Can you chop a 17 to a 19 and add a magwell that doesn't flare out like an 18th century dress?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by davidnssbm, Aug 31, 2015.

1. davidnssbm

davidnssbm

I love not only the look, but the idea of shooting a Glock 17 (particularly Gen 2) chopped to a 19 with that flush mag. The equivalent of this 19 Gen 2 chopped to 26:
    [​IMG]

But I'm looking to do this to a 17 down to 19. Do you see how the magazine sits flush with the chop? I would love to have that but with a more bevelled magwell inside. I know there are extensions out there, but they flare out so much. Are there any that don't? Or other options presumably with molded plastic/putty or whatever.

The beauty of the chopped grip is that it cuts the grip before Glock's OEM flare at the bottom. This is what I'm trying to avoid, exaggerated of course:

[​IMG]

But if you chop the grip, most aftermarket maxwells utilize the plug which would be chopped, so Im not sure how to accomplish what I'm looking to do.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    happie2shoot likes this.
  2. Locust414

Locust414

If it were mine, I think I would sit it aside and just buy yourself a used 17 if that's what ya want. When you go chopping pistols, one can mess up and once you do it, there's no going back. You can buy a frame....and replace the chopped one I suppose. But, as long as the 17, 19 and 21's have been around, I would buy a used one.....that way have two reliable pistols.

Add: that flare, on the ZEV, WOW, in a bad way....NOT for me....

Add: I misread your post. You want to chop your 17 to a 19....correct....if so, I would STILL SAY, NO, pick up a used one. Glocks are very reasonably priced for pistol and their reliability.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

3. davidnssbm

davidnssbm

I have a 17 and 19 already. But I'm interested in a combo now!

4. Sharkey

Sharkey

Yes you can chop it but I didn't add a magwell to mine. I never considered it and saw no reason. A smith that specializes in Glocks did it and when it was returned to me, it still needed to lose a bit of the edge to seat properly. He fixed it no problem and it was a carry piece for a year when I did a brief stint back in uniform.

Why would I do that when I already had a G19? They issued Sigs and I was not a fan so the Glock was allowed and you can find duty holsters all over for a G17. You get a bit longer sight radius and a couple extra rounds in the G17 mag. It would make a decent competition gun as is and better if you added a trigger job on it. It's running Express sights on it which are my favorite and they are local.

5. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

You're asking two questions at the same time, and making things difficult to understand.

Can you chop a G17 to a G19 grip? Of course, just using the SEARCH function, or Google, would have given you that answer.

Is there a magwell....flare?.......that doesn't widen at the bottom? Of course not. Look at your pistol, how could one?

6. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Get a G19. Add a G17 length slide and barrel assembly from Lone Wolf, plus whatever they call the little extra part you need to adapt it. Job done, frame not damaged, resale value unaffected.

Willard likes this.
  7. Current Resident

Current Resident

My opinion is yes you could cut down the 17. As a plastic model maker this would be very simple to do for a guy like me.
    As for the mag well seen in the picture, that is absurd. I would rework what is there and make it look like the OEM mag well.
    Is this for you to carry, what is your intention?
    If you are in the Detroit area I would do it for you.
    Elwood

8. CAMSDADDY

CAMSDADDY

I think the first picture of the 19 cut to 26 is done well. I don't see the point in chopping a 17 to a 19 and then adding a magwell. To me that seems as if you take away to add.

9. davidnssbm

davidnssbm

well my intent was to chop a 17 SHORTER than a 19, but not quite a 26. Then ADD a magwell to bring it exactly to a 19. It would be for carry.

The reason I was asking about the magwell is that I saw that cold bore does something similar:

[​IMG]

Here is what I'm going for:
    [​IMG]

Also, can't help but notice the magazine sits parallel with the bottom of the grip texture/frame on a 17:

[​IMG]

Where as the 19 seems to be at an angle >

[​IMG]

Also, if you stand the magazines up side by side, the angel is clearly different. Yet you can use a 17 in a 19 and a 19 in a chopped 17.

What gives?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  10. Current Resident

Current Resident

The way I understand the reason for doing the chop is for CCW , the longer sight radius with the G17 and the shorter grip size for the G19.

I can't figure why in the post above you want to have a grip length of a G27 and add a mag well? The people that have the G19 seem to love it.
    The angle of the magazine base I never noticed, but if you make the change you will obviously have to duplicate that new angle for proper fit.
    I guess I am struggling to understand your intent.

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

If I wanted something like that I would probably start with Cold Bore

12. Current Resident

Current Resident

I reread your post. and the picture that you show from the work done by Coldbore is what I would do. the way that the mag well is beveled/chamfered and the hollow portion of the backstrap filled in with the correct lead in is the best solution. Cutting the grip shorter, then adding length to it adds cost if you are having it done as well as the part itself.
    My vote is if you did do it would be to cut it down to a G19 and you are good to go.

Best wishes and good luck with what you do.
    Elwood

13. Current Resident

Current Resident

I reread your post. and the picture that you show from the work done by Coldbore is what I would do. The way that the mag well is beveled/chamfered and the hollow portion of the backstrap filled in with the correct lead in is the best solution. Cutting the grip shorter, then adding length to it adds cost if you are having it done as well as the part itself.
    My vote is if you did do it would be to cut it down to a G19 and you are good to go.

Best wishes and good luck with what you do.
    Elwood

14. Current Resident

Current Resident

I reread your post. and the picture that you show from the work done by Coldbore is what I would do. the way that the mag well is beveled/chamfered and the hollow portion of the backstrap filled in with the correct lead in is the best solution. Cutting the grip shorter, then adding length to it adds cost if you are having it done as well as the part itself.

Best wishes and good luck with your decision.
    Elwood

15. Current Resident

Current Resident

Best wishes and good luck with your decision.
    Elwood

16. Current Resident

Current Resident

Edit: Delete

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  17. Current Resident

Current Resident

18. FightinCB

FightinCB

Here's what it looks like IMG_6268.JPG

19. Current Resident

Current Resident

20. rosco9

rosco9

i realise this thread is old but i have done exactly what you are asking on a 19 to 26 ... ie. G26L. PM me if curious or have a look on IG (handle: 6zer0).... i can send pics of the 'magwell' to you

21. Gfive45

Gfive45

Any pics?

22. rosco9

rosco9

here's 3 pics...
    1. building the fixture for the milling
    2. as milled
    3. complete (DCA did the finish grip work)

Attached Files:

Gen IV likes this.
  23. nevernuffglock

nevernuffglock

if you want to chop anything down, buy a separate Polymer 80 17 frame and do what you will. They have the frames with metal rails coming out, they may already be out. Reason I say that, I chopped a Glock 22 down I got real cheap but sort of regret it.