Can White Guys Sing The Blues?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by reniram, Nov 5, 2019.

1. PoiDog

PoiDog Gun Cultured

How about Steve Winwood? When he was around 16 he sang for the Spencer Davis group way back when.

Great bluesy voice.

2. papershoot

papershoot

reniram likes this.

3. papershoot

papershoot

Now, the fifth daughter on the twelfth night
    Told the first father that things weren't right
    "My complexion," she says, "is much too white"
    He said, "Come here and step into the light"
    He said, "Hmm, you're right, let me tell the second mother this has been done"
    But the second mother was with the seventh son
    And they were both out on Highway 61

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTiWHXNTBdw

tuica and MrGlock21 like this.
  4. Bead

Bead Millennium Member

Bruce Willis, yeah the actor. Great harmonica player too.

tuica and jp 19 like this.
  5. jp 19

jp 19

Return of bruno

tuica likes this.
  6. jp 19

jp 19

I am calling racism on muddy.

happyguy, Cmacc, Bill Keith and 2 others like this.
  7. jp 19

jp 19

Which brings to mind this old piece on how to sing the blues

How To Sing The Blues
    1. 1. Most Blues begin, "Woke up this morning..."

2. "I got a good woman" is a bad way to begin the Blues, unless you stick something nasty in the next line like, "I got a good woman, with the meanest face in town."

3. The Blues is simple. After you get the first line right, repeat it. Then find something that rhymes... sort of: "Got a good woman with the meanest face in town. Yes, I got a good woman with the meanest face in town. Got teeth like Margaret Thatcher, and she weigh 500 pound."

4. The Blues is not about choice. You stuck in a ditch, you stuck in a ditch--ain't no way out.

5. Blues cars: Chevys, Fords, Cadillacs and broken-down trucks. Blues don't travel in Volvos, BMWs, or Sport Utility Vehicles. Most Blues transportation is a Greyhound bus or a southbound train. Jet aircraft and company motor pools ain't even in the running. Walkin' plays a major part in the blues lifestyle. So does fixin' to die.

6. Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

7. Blues can take place in New York City but not in Hawaii or any place in Canada. Hard times in Minneapolis or Seattle is probably just clinical depression. Chicago, St. Louis, and Kansas City are still the best places to have the Blues. You cannot have the blues in any place that don't get rain.

8. A man with male pattern baldness ain't the blues. A woman with male pattern baldness is. Breaking your leg cause you were skiing is not the blues. Breaking your leg 'cause a alligator be chompin' on it is.

9. You can't have no Blues in a office or a shopping mall. The lighting is wrong. Go outside to the parking lot or sit by the dumpster.

10. Good places for the Blues:
      a. Highway
      b. Jailhouse
      c. An empty bed
      d. Bottom of a whiskey glass

11. Bad places for the Blues:
      a. Nordstrom's
      b. Gallery openings
      c. Ivy league institutions
      d. Golf courses

12. No one will believe it's the Blues if you wear a suit, 'less you happen to be a old black man and you slept in it.

13. You have the right to sing the Blues if:
      a. You older than dirt
      b. You blind
      c. You shot a man in Memphis
      d. You can't be satisfied

14. You don't have the right to sing the Blues if:
      a. You have all your teeth
      b. You were once blind but now can see
      c. The man in Memphis lived
      d. You have a pension fund

15. Blues is not a matter of color. It's a matter of bad luck. Tiger Woods cannot sing the blues. Sonny Liston could. Ugly white people also got a leg up on the blues.

16. If you ask for water and your darlin' give you gasoline, it's the Blues

17. Other acceptable Blues beverages are:
      a. Cheap wine
      b. Whiskey or bourbon
      c. Muddy water
      d. Nasty black coffee

18. The following are NOT Blues beverages:
      a. Perrier
      b. Chardonnay
      c. Snapple
      d. Slim Fast

19. If death occurs in a cheap motel or a shotgun shack, it's a Blues death. Stabbed in the back by a jealous lover is another Blues way to die. So is the electric chair, substance abuse and dying lonely on a broke-down cot. You can't have a Blues death if you die during a tennis match or while getting liposuction.

