close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can We Now Enter More Than 4 Catagories?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by coyote 30, Apr 11, 2003.

1. coyote 30

coyote 30 COYOTE HUNTER!!

I was filling out my registration form for the upcoming GSSF match in Roseburg, OR. in June and noticed that it said you could enter 6 different catagories. Can we do this or is it limited to 4 like in the past? I would like to enter all 6 and shoot them over 2 days. Is it still up to the local host club how many you can enter and that they can handle. I can easily shoot 3 catagories a day. Those extra catagories give me more practice and GSSF more money. If anyone has a definite answer let us know. Bruce

2. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Coyoye
    The max number of entrys is generally set by the host club, however, the most I have ever seen is 4 as long as you are not rated a "Master" shooter by GSSF or other sport shooting orginizations(IDPA,USPSA,NRA,IPCS). If you are a master shooter, GSSF has only two classes you can enter, Stockmeister and Unlimited/Master.
    Dan :cool:

3. jel

jel

new rules this year - up to 6 - details on the website GLOCK Report and in the mailed copy!

4. coyote 30

Thanks for the info. but I still have a question. Looking at the GSSF website and looking at the map for the Roseburg, OR. match I can not make out the writing as to whether I can shoot 6 catagories. I guess my computer doesn't want to work on the map as the writing is kind of scrambled. So I need to know if Roseburg is accepting 6 catagorie shooters? Thanks, Bruce

5. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

The has been a rule change, you can shoot up to 6 catagories. This is confirmed.

6. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Some people should worry about shooting 1 good entry instead of dumping more money into GSSF and shooting 6 so so or less entries.

Maybe this could by Tip #4 for new shooters.;b

7. coyote 30

You are right you should concentrate on one good shoot but I am not a new shooter. I use the other catagories as practice and warmup. I don't get the chance at the ranges I practice at to set up a GSSF course and practice the course of fire so I want to get as much shooting in under a clock on a GSSF course to help in future GSSF matches. Plus When I have to drive 3 to 6 hours to a match I don't want to shoot one catagory in a half hour and then turn around and drive home, I want to get my drives worth of shooting. Sure it costs $150 to shoot 6 catagories but I am only going to the three north west matches and other than gas and food I'm not paying for anything else. Heck I can spend that much in range fees a year where I have to shoot. Bruce

8. Trey

Trey

I'm an RO for Roseburg (past and present). We'd love to see everyone but I thought I should give you our top secret hint.

If you want to shoot 4-6 categories, try to do, most if not all of it on Sun. morning. All day Saturday is a zoo here. Sunday morning is prime shooting time as the lines are really short. Sunday is also when BCarver, the Rheas, etc. usually shoot.

I'll be an RO at the IPSC side match fun stage. Come on over and say hi. PS...bring a hicap mag if you want to win this stage.

9. coyote 30

Thanks for the info. Trey. I will probably shoot 3 catagories on Sat. and 3 on Sunday. This way I can make a full weekend of it. I grew up in Medford so I will go down there to see my parents and it is only 90 miles away. I will take your advice and get there early on Sunday to shoot. Bruce

10. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

That is my answer as well. By the time I get to the 3rd catagory my times and performance have improved a great deal. The third catagory is the high score even when I shoot four.

I would love to shoot 3 on one day and 3 on another as well. lots of practice, I support the GSSF and have two days of fun and two chances to improve a standing with the 3rd match of the day. :)

11. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Foto and coyote,

No ill message intended towards anyone in particular.

I understand the wanting to shoot more idea. If you can handle it, that's great and should do it. But I have seen too many fair shooters at too many matches with 3 and 4 guns. They worry about which gun's turn it is, load which mag, which one to shoot first to get "practice" and "warmup" in before shooting "THE ONE GUN" that is going to give them the best chance. Then, they wonder why they shoot 100+ or 150+ seconds. You hear them with the "No, didn't have a good day, don't know why". Well, the answer is to spend more time practicing and concentrating on the 1 gun, maybe 2, that they should be shooting. The time practicing for most of these fair shooters would be better than the "warmup entries" strategy that they use the day of the match.
    When I was shooting I can honestly say that there were times that 2 guns were too much, and I think I am a fair shooter. I KNOW that I spent a great deal of time practicing. It still was a hassle at times.
    Some of these other shooters just should not be thinking of shooting 3-6 guns IF, they are attempting to better their shooting results and place well in the final results. If the only intent they have is to shoot just to shoot and enjoy themselves, then by all means shoot all 6 classes and enjoy. Just don't wonder why your scores are higher than a summer's day temperature in the desert. ;)

12. coyote 30

TJC, I get your point and agree. I don't want the extra distractions. I prepare before the match to avoid these distractions. I have enough mags that I can load them the night before for each gun and don't worry about them during the shoot. I also figure out what I want to shoot that day as far as guns go and just get them out only. The only thinking I have to do the day of the match is concentrate on the front sight and squeeze the trigger. If it takes me longer to get through the match by shooting only certain guns in a certain order so what, I'm there all day any way and I like seeing other shooters shoot.
    I shot 4 catagories last year at Shelton and had one of my best matches. I am no master shooter yet but have been improving pretty good the last 2 years I have been shooting GSSF. My main goal is to have fun and burn as much powder as possible. Sure I want to win and the more practical practice I get the sooner I will get there. Bruce

13. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

Same for me. I have for the last three matches shot 3 or 4 catagories per match. Each catagory was shot with my G26. I have at present sixteen,G17 10 or 17 round magazines as well as 4 more of the dedicated G26 mags. I have no problem with mix an match since the mags are preloaded and the same pistol is shot for each catagory.

I went with the G26 since that size was required for the subcompact class. It was legal in the other classes and made my life simple.

I have ordered a G34 with my pistol certificate so I might break my "one gun" promise if I can shoot six catagories. Maybe one gun a day. :)