh almost half as much as I do. But hey! Your choice! live long and happy and drug free or live short, miserable and reliant on medications. Love free will! :dunno:

4. Leetuser

Leetuser

Fructose and high fructose corn syrup are the culprits. It's basically a toxin to the body and has to be digested in much the same way ethanol is.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Glad we got that out of the way....

Now, who wants to go to the Outback Steakhouse?

6. Stubudd

Stubudd

All good things for sure, and I'm glad to hear you're in good shape. But that isn't what the post is about- this study apparently shows that regardless of how balanced your diet is, or how little fried stuff you eat, if more than 10% of your diet is from animal sources, you're massively more likely to develop a huge range of diseases. That's most definitely not common sense for Americans- not even close. Most of us, me included, tend to think of protein as a good thing- this study is suggesting it definitely isn't.

It specifically mentions cow's milk several times as being very strongly linked to several diseases, especially diabetes. That will be news to most people- it was to me- we've been hearing how it does a body good our whole lives.

"The authors introduce and explain the conclusions of scientific studies, which have correlated animal-based diets with disease. The authors conclude that diets high in animal protein (including casein in cow's milk) are strongly linked to diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and Type 2 diabetes."

Check out the link- you might find it pretty interesting.

7. Leetuser

Leetuser

preferably wouldn't get much of my fruit intake from juices, they're not as healthy because they don't contain any of the fiber from a whole fruit and the juice contains a high level of fructose. That's the major problem with the American diet, too many fructose based sugars and not nearly enough fiber. Also sodium, saturated fat and cholesterol are too high. I would be more concerned with the saturated fat content of milk than with the casein protein in regards to heart disease. Milk and other dairy products are the best sources of calcium in people's diets, and many women don't get enough calcium the way it is. Type 2 diabetes is increasing at an alarming rate among American, and while I don't know for sure I'd bet that it's not because people are drinking too much milk. That's just my opinion, I'm no expert but I am a nutritional science major

8. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

"Milk" as used over Cheerios or splashed into coffee, or milk as used in chocolate bars and ice cream?

It might not be the milk, but what goes with it. I don't know too many adults that drink straight milk.

Interesting study though, thanks for posting. I know a few people my age (under 30) that have had malignant cancers in the past couple years. Seems more like bad luck than anything else to be honest with you, but it just ain't right.

9. 98LS-WON

98LS-WON

I think it's a lack of Darwinism. There is a drug for everything now. No offense, but in the 1800's, if you couldn't drink milk as a kid, I'm going to assume you died, bad genes and all. Not passed on to anyone else. Seriousy, I never heard of a milk, peanut (who can't have a PBJ as akid???), seafood, gluten, etc allergy growing up. Now all sorts of maladies are survivable and hereditary. Thoughts.

10. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

We've gotten rid of most things that will kill you. Hell, we've found a way to cure most things that'll even get you sick.

Of COURSE the really bad stuff is going to show up more, it's the only stuff left we cannot cure before it's too far gone.

Same thing with peanut allergies and whatnot. Kids that would never have made it beyond infancy now grow up to adulthood and those allergies that were never a problem years past now are manifest in adults.

11. BSteadman

BSteadman WidowMaker

I'll see you there tonight at 6 p.m.!!! Should I wear something nice?

Your's Truly Brenda

12. Danny Reid

Danny Reid

I am always a little wary of studies like this...and the subsequent conclusion jumping that goes along with them.

Just because a given population has a higher incidence of a particular illness isn't necessarily indicative of anything.

13. JBnTX

JBnTX Bible Believer

+1, I think you're right!

I'm 57 and I never heard of most of these so called diseases/allergies until just a few years ago.

Maybe we've halted Darwinism to a point that it's affecting the health of all of us.

14. Smacktard

Smacktard

BTT

:rofl:

15. radial77

radial77 lego engineer

<- wouldn't be surprised if the FDA is the leading enforcer of cancer in this country.

16. NailShooter

NailShooter

Well, apparently the current Chinese diet isn't so healthy either. Just read an article in this past Sunday's paper that China will soon outpace the US in diabetes rates. Maybe some will blame it on the Westernization of their eating habits and food types? Also read that some blamed technology and more sitting around--even in China. Reading that report surprised me.

Nail

17. DonCT

DonCT

This will come as a shock to many, but the majority of people on this planet are non-European.

About 10%-20% of Europeans, close to 80% of Africans and virtually ALL Asians are lactose intolerant. Drinking milk will make them sick. Humans are the only species on the planet that drinks milk past infancy and the only one that regularly drinks the milk of a different animal (cows, goats etc.)

FWIW, the cancer, diabetes and heart disease rate among Chinese has been climbing since the 1940s, when white rice became cheap and the preferred grain, replacing the traditional brown rice staple.

Also, no matter what the FDA tells you, there has never been a study showing meat consumption CAUSES heart disease. There are only correlative studies. And the American diet is not particularly high in animal protein or fat. It is more accurately descibed as "high everything." As a percentage of calories, we are a carb-addicted nation and getting more so.

18. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

The fact that the "study" is published in a book for sale on Amazon, as opposed to submitted to New England Journal of Medicine or some other peer-reviewed publication should be a red flag.

People with complex bogus claims generally like to sidestep people who examine complex studies for a living and jump right to laymen they can sell crap to.

People who conduct legitimate studies like to test their work against the hard reality peer-review, even if it means they won't make a quick buck on the talkshow circuit.

19. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Vegetarians may not live longer, but it seems like a lot longer.

And I'll be putting cream, not olive oil, in my coffee.

I never intended to live forever.

20. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

It's Bush's fault in China too.