Can you turn an old laptop into a netbook?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by speedsix, Nov 8, 2010.

1. speedsix

speedsix

I have an old laptop that is so slow it is almost worthless. What I was thinking is, maybe I can strip it down and make it into a netbook kind of thing. It is not all that old, maybe 5 years. It runs Windows Vista if that helps.

I am not a computer guru but I can do a few things if I know what I am doing. I am also a cheapskate so I won't pay for the shop to work on it.

What is the quick and easy way to speed up and clean up a laptop? I don't use it for anything but internet so all the programs that came with it can be dumped if needed.

2. Ersatz

Ersatz

Find the driver disk that came with it. Reformat the hard drive. Reinstall Vista. Reload the drivers for the display, sound, etc.

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

4. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Put ubuntu on it.

5. devildog2067

devildog2067

This.

6. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Second the motion.
    Linux doesn't burden slow machines like Windoze does....

7. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yup.. or any other version of Linux your heart desires.. It'd be rather slick for a netbook.

IGF

8. fgutie35

fgutie35

Install Win 2000 or Ubuntu in it. Both are very stable OS's with minimun unescesary crap.

9. GenX

GenX

If not ubuntu, an nLite'd XP

10. sputnik767

sputnik767

I have a 6 year old dell, and it's quite a bit faster than any netbook. Of course it was top of the line back in it's day, with a Pentium M CPU that still gives me 4-5 hours of battery life. First off, get rid of vista and install either XP or Win 7. Vista is horrible with weak hardware. Then, upgrade your ram to as much as it can hold, probably 2 gigs or so. You will have a pretty decent laptop that will probably be faster than a typical netbook. My dad still uses my old laptop, and believe it or not, it's pretty quick. Running windows 7 btw. It doesn't compare to my brand new macbook pro, but it'll work for typical tasks, even photoshop CS3 that I used on it. Ubuntu is another option if you want to mess with linux, but I prefer not to. And linux will not work with certain wireless cards (I had to buy an Intel Pro Wireless mini-PCI card to get it running on Linux, and tossed the old Dell card).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  11. W420Hunter

W420Hunter

Ok while putting Linux on sounds all well an nice I am not sure if its a good idea. I have put Linux systems on windows comps an its not something that always works out all the time.

12. BullsEye10X

BullsEye10X Semper Fidelis

Wipe the drive, ditch that horrible excuse for an OS known as Vista, and install XP. Do NOT install any of the other "bloat ware" applications on the manufacturer restore discs. That will slow your PC down more than anything else. Just the OS, drivers, a good AV program, and office utilities, etc... if you so desire.

If you're the adventurous type, Linux is awesome. It might take some time to get everything working 100% on older hardware but it's a great platform and there are a LOT of support forums. If you're not sure or want to try it out first you can install both to create a dual boot configuration. Or just run Linux from a CD, although it won't be as fast. My laptop is set up for XP and Ubuntu, but I hardly use Windows any more. I haven't shut it down in weeks and it's still just as fast as the day I reformatted it :)

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

That's why you test it... Linux will run from the CD(or USB if the machine can boot a USB device) w/o installing.. so it's free to try.

Most likely a machine 5yrs old, I'd be willing to bet everything is going to work out of the box. Ubuntu has by far the best hardware support of any Linux distro out there. Fedora, OpenSuse, are other really solid options.

14. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Much easier to wipe it and run windows 7 . I have an old thinkpad T60 with a 1.8 mhz dual core and it was a pig with XP I wiped it put in 7 and avast and google chrome and it flies,

7 is much better than XP if it ran vista it will run 7 much quicker. also was your vista 32 bit or 64 bit..

15. SRS

SRS

I did the same thing with a T60, but with ubuntu rather than Windows 7, with great results. It turned a machine that was essentially unusable into a decent tool.

16. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me Semper Paratus

Wish I knew more about unbuntu, I connect to my desktop with mine and 7 interfaces so easily 'I have the premium "and it is seemless with all my documents. and the small t60 I have has 4 gigs of RAM and a 320 gig hd so it preforms better than some new machines I have used.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Ubuntu really isn't difficult to use for every day home use(Office stuff, Web, Email, family photos, listening to music, etc..)

Just gotta learn the best apps to use, etc..

18. MySiK26

MySiK26 ******

Just got up and running with Ubuntu today, dual booting on a 3 year old laptop along side windows 7. I did this more out of curiousity than anything, but I am excited and pretty impressed with the UI for it being free. I might build a cheap custom desktop and run ubuntu by itself.

19. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Ubuntu is very solid...

You have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM.. Search Tech Talk to.. I've helped a lot of folks there through various install troubles and getting some thing set up.

Welcome to free computing.. :)

20. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    <----runs Ubuntu on a dual boot Netbook and Ubuntu only old laptop for daily use (web, email). Quite happy with it.