close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Canadian Air-Crane mechanic....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by skycrane, Dec 2, 2004.

1. skycrane

skycrane

Hi,

I see there's a few other heli mechanix on here. I work for Canadian Air-Crane a subsiduiry of Erickson Air-Crane out of Medford Oregon. I live in the Vancouver BC area. Im currently up in the Queen Charlotte Islands just south of Alaska doing a tour. Its blowing 90 sidewaz up here. Storm after storm. Are there any other AME's or AP's out there? By the way for those who don't know a "skycrane" is a S-64 model helicopter. Commonly none as the big orange grasshopper.

Cheers.

By the way, I've been a shooting enthousiast for 10+ years now.

2. Superfueler

Superfueler Glockenplane

I don't work on Skycranes, but I am a fan of them, ever since I saw one putting in some powerlines down the street from me when I was about 10 years old. Keep the pictures coming!

3. AME206350

AME206350

Hey Ryan, forgot to mention that I just moved up from Vancouver a year or so ago. What are you guys doing in the Charlottes?

JR

4. skycrane

skycrane

We are doing some logging up here. We do heli select logging most of the year. Unless we have to go fight some big fires. I was at the Kelewna fire that summer, pretty intense. I will attach some more pics. By the way, ive been all over the US working too! We also have have heli's in Australia, Greece, Italy and Malaysia right now.

5. Tvov

Tvov

I've also always liked skycranes.

This may be a silly question, but are skycranes still made? I thought I heard years ago that production had stopped.

6. skycrane

skycrane

Heres another pic firefighting in Kelewna. Good to hear from you guys.

7. Makila

Makila

Tvov
    They stop making the Sky cranes a few years ago. I believe Erickson Air Cranes now owns the license/rights to the Sky Crane.Perhaps skycrane can verify that.

skycrane
    Cool pics.Never worked the Ch-64, only worked on the S55. Was told by a former crane mech that the main rotor head were similar.
    Makila

8. skycrane

skycrane

Ya most of the airframes were made in the 60s. Erickson now manufactures new cranes from overhauled airframes. We are currently selling them to Italy for fire fighting work. The head is a fully articulated greaseable head. Using 2 pins to hold the blades on.

R

9. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

?? no more F model oil heads?

I used to overhaul E & F heads for Erickson around 1996 or so down 'there' in southern oregon. I got in a season firefighting with Evergreen on their crane in 99. I

10. skycrane

skycrane

I guess i should have been specific. lol. I work on a "E" model. Erickson still has F-models working thru out the world. You worked over at Evergreen, right on. How did that treat you? How many hours were you guys flying in a month? We average 300+ hrs a month in the summer. I worked with a x-evergreen guy last summer for a bit. Jim something?

cheers.

11. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

I don't remember any Jims, sorry. Evergreen always treated me fine but others have had problems. They called me (twice) which makes a difference!

It's been a few years but I worked a 'call when needed' fire season with the Evergreen crane, after bringing her out of storage in 1998. We did a few local lift missions and went straight into fires. I left for the Geo-Seis Vertrep in Nov 99 but the E-Green crane has been flying year round even since..........doing a bit of logging and lift missions between fires.