Canceling duplicate threads?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by danekolbaba, Mar 1, 2005.

1. danekolbaba

danekolbaba

I have two threads that are basically the same thing in the firearms listings and I only wanted one in the first place, don't know how I got two threads instead of one, and lastly would love to delete both threads now and start a new one because I feel that the one active thread has too many critical postings about the gun. Anyway, how do you delete threads? Thanks -Dane

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Users cannot delete threads here on GT. Only the Moderator of a given area, an Admin person, or the site owner (Eric) delete items.

You can send a Private Message to the Moderator in charge of that specific forum and request that a thread you started be closed, or a duplicate thread be deleted, but only the above folks can do it.

On the other hand, you can edit YOUR OWN message(s) in any thread by clicking on the "Edit" button in the lower left corner. When the Edit screen comes up, you can delete all the info (leave a single period) and when you hit the "Submit Reply" button, nothing will remain of your original message. It's almost like deleting the entire thing, but it leaves evidence that SOMETHING was once there. :)

3. danekolbaba

danekolbaba

so do threads just stay up forever or does the moderator delete them after a certain period of time?

4. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Periodically, Eric archives the older files/threads; not sure how often. A couple of days ago, I did a search for something I wrote a long time ago; I didn't find it, and the oldest thread that came back was dated 2002. As the search term was relatively common, I am sure there were older threads that met the search criteria, but they were no longer active/available.