Glock Talk banner

Can YOU Run a Mile in Full Tactical Gear?!

8339 Views 105 Replies 55 Participants Last post by  Cali-Glock

I'd say it is a good reality check. Notice no backpack with food water etc.

I've seen people post that they think they can hike 3-4 miles per hour (not run). I don't even think that is reasonable for most people, especially with equipment.
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

· Dog Breath
2,146 Posts
I know I can walk 4 mph because my wife and I do it and confirm it with a GPS. Hiking on rough terrain would be a whole different story.

I also know there is no way I could run a mile in full tactical gear. I was 21 years old, and in a lot better shape, the last time I tried anything like that.

· Registered
3,155 Posts
Actually, yes, but it's not an easy or fun thing to do. A few of my workouts involve running in gear. For instance, the "Murph" workout is:
Put on plate carrier (at least 20 lbs)
Run 1 mile
100 Pullups
200 pushups
300 squats
Run 1 mile

Another good one is:
Put on plate carrier
Run 3 miles
3 rounds of-
50 Dips
50 Squats
10 Pullups
take off plate carrier
Run 1 mile to cool down

· StraightShooter
3,642 Posts
I'd say it is a good reality check. Notice no backpack with food water etc.

I've seen people post that they think they can hike 3-4 miles per hour (not run). I don't even think that is reasonable for most people, especially with equipment.
So many variables...environmental (altitude, temperature, humidity, terrain, etc).....if body armor (types, coverage, etc)....how much gear (hydration packs, medical, ammo, food, bedding, commo, etc)......even what someone considers running (intermittent jogging in the video).

My most grueling workout with full gear (IIIA + Lev4 front/rear/side plate body armor/web gear, weapons/1,000+ rds 5.56 & 9mm, medical, food, 3 full hydration bladders, commo/GPS, etc) was almost constantly hacking thru brush in rough terrain up a 1800 ft mountain and hacking trails while exploring the virgin brush plateau in the Boston Mountains. I blew thru 3 large hydration bladders by the end of that fairly hot humid day while covering several miles & was beet red when I reached the summit. This was just over a decade ago...about the time I joined this forum...IIRC

Do I sometimes workout with lots of gear...yep

(did a night vision/thermal only night time hog hunt in a hot humid swamp in the last year in gear...very rough terrain....Cypress knees, hog ruts, vines, virgin brush....covered maybe 5 grueling miles that night. Could not have been more soaked if I dived in the lake)

..but could I duplicate that now long ago marathon mountain trek......doubtful, but maybe if my life depended on it.

Simply not as young as I once was..

· Banned
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know I can walk 4 mph because my wife and I do it and confirm it with a GPS. Hiking on rough terrain would be a whole different story.

I also know there is no way I could run a mile in full tactical gear. I was 21 years old, and in a lot better shape, the last time I tried anything like that.
How heavy was your backpack and for how many miles did you walk 4 mph?

· Registered
4,430 Posts
No. I'm oldish, I'm overweight, and I've got a knee that sounds like a popcorn popper some days.

I'm not horribly old, but my next milestone birthday is 60, and I got out of the infantry 33 years ago last month. I'm not horribly overweight, but I am two pant sizes larger than when I got out of boot camp, which was probably the closest to 'ideal' weight that I've ever been. My knee doesn't hurt some days, but long running is simply not an option for me. I got it bent backwards one time in my 40's and I'm still paying for that day.

So while I wish I could, I know I never will; not in "full tactical gear" at least. Now, endurance-wise I'm ok. I'm no energizer bunny or anything, but I can walk/hike pretty much all day. Just not going to go fast. Not trying to sound fatalistic and not to hide behind it as a convenient excuse, but it's just the inescapable reality.

As Jebediah Nightlinger said, "summer's over"... :cool:

· Registered
4,749 Posts
my "full tactical gear" is a chest rig and a rifle, I've never ran with it because I don't really have a place to do it, but I can run far enough and fast enough without it to feel pretty confident. I will say I think cardiovascular endurance is of paramount importance.

· StraightShooter
3,642 Posts
As Jebediah Nightlinger said, "summer's over"... :cool:
Since I am not getting any younger either..

..have acquired some ultralightweight minimalist demo armor, weapons & gear.

Sometimes....HSLD is the way to go..

.. when you have to get there in a hurry!

· Registered
1,595 Posts
Yes, but it sucks. We will occasionally do ruck marches for PT. Since we only have an hour, we limit it to 5k and change. That way, even the slowest amongst us can finish. We force march in a road march formation for most of it, then get released for the last bit. Weight in the rucks is supposed to be 35 lbs. minimum, which is approximately what you would be carrying with a plate carrier, helmet, ammo, and rifle. It really sucks to run with weight. Walking is easy.

· Registered
12,598 Posts
Probably not. Then again, if I ever am putting on tactical gear I will either have the PT to do so, or the adrenaline to help me do so.

Reactions: OldSchool64

· Serious Infidel
426 Posts
Actually, yes, but it's not an easy or fun thing to do. A few of my workouts involve running in gear. For instance, the "Murph" workout is:
Put on plate carrier (at least 20 lbs)
Run 1 mile
100 Pullups
200 pushups
300 squats
Run 1 mile

Another good one is:
Put on plate carrier
Run 3 miles
3 rounds of-
50 Dips
50 Squats
10 Pullups
take off plate carrier
Run 1 mile to cool down

I'm calling bs on this.

Post a video and you will convince me.

· Stepping down to the gin palace
10,827 Posts
I probably couldnt run a mile in full gear, but the guy in the video couldnt either. I think it is funny that he thinks he did. I could do what he did.

· Brass picker
715 Posts
I am pushing 60 and I walk at least 2 miles every day and ride bike 5 or so miles. Then I hit the gym for weight training 3-4 days a week. There is no way I could run a mile with all that added weight.

Imagine the panic in the neighborhood when a guy 6'4" and 280 lbs, wearing a full load out carring an AR and a sidearm running in past their house? It would be much scarier if they saw me at night.

Panic would ensue cops would be called and a full blown door to door manhunt would be on.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.