close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can you send yourself your Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by thedave8, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedave8

thedave8

Not sure where to post this question.......I may have to fly out to Montana for work, and move there at a later date..I will be staying with my friends out there........I am not comfortable with "checking" my firearms on the airliner..sounds like a big hassle.....couldn't I box up my Glock and AR, and address them to me at my friends house and ship them to me there, as they won't be changing ownership, etc.....?
    just an idea....thanks guys

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

I believe that you can and I believe that you would have to use UPS or Fedex. That said depending on the airline it may not be as much of a hassle as it seems.

3. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

This doesn't really belong in General Glocking, even though you are talking about a Glock, but the answer is yes.

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?
    Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html#shipping-firearms-additional

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Having transported firearms via airlines, it's really not too bad. You have to open the case up, have them inspect it and make sure they're unloaded. Close and lock the case. Probably a bit cheaper than having to package and ship to your destination.

On the latter, I'd check with the BATF site, and check your carriers policies regarding this.

ETA, while writing this, a lot of stuff was added to this thread above, so I'll defer to the smarter people it their comments apply!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  5. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

As stated, yes you can. I did it when driving from Alaska to new duty station where I couldn't bring some of my stuff through the republic of Canada.

6. thedave8

thedave8

thanks alot for the info guys....i guess it doesn't hurt to check into airlines also, but i dont think i have one of those locking cases suitable for transport.........

7. thedave8

thedave8

great link...thanks, I learned alot of other stuff too!

8. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

No prob. Lots of folks don't know that you can ship to yourself. It's saved me a lot of hassle.

There are times when I am just traveling for a day or two and don't want to check a bag. As long as you have a good address, you can have your firearms waiting for you.

Most hotels will allow you to mail stuff to yourself as long as you have a reservation. Salesmen do this all the time when travelling when they have something large and awkward that they need for a presentation.

9. thedave8

thedave8

good to know the Hotels too

10. The Lance

The Lance iGlock

yes you can. When I went to florida to visit my family I sent it to my brother in law and used it while I was at the range down there. Carried it. And Shipped it home before I flew back. Go the gun two days after I came home.

I however did ship it int two boxes. One with the frame and the mags in the tupperware and other separate one just for the top half.

I wanted to prevent any issues so I did it that way. You or anyone probably doesn't need to, but yes in short it is within the law to ship a gun to yourself.

11. thedave8

thedave8

kewl.... i was thinking about taking apart too....good idea....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.