Glock Talk banner

Can you fire 9mm shotshell through Glock?

2747 Views 26 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  samkat
Anyone have any experience with firing shotshell ammunition through Glocks? Do the barrels take it well? Any problems with feeding? Thanks!

Edit: I found a cool/informative video about a guy shooting a Glock 17 with these rounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuf7TDDUIRE
Looks like he had some stovepipe issues. Apparently these rounds barely have enough power to cycle the slide.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
1,769 Posts
In my home defense mag I have 2 shotshells followed by 8 HP's for my 1911/.45ACP

Than again I share a wall and a ceiling.

~ Hackett

· Registered
1,144 Posts
reliability is next to none in an automatic. That said, i have some in various calibers. It mainly has been used in revolvers, but even then, it is limited in use. It spreads very rapidly, within several feet is already spread out pretty wide and within 20' is a very wide pattern.

Not saying I would volunteer to stand in front of it at any range. I would imagine any one catching a facefull of that micro shot is in for a bad day.

· Registered
390 Posts
In my home defense mag I have 2 shotshells followed by 8 HP's for my 1911/.45ACP

Than again I share a wall and a ceiling.

~ Hackett
Did you test that load out first? I don't think that shotshells will penetrate a suspects cloths and then skin. Even if they did penetration would be minimal. Shoot a cardboard target and see for yourself.

I realize that you share a wall with someone else but there are other options out there that would probably serve you better than snake shot. Just my .02.

Not the most scientific testing in the world but gives you a good idea about just how easily a wall will be penetrated by just about every kind of ammo.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/

· Registered
411 Posts
Did you test that load out first? I don't think that shotshells will penetrate a suspects cloths and then skin. Even if they did penetration would be minimal. Shoot a cardboard target and see for yourself.

I realize that you share a wall with someone else but there are other options out there that would probably serve you better than snake shot. Just my .02.

Not the most scientific testing in the world but gives you a good idea about just how easily a wall will be penetrated by just about every kind of ammo.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/
+1. I'm not busting a cap on anyone unless and until I'm ready to send the ba***rd to the happy hunting ground. At that point I won't be worried about the other side of the wall. Besides, the JHP will have slowed by the time it penetrates clothing, heart, backbone and whatever else is in the way.

· Registered
6,043 Posts
I can think of absolutely no reason shooting these through a glock would in any way be harmful to it. As I recall, these are intended for dispatching small critters, especially in places where you wouldn't want to use a solid projectile due to penetration or ricochet concerns. I would *never* use them as some sort of defensive, possibly less-than-lethal purpose, and they are not intended for that.

The guy in the video had two failures to eject properly, so, obviously, they are marginal in that respect. That's no surprise, it's probably a very light load and without any way for pressure to build up behind those little pellets.

It was silly to expect a tight grouping at 10 yards, and 5 yards would probably be the max for little critters.

· Registered
462 Posts
+1. I'm not busting a cap on anyone unless and until I'm ready to send the ba***rd to the happy hunting ground. At that point I won't be worried about the other side of the wall. Besides, the JHP will have slowed by the time it penetrates clothing, heart, backbone and whatever else is in the way.
You better be concerned with what is on the other side of the wall, what if it was your baby sleeping in it's crib, or your wife, or an elderly person just going about their own life in the apt. next to yours. That is why we train and practice what to do if you are placed in a HD situation in your home. If you don't, you don't have any business having a gun for HD. And you can be the one being brought up on charges of manslaughter or worse yet, murder. True a hollow point may have slowed down if you hit your target, nothing to guarantee that will happen in a stressful self defense situation, THINK MAN!!

· Registered
679 Posts
Ive shot some of them .38 spl shot shells at targets 25 feet a way and most of the BB's didnt go threw the cardboard. Its really cool to shot a shoot and see targets with them.

Note : never put them in a lever action rifle.

· Glock talker
948 Posts
Assuming that JHP finds its mark...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.