close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can we pay a member fee monthly?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by BilltheCat, Apr 19, 2004.

1. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

I figured somewhere that there are about 1000 active usual posters on a monthly basis. That is 999 besides me!

Anyway, I hear that it takes $2000 a month to support this place. That's $2 a month from me for Eric to break even. Don't I at least owe him that much?

$3 month and he buys food and insurance. $4 a month and he can actually live!

I am proposing that each active member pay a membership fee of 4 or 5 dollars per month on a quarterly, semi, or annual basis to make this place and Eric thrive!

I happen to feel that this place is worth it.

any thoughts?

2. mindonmatter

mindonmatter Who.....me?

I'm going to start donating $5-10 a month. Not much, but it's about all I can afford. If everyone did the same, then it would help Eric out a lot.

However, I don't think it should be mandatory. That causes problems because many people wouldn't sign up to be a member if they had to pay. I would never pay to be a member of a forum before I knew that it was a forum I'd want to be a regular member of. But if it was STRONGLY suggested that you donate a few bucks after you've decided that you want to be a regular member, then I think most people would donate. Or at least I'd hope they would.

3. OSSI

OSSI Litter Kitty CLM

I support that.
    How can I donate from here???

4. mindonmatter

mindonmatter Who.....me?

Scroll up to the top of the page and click the big red "Donations" link :) Actually though, Eric's sister is accepting donations to help with his medical bills which is important since Eric doesn't have med insurance. She's selling raffle tickets for $5 each. Buy as many as you can. You can buy raffle tickets by sending funds to:

Paypal: michelle@aritah.com

Or you can send it by mail to:
    Michelle Powell
    819 W. Arapaho Rd. #24B-194
    Richardson, Texas 75080

Check this post for more details: http://glocktalk.com/announcement.php?s=&forumid=18

5. OSSI

OSSI Litter Kitty CLM

Thanks, will do
    By the way , I bought the polish paste today, will do the trigger and the barrel this weekend
    Thanks again

6. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

I would support a system where you pay $5 per month for the ability to post, and where anyone could read the posts for free. In other words, you only pay to play. Lurking would remain free.

It would sure cut down on the amount of kids who stumble across this site and register and quickly post "HOW CAN I MAK MY GLOK FULY OTOMATIC?"

7. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

You may even be able to tier it
    Free to lurk,
    $1/month to make basic text posts, up to 2/day or somthing like that. - This should keep out the posts Scott is talking about.
    $4/month for full access with avitars, picture posting, unlimited posts, etc.

8. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Of course one thing to remember is that BTC's analysis is static in that it assumes a pay-to-play GT will still have the same level of traffic and participation as it currently does. You should expect that participation will drop off if fees are assessed. I'd imagine that lots of the low level posters would just go away to THR, WT, AR15.com, etc. GT is large enough that it could witstand a certian ammount of withering without falling below the critical mass that a board needs to really work.

9. freepatriot

Yeah, it's a tough call. Some of the most informative posts ever are from people who rarely post. I would hate for them to go away.

Just because someone rarely posts doesn't mean that they don't have some valuable info to share.

10. engineer151515

engineer151515

Good ideas. I'd support any of them.

11. phorvick

phorvick

I hate to be a nay-sayer. I have purchased raffle tickets and will do again, but I would never pay a set fee to participate in the forum.

One of the virtues of the forum is the diversity of experiences and opinions that are here. If it becomes a pay-to-play field, then the population mix will tend to be less diverse and less interesting...it wil start to be more of a "I like Glock club" ... even more so than now.

Either the site can support iteslf through advertising or other means short of mandatory fees, or perhaps it should be allowed to fade. To me, that is the harsh reality.

I also maintain a web site. When I had the time to volunteer more and more of my time, I was averaging about 50,000 visitors a month. It cost nowhere near $2000 a month (unless you factor a price for my time.) If items have to be out-sourced, then costs can be dramatic fairly quickly.

It sounds like this is a labor of love, or has been, for Eric, and perhaps other sources of funds are needed, but my feeling is that it won't work. Remember it was just a few months ago that one idea...the Marketplace portion was suggested to be fee based. Uh...that flopped, and so will charging a fee, even a nominal fee, for participation.

I like this site. I use it daily to learn and educate myself. I "should" be willing to pay a fee for the service, but the reality is that I wouldn't. This does not make me bad, just a realist.

(Portion snipped by phorvick as it was misconstrued by other readers.)

I wish him and this site nothing but the best...

