Can you reload Remington UMC?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by LarryD1130, Mar 22, 2010.

1. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

This is probably a really dumb question. I just bought a 250 pack of .40S&W before I went to the range today and I was wondering if I can reload it. I just got all my reloading equipment and I want to get started eventually and I thought I could save some money if I can reuse it.

Also, how do yinz pick up all your brass at the range? I found like 41 out of 50 shells today and I was looking hard. I also found some federal brass and I figured I could reload that too.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. Exodus.

Exodus.

Rem UMC is once fired reloaded brass, as far as I know. So, ya, load away. Shouldnt be any different than any other brass cartridges, your just going to get one less reload out of it versus new brass. If you load it light, you should be able to get 4 or 5 loads out of it, but if your loading hot, it will be to thin after just a couple. I pick up my brass from the range, I have a secret weapon, a pocket full of change and two money hungry girls.

3. n2extrm

n2extrm

If you want to save all of your brass and save a lot of grief looking for it..............................................Buy a revolver! You will loose brass with automatics it happens. If I loose 10 out of 100 it is a good day where I shoot. Sometimes I get lucky and a guy will give me his brass, or a friend who doesn't reload gives me a bunch. I try to think of it as even at that point.

I believe the UMC is brass / reloadable.

4. unclebob

unclebob DFC, MSM, 13 Air Medals.

With light loads I was getting a lot more than 4 or 5 reloads per case.
    Depending on the range you shoot at. I use tarps from Harbor freight. The mesh ones work a lot better. The wind does not blow them around. The blue tarps you have too staked down. I don’t count them but I would say I get 98% or better of all of my brass back when using the tarp.

5. XDRoX

XDRoX

Fixed it for you:supergrin:

6. Brucev

Brucev

Rem. UMC is excellent for shooting. The brass is excellent for reloading. Prep it for use in the same manner you would prep any brass. It will give very good results.

7. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Agree with most above, good brass, tarp makes it easier but I find that if I shoot from a single position all of mine will be in a relatively tight pile. I do shoot in the high desert though, so no grass. And you can get a helluva a lot more than 5 loads out of decent .45 ACP brass loaded light.

And yes: revolvers make it easier and arguably more fun.

8. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

I might have to go get a tarp for my range bag. Hell, I still need to buy a range bag. I been using this old duffle bag but stuff moves around too much in there. The revolver is coming soon gentlemen. There is a gun show around here in April. The only problem is that I like really expensive guns and I don't know if I'll have a $1000 saved up by then for my Colt Python(always wanted one). Maybe I'll have to get a cheaper revolver but it will still probably be in .357 so I can shoot two calibers(.357,.38spl) in it opposed to just have a .44 revolver.

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

44mag. will also shoot .44spl... just like .357/.38

Best "working man's" .357, is the Ruger GP100, IMO.

IGF

10. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

I've used UMC brass for almost forty years. It works great for reloading. It is usually better than Federal brass in most calibers. A little harder than Winchester, but lasts a long time.

U R GTG with UMC brass.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  11. n2extrm

n2extrm

Not to get off topic but keep an eye out for the midway range bag when it goes on sale. I bought the larger on I think it was $39 or maybe less? :dunno: Great buy for the money IMHO.

Don't pass on the colt if you can swing one, I allways wanted one. The S&W is a great revolver too. I love my 586.

12. LarryD1130

LarryD1130

That's the one i'm going to get. It's $40 like every other month. I just want to wait until I get a bigger order so it won't seem as much for shipping.

I always wanted a Python but I don't think thats realistic right now for me but I thought the same way when I got my Colt 6920 so we'll see. I might get the Ruger GP-1000 though. I also plan on owning some Smiths. Like the 442, model 29, 686, and maybe one day the .500 mag.