close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cancelling Employees Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DanaT, Oct 10, 2013.

1. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

The 50K / bronze has to do with what we must pay as a company and what is offered. The gist of what we are getting is they want everyone making over 50K to subsidize the rest of the plans.

2. captainstormy

captainstormy

For now.

3. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

They were not clear on why, they just said that due to changes in the new laws the plan is no longer available in 2014.

They said that we could go from a PPO to an HMO.

How the letter is worded, the new stuff is all HMO.

Wrong.

http://connectforhealthco.com/get-started/employers/

"Small businesses and nonprofits know the ability to offer employees quality health insurance is a competitive advantage in the labor market."

Small business is defined in CO as under 1000 employees.

And all individual plans have been essentially cancelled. How else do you think they are paying for all of this?

No. Sorry. I know every detail of the companies finances very well and I know what we paid per employee.

I wont get thrown out in cold. The company will compensate me for my insurance. Its the general employees that are taking the hit. And I am still deciding if the lower paid employees will be cut to 29 hours per week.

There are still exemption for 2014 and 2015. Just like the fines (taxes) increase each year for private people, the taxes on business are progressive. Until 2016 it is cheaper to pay the fines than offer the coverage.

You dont get it. This is the employees heath insurance. I have no problems with my health insurance. There are no tax breaks for health insurance if you make over $50K.

I am not blaming someone else. I am telling you what decisions I am making in cutting benefits and hours.

My pay is heavily based off how much money the company makes. So if I will cut expenses where needed.

4. kostnerave

kostnerave

++++++ Hope your happy now.

5. WarCry

WarCry

I think you should contact the insurance company directly, because I'm pretty sure you've got some of that incorrect.

Although, with the below information that you're working with BCBS CO, you may well be onto something. BCBS CO is part of Anthem BCBS, and they are, frankly, a horrible company to work with. Even working for another BCBS franchise, every single one of my co-workers absolutely dreaded having any dealings with any of the Anthem companies.

This is one of the shortcomings in the ACA: for-profit companies like Anthem spent a ton of money to keep out changes to allow interstate competition. Had it been allowed - like car insurance companies - it would have changed the whole playing field, but some companies didn't want to give up their pieces of the pie.

My apologies (sincerely). I don't know each individual state's set-ups, I was speaking about the way exchanges were planned under the ACA model. If the states have opened it up to small businesses, that's a different hill o' beans.

Any reason they set the number at 1000? Because small business is defined at 50 by the federal law.

Cancelled by whom, and for what reason? I've not heard of any place flat-out cancelling any and all private, individual health insurance plans.

And, as I clearly stated, I said I was guessing. But if, as a company, the plan was only $600/month per employee TOTAL, you were due for a rate increase, at the very least, anyway.

Ah, so you're on the other side of the equation. You're looking to find ways to save the company money, even if that means cutting hours and benefits to the employees so you don't have to deal with the health insurance.

So, you're saying "I got mine, and I'll make sure I continue to get mine, and blame the government for all those under me that I have to strip away from."?

6. 10mm Sonny

10mm Sonny

Limbaugh Theorem

7. walt cowan

walt cowan

When people have lost every thing and have nothing more to lose... They lose it.

8. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Oh, I read the letter quite clearly.

Um..think about it. It is an arbitrary number designed to get people more low risk people into the exchange...

As an insurance company, do you want only high risk?

There are no PPO, only HMO, that our broker has found for individual plans. We are having the broker find individual plans for our employees that would work for them.

It was a $10K yearly family deductible plan but had good co-pay coverage. Just if something catetrophic happened, someone needed to pay the first $10K. The amount of the deductible greatly affects the rate.

My job is to ensure the company makes money for the shareholders. Full stop.

Will you send me $1000 out of your bank account? After all, "you got yours".

Go back to the answer above. Why would I pay employees more than necessary? That lowers profits. If every company around is cutting those making $15/hr to 29 hours per week and cutting benefits,why would I put the company at a competitive disadvantage by not doing the same?