12. freepatriot

13. Maximaking

Maximaking

I'm sure many of you guys are familiar with the site. While Glocktalk is great as a free service I propose Eric could have some features for members only. I think some big hits would be the for sale/trade forums. Eric I don't know what software you run Glocktalk on or if it would jeopardize security by saying but another idea from AR-15.com is that they have different membership options with some even having a domain email. This may or may not be more trouble than it's worth. I don't know the ins and out of hosting a site like this as Eric does. This being said I would like to thank Eric for all of his work and dedication to the site. I would have no problem paying a small membership fee. I think $5/month may run lots of people out as $60/yr might push people to sigforum or something. This is not the objective. Mods, maybee a poll on how much people would pay? personally I think $19.99 is pretty good.

Todd

14. DocH

DocH Man of Sorrows

I would be agreeable to a small monthly or quarterly fee to help out with the site. Since becoming a member of these forums,my wife says she's a GT widow. But she likes it too. Just need to know how to pay it.No problemo. Eric does not need to be dealing with this hacker miscreant with his other problems going on.
    There goes the stress risers again!

15. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

For example, I just cancelled my monitoring account w/ADT in order to save $24.95 a month, as well as an account at match.com (it had become extraneous anyway, but.... ) to save $17.00 in order to try to cover the increased living expenses for 2004 - high house payment due to increased HO insurance premium and the new, 2004 property taxes.

My disability COLA increase was a whopping 1.2% I think - which doesn't even come close to covering the recent gasoline price increase from around $1.50 to $2.00 and more. I'm also looking at about $200 in school fees in a couple months which are required when enrolling my kid as a freshman in high school. My car has been screaming for the replacement of at least two Oxy sensors - and the tags are up in July - but I'm still looking for the extra $200-$300 to pay for the sensors themselves (~$100 just for the two most likely needed) plus the mechanic labor to replace them. I continue to put off much-needed dental work because of the expense.... and I haven't had a female doc visit & annual tests in over 5 years, due to co-pay expense.

My point, such that I have one, is that some of us are truly rubbing nickles and pennies together, hoping for alchemy dimes. There is at least one site I liked to visit which has gone pay-for-content. Even though it's not a huge amount, I have had to pass simply because on an annual basis everything keeps going up and my income never matches the increases.

For me, contributions are workable since I can do them when I do come into a few extra dollars at that particular time. A montly fee would not work for me.
    m

16. okie

okie GT Mayor

I think I have heard Eric say he will never charge to be on this site.
    I send money when I can;)

17. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

It is amazing how this site tries to take care of itself and its members, ive been a member of many different sites, but never have i seen the commrodary (sp?) and friendship that this site has.... :)

18. BilltheCat

BilltheCat Quieter Cat Millennium Member

you are right GSD about the camaraderie here. We are a big family.

and as I have said before MB, I would gladly offer scholarship to you and you wouldn't even have to think of yourself as a kept woman! ;m

19. bucky_925

bucky_925

Someone a while back (I don't remember who) had an idea of a small donation to GT whenever a member bought or sold an expensive item. I thought that was a great idea. When I made my purchase I sent in 5 bucks. Heck I saved a couple hundred and it was because of GT.

If GT went off the net that would cut my surfing down to just a couple of hours a week.

20. ragnarock47

ragnarock47

I've dealt with this issue on my message board. The answer my admins and I came up with was simple. We just asked people to donate money. The first year we offered a community supporter banner for the signature area of their posts (We run V-Bull software as does GT), the last two years we've offered trinkets such as key chains, decals, and such. Our members were very receptive. Other than the theme of each message board, things are very similiar in regards to atmosphere. Meaning, I think it would work very well for GT as well.

The reasons I chose not to go with a fee route for my owners association was that it would take a lot of attention on someones part to handle the transactions, money, etc., as well as it will lessen the size of the members. We also considered a "pay area" for certain resources. Our thinkings why that isn't all that beneficial is that almost any specific info you are looking for, is available in multiple other places on the net. One other issue that weighed heavy in our decision was that when people are required to pay to belong, money disbursement ALWAYS becomes an issue. By asking for funds/donations, people can donate or not, and equally enjoy our community. If they complain/question the finances, they get a general answer and have no right to know anything as they donated by their choice.

For our situation, I felt just asking once a year for funds was the route to go. We didn't want to charge and chase people away, we wanted to welcome all comers. It works well for us. We are about 25% the size of GT and last year we raised over $11k including donations, raffles, auctions, and the small amount of advertisers we have.

From the response to Eric's last auction, and adding asking for donations once a year, I would think GT would easily be covered. Of course that is pure assumption on my part, but I feel it's valid.