Can you Dye canvas (cotton) 5.11 material?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by sandyc, Aug 29, 2013.

Tags:
  1. sandyc

sandyc

I'm wanting to dye (different color) some 5.11 products. Has anyone tried this? Khaki to Black is what I want to try, but I don't want to mess it up. Thanks

2. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

3. elsolo

elsolo

Unless they have some stain preventing ScotchGard type treatment, no different than any other heavy cotton.

I bet the zippers and such are man made materials and may not take the dye as well as the cotton fabric. Might end up with black pants with tan trim.

4. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

I know nothing of which you ask. But it seems like a good time to pull out the most interesting unintended play on words I've ever encountered in years of watching subtitled Japanese dramas.

[​IMG]

5. elsolo

elsolo

Was that the insurance fraud episode where he faked his own death for the money?

6. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV

Can you wait 2 months and save your washing machine?

[​IMG]

7. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

haha ... no and the subtitle's not a typo, either. He's explaining to his younger brother that he wants to abandon being a master sword fighter and commit himself 100% to the family business, which is making a particular variety of dyed cloth.

8. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Won't be quite the same as "any other cotton".
    You will find dyeing a finished garment to be a bit of a chore because finished cotton (especially canvas and denim) are subjected to various chemical treatments when the cloth is manufactured, before it is used to make a garment.
    This is done for a variety of reasons.

Depending on the particular cloth and the treatments to which it was subjected, you will probably find that the cloth doesn't accept dye evenly, and the dye will not remain stable but will bleed from the fabric with each washing. For the first 10 - 15 launderings you will not be able to launder the dyed article with other clothes