9. WarCry

WarCry

Gotcha, that makes sense. I've dealt with very few plans with deductibles that high, so that didn't quite click as to the reason for the low premiums. I'm with ya now.

And while you might not believe me when I say it, I agree with you. Businesses have the goal to make profits (well, other than non-profits, but they still need to stay in the black). And as long as the employees are dealing with your methods, then it's all good. As someone else posted, employees will vote with their feet. I have NO problem with any of that, at all.

It's when you take a business, profit-based decision and say "The government made me do it!" that I take issue. Government regulations will always be a part of the equation. But stand up and be honest. It's not "Government regulation made me cut your benefits!" It's "Government regulation started cutting into the profit margin, so to make up for that, I have to cut your benefits."

Taking out that middle portion makes for a distorted view of the truth.

10. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

You are distorting the truth also.

"Government regulation started cutting into the profit margin, so to make up for that, I have to cut your benefits."

That is not the truth.

New Government regulation, that were not present before Obama care took effect started cutting into the profit margin by placing the company at a competitive disadvantage if we continue to provide you with the same level of benefits and compensation as we previously have, so to make up for that, I have to cut your benefits and/or working hours which will result in a decrease in your take-home pay."

11. Powder

Powder

The government is screwing us so we are gonna pass the buck and screw you!

12. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Nope. We are passing no buck. This is a govt issue.

Like it or not, as an employee many of you will have to live with the new reality. If it is not hitting you yet, it will in future.

Being ignorant that management is doing something, doesnt mean management is not looking into what is happening and how it affects the bottom line.

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Also, 3% medical device excise tax was added. Do you REALLY think I took a 3% hit on margins and absorbed this tax?

Or do you maybe think I raised my prices 7% to cover the tax and the burden associated with compliance of the excise tax? Now, if you think that I raised prices 7% who do you think pays for this in the end?

14. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

The whole point of a company is to remain profitable. It isn't to screw anyone.

15. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

obamacare is the biggest tax increase and the biggest waste of money in the country's history.

Bottom line is, since it will cost your employer big bucks to operate within the government laws (what the hell they are?)
    the money WILL come from the employees and consumers.

And this is just the beginning.

16. WarCry

WarCry

I don't know if I'd go THAT far. Social Security and Medicare are pretty healthy chunks, and percentage wise, I'd guess (since I have done the actual research) that they came as a pretty damn big shock to people.

I'm not saying it's NOT a tax increase - hell, even SCotUS said that - but saying it's the biggest in history might be overstating.

17. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Obama supporters being forced to contort more and more, trying to defend this Obamination.

It's going to get harder and harder to convince people that Obamacare isn't screwing up their health insurance after Obamacare screws up their health insurance.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  18. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

You (we) haven't seen even the tip of the iceberg yet.

obamacare is going to make SS and Medicare look like chicken feed.

If you like SS and Medicare you are going to love obamacare.

If we can't stop it now, your children and grandchildren will curse us for obamacare far worse then we curse our elders for SS and Medicare.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  19. Steve0853

Steve0853

Sorry M2, but here's probably how a future conversation between my granchild and her future granchild will go.....

"My Grandaddy and Grandma were rich....they lived in a house that they owned all by themselves and no one else lived with them. Their yard was even bigger than the one here at the apartment complex and they had fields and woods that were bigger than the park where you play."

"Yes, child, I know that's impossible to believe, but you know your friend Sarah? Her grandaddy's daddy owned his own home, too. He was very rich."

"My daddy said taxes got so high that no one could afford to own a house or land. I don't know why no one has their own land anymore, but I guess it don't seem FAIR that one person could own a whole big house or a big bunch of land while others don't have anything."

"Now, let's go back inside. We don't want Mr. Security Man to catch us outside after curfew."

20. Z71bill

Z71bill

I lean a little to the conservative side :shocked: on fiscal issues - but this is still an honest question -

The government is taking over a larger role in health insurance and medical care.

Can anyone provide me with a list of 3 or 4 major programs that the government has that work really well?

Work really well = Solve the problem at a reasonable cost.

If they can't manage ANYTHING - how could anyone expect that the way they manage health care will be any different?