20. Some Blues names for women:
      a. Sadie
      b. Big Mama
      c. Bessie
      d. Fat River Dumpling

21. Some Blues names for men:
      a. Joe
      b. Willie
      c. Little Willie
      d. Big Willie

22. Persons with names like Michelle, Amber, Debbie, and Heather can't sing the Blues no matter how many men they shoot in Memphis.

23. Make your own Blues name Starter Kit: a. name of physical infirmity (Blind, Cripple, Lame, etc.) b. first name (see above) plus name of fruit (Lemon, Lime, Melon, Kiwi, etc.) c. last name of President (Jefferson, Johnson, Fillmore, etc.) For example: Blind Lime Jefferson, Jackleg Lemon Johnson or Cripple Kiwi Fillmore, etc. (Well, maybe not "Kiwi.")

24. I don't care how tragic your life: if you own even one big screen TV, you cannot sing the blues.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Glasgow, happyguy, n2g and 12 others like this.
  8. rainman33

rainman33

The blues are one of the few music genres I enjoy. Black, white, or any other color, it’s not about perfect vocals, but rather the feeling, or soul, felt in the vocals.
    Eric Clapton is Amazing.
    Joe Bonamassa is a Legend.
    Tab Benoit is soooo soulful.

View: https://youtu.be/G27VKWgJeUE

Bill Keith, Hannie Caulder and tuica like this.
  9. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

Those are two of the best shows I ever saw.

I liked Jimmy Thackery's show too.

BobCZ likes this.
  10. unit1069

unit1069

Hilarious, and thanks for posting it. I've forwarded it to at least a dozen people who will really appreciate it.

n2g and jp 19 like this.
  11. reniram

reniram

Yes, I remember BB King saying that about Peter Green. Green was a fine blues guitarist, both in the original Fleetwood Mac and before that in John Mayall's group. He was also a fine singer when he didn't try to sound like something he wasn't (many people don't know he wrote Black Magic Woman which Santana later had a big hit with). However when he tried to sing stuff like JB Lenoir's "Alabama" it comes across as almost cartoonish IMHO even though his guitar playing in the tune is great.

12. reniram

reniram

That's a possible interpretation, although my take is different. I don't think he was saying that white guys couldn't sing the blues, but that they shouldn't try to sing the blues like a black man who grew up in the American South during Jim Crow.

There was a movie in the 1950s called "High Society" which has a memorable scene where Louis Armstrong and Bing Crosby do a duet on a tune called "Now You Has Jazz" which illustrates this perfectly IMHO. Both have authentic sounding blues inflections because they are 100 percent honest in how they approach the style and their background (it also helps that they have a swinging quintet behind them).

Clapton and others named here illustrate Muddy's point - they're all fine players, but where they come up short vocally IMHO is they're doing the musical equivalent of Hillary Clinton's black church accent. That's why a guy like Delbert McClinton works so well for me in a blues context - he sounds like what he is. Clapton (and others) would be the first to admit there's no way they have the authenticity to sound like Muddy Waters singing the blues. Hell it only took one song (Red House) for Jimi Hendrix to sound more authentic singing the blues than anything that any of the white guys trying to sound black ever did, and yes, I know I really stepped in it with that comment :)

13. reniram

reniram

This makes a lot of sense to me.

14. jp 19

jp 19

Micad likes this.
  15. reniram

reniram

MrGlock21 likes this.
  16. Lazy R

Lazy R

I like Johnny Lang. A lot like Kenny Wayne Shepherd.

17. reniram

reniram

18. BigBluefish

BigBluefish

"The blues isn't about feeling better; it's about making other people feel worse."
    - Bleeding Gums Murphy

happyguy, FullClip and reniram like this.