close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can you build a better AR for the money than LMT

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by crat996, Mar 22, 2010.

1. crat996

crat996

I am looking at purchasing my first AR soon and I am kinda dead set on an LMT. I have a buddy that has the MRP CQB with the piston in it. I have shot a few rounds through it and I really like it.

My question is for the same money (about $1600ish) can you build a better AR than the piston LMT?

Any help/opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. thisaway

thisaway

If you don't mind a direct-gas-impingement model, try Bravo Co. or Noveske.

3. djegators

djegators

That was my thought, depends on if you want a piston AR or not. LMT is good stuff, but there a lots of options.

4. crat996

crat996

I don't mind DI. I was just wondering how much better the "parts" are on the LMT compared to other companies. I know they are good, but is it worth the extra $$.

I would like the piston gun. Who wouldn't?

Is it totally necessary? No. But, why not?

If I am going to get a new rifle, why not get one of the best?

I could get a cheaper rifle and get more goodies/add-ons and not get the LMT.
    I don't know. It's a hard decision to make and I jsut can't decide.

5. WayaX

WayaX Lifetime Member

Some people actually prefer DI guns over pistons.

Necessary? Nope, not all all. Why not? because it adds unneeded weight, reduces accuracy, and throws the gun off balance.

The best? That's really a matter of opinion. I personally think a gas piston retro-fitted onto a gun designed to be DI is a bad idea. If you want a piston gun, get a gun that was made for it. If you want an AR, go for DI.

That said, LMT makes good AR's. There are better, but the differences aren't very big. As far as piston AR's go, I think I'd rather have an LWRC M6.

6. Exodus.

Exodus.

I'm on board with that to. I have an LWRC M6 and like it alot. I put together a POF AR pistol for just a shade more than 1600, I like the look of it better than the M6. But my go to gun is a DPMS of all things, and its a DI gun, the recoil feels sharper to me with the piston and the bolt seems to throw the rifle out of ballance. I like the push of the DI, but its your money. You cant go wrong with any of these, just depends on what kind of money you are spending to do it.

7. djegators

djegators

You can get Colt, BCM, Noveske, Daniel Defense in that price range. Doubt you will find many that will say the LMT is BETTER than all of those.

8. Norcal911

Norcal911

This is opinion so take it with a grain of salt:
    I wouldn't buy a piston because my AR's are all fighting rifles and there are a couple of million in circulation that are DI and have worked for many years in many situations on just about every battlefield on the planet. Is it the perfect gun, no, but after numerous decades of refinement its getting pretty close. Going piston is a huge design change and I will not conduct R&D at the cost of my safety. Bolt tilt, balance, etc etc are all issues that I don't want to work out. If I won the lottery would I buy one? Sure, but as a novelty to screw around with and see if I could break.

LMT makes an outstanding AR. Can I say its the best? Maybe, maybe not. I can easily put LMT in the same catagory of the best with Noveske, Colt, BCM, etc. I have 2 MRP's (both rifle length) and am very pleased with them. I recommend them w/o reservation-Norcal911

9. gsdrulz

gsdrulz

And you will be hard pressed to find any one to say that they are worse the those you mentioned.

To the OP I have a LMT DI AR that I love. For the same money I could have had gotten a Colt but choose not to.( Been down that road before) Not that there is any thing wrong with Colt but they are just not for me. I would love to get my grubby paws on a piston LMT but the little lady has me buying a Rock River LAR-8 first.

10. SIGShooter

SIGShooter Hucklebucks

For 1600 dollars, you can build a rifle that is better than anything out there. Of course, that's just my opinion. That's a lot of scratch for a build.

I think the 2 most important things you need for a build are a great trigger (Depending on what you will use it for) and a great barrel. You can get uppers and lowers all day and all night and there are some great makers out there.

I never saw the fasicination of the piston system. Yeah, DI is dirty, but it's simple.

Just my thoughts.

11. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

My personal preference is for Continental Machine sourced receivers. CMT receivers have much closer tolerances and way better finish than Lewis Machine receivers in my experience. So, I'd start off with some brand of CMT receiver and use Bravo or LMT enhanced bolt/carrier in the gun. Then, you have the best of both worlds for a heck of a lot less money than 1600 bucks.

12. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

Building an AR may seem like a cheaper way to build a very high quality rifle but it can quickly become a run away train in terms of cost. Great parts can get expensive. Stick to your budget and with $1600 you can build a great rifle, DI or piston.

13. crat996

crat996

I completely agree with that statement. I have been looking for a while trying to decide whether to buy one already built or try to piece it together. I don't want a piece of junk. I do want quality equipment.
    My buddy has the LMT MRP piston rifle and it is really nice. I like it a lot, but it's hard to justify to the wife that I "need" to get that one or spend that much money. Especially when she sees the price of some of the lower end guns. I told her I wanted something better than one of those.

14. kabob983

kabob983 "Mostly" Dead

Very close to my thoughts. Piston retrofits on ARs is a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist. If you want a piston rifle get a Sig 556 or SCAR 16S.

LMT uses great parts and makes an excellent rifle but if you subscribe to the kool-aid they do a few things that are...odd.

-They don't parkerize under the FSB (something you will NEVER know unless you remove the FSB/Gas block)
    -They don't use taper pins in the FSB
    -Typically they ship their rifles with Semi-Auto BCG's (another thing you'll never worry about)
    -For non-MRP rifles they use single heat shield handguards (at that price it's surprising)

Quality of parts is top notch, assembly process is not for everyone. That said, I would own a LMT in a heartbeat.

At that price though you're getting into Noveske territory, I think it is widely agreed on that Noveske/LaRue are about the pinnacle of quality.

As I said in another post a moment ago:

BCM
    Noveske
    LaRue
    Colt
    LMT
    Daniel Defense

You can't go wrong with any of 'em.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010