Can you open carry with a ccw permit(Ohio)

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by James Markov, Feb 27, 2010.

1. James Markov

James Markov

If you have a ccw permit it is not legal for you to have the gun seen openly. My friend saw a guy with a ccw permit OPEN CARRYING in Lowe's the other day. The cops came by, checked him out, then left. Open carry is legal, but a CCW holder is required to keep his gun hidden right??? :dunno:

2. DesertEagle.45

DesertEagle.45 USMC 8531 Lifetime Member

If open carry is legal then all you need is a permit for concealing. If you have a ccw permit then it should be ok do do it either way.

3. garand4life

garand4life

Ohio law does not specifically say that if you hold a CCW permit it must be concealed at all times.

4. James Markov

James Markov

I thought from my class that if you are are ccw a weapon, and somebody see it on you and calls the cops, you can be charged with an offense. They told me in my class in Ohio(a guy in wadsworth) that you cannot open carry since you have a permit.

5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If open carry is legal in your state, then, no, a CCW holder doesn't have to keep his gun concealed any more than anybody else. For instance, in KY anybody over 18 can carry in the open, but only a CCW holder can conceal, so that's why we get the permit.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  6. James Markov

James Markov

7. sixftunda

sixftunda

Not to detract from GT but the best place for information on carrying on Ohio can be found at Ohioans for Concealed Carry. They do awesome lobbying work in Ohio.

8. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes. This.

Then, there are exceptions.

Open carry is legal in PA, but is not legal in Philly without a permit, and is ILLEGAL in the entire state in your vehicle, unless you are going to/from the range..but in that instance, the gun must be unloaded. You can also open carry if you are hunting, or going to/from hunting...

Go figure...

'Drew

9. Conan1

Conan1

Ky is an open carry state. With a permit, you can carry open or concealed. Without a permit, you can carry open.:yawn::yawn::yawn:

10. James Markov

James Markov

As a final check, I will e-mail my ccw instructor

11. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Ok, as to what you can do in OHIO:

When walking around in public, Open Carry is legal, whether you have a CCL license or not.

Having your gun IN A CAR is a completely different matter, with different rules.

thorn

12. jayzazueta

jayzazueta

CCW= Concealed Carry Waepon..... In Cal you have open carry with no mag in the gun, but try that in LA county see what LASO or LAPD will do.... ha ha but its in our penal code not a smart move though.

13. swat220

swat220

14. Conan1

Conan1

Let us stupid people know what the expert says, Please.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

15. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

OP, you might want to listen to this guy. He knows a little bit about this stuff.

16. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

KEEP IT CONCEALED!

KEEP IT CONCEALED!

KEEP IT CONCEALED!

You avoid having a lot of problems that way. After all, why open carry when you have gone thought all of that work to get the permit? IF your going to open carry, don't bother with the permit.

17. WCrawford

WCrawford OC Zealot

Short answer: Yes.

Longer one: Ohio is a "traditional" open carry state. This means that no license, permit or other form of permission is needed to place a holstered firearm on your hip, as long as it is not concealed.

Remember, though, the rules generally change once you enter a vehicle (including motorcycles in some places). Make certian you know your states laws (and local ones if your state doesn't have pre-emption).

Finally, unlike the poster above me, carry how every you are comfortable carrying.

18. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota

just to clarify...

open carry in a vehicle is only illegal in PA if you do not have an LTCF (or license/permit from *any* other state).

the whole gun must be unloaded and must be going to/from range, gun shop, etc. thing only applies to those *without* such a license/permit.

if you have a license/permit from any state, you can carry a loaded "firearm" (by PA's definition...which excludes long guns) in a vehicle. (however, even with an LTCF, you cannot carry a loaded long gun in a vehicle in PA.)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  19. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota

unless, of course, you want to open carry within 1,000 feet of a school and do not want to run afoul of the federal GFSZ act (which provides an exception for those licensed to carry guns by the state in which the school is located).

(also, i'm not sure about OH, but in PA, having an LTCF--what we call our permits--gets you more than just the ability to conceal your gun. so, even if you only want to open carry in PA, you would still want to get your LTCF.)

20. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Yes indeed. All of my post was meant to convey those instances exclusive of permits.

'Drew