close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can we create a stick on good vs bad brass to reload?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by alank2, Mar 23, 2008.

1. fredj338

fredj338

I admit to not keeping a lot of loaded ammo on hand, usually 500rds of each caliber I shoot often. Components though, if you don't have at least a 3yr min reserve, you are behind the curve on the next shortage IMO. So I am at the bench more than I like, hence the 650.

10or45 likes this.
  2. andy16

andy16

aren't magtech and s&b one in the same, even produced in the same factory? i've shot and reloaded both (9mm) and haven't had any problems or seen any differences

3. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

I've shot about 3500 rounds using S&B primers.....no problems so far.

4. 10or45

10or45

I've found S&B brass to have tight pockets but quality otherwise and CBC or Magtech to have inconsistent case rim widths on revolver cartridges to the point of them sticking in my shell holders. Also the thin case rims have been bent, putting the case mouths out of alignment even with Dillon flared entry dies. I toss all CBC crap.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    dudel likes this.
  5. njl

njl Crusty Member

I seriously doubt it. IIRC, S&B is European and Magtech is Mexican. I've had trouble recently with 9mm CBC brass being too thick to work with MG 147gr FP.

6. andy16

andy16

7. The Kingfish

The Kingfish

Just loaded some .38 special xtreme 148gr wadcutters with mixed range brass. PPU brass mangled every plated bullet no matter how much flare I put on the case.

8. Tomcat10

Tomcat10

Is there a difference between F C , and . F C . Brass ?

9. fredj338

fredj338

Well sort of. Ther are manuf, like FM, that make a case with internal step. Throw these away. Yes they go bang but I have had them separate right at the step. Many foregin made brass are all over the place on specs, so depending on your gun, they may fail to chamber. So I avoid all foregin brass but PMC, everything else is US made.

10or45 likes this.
  10. andy16

andy16

say, i just discovered that winchester can have WMA on the headstamp in addition to WIN. is there a difference? is one preferred?

also, the WMA has a number, i think i've seen 16 and 17--what does the number denote?

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

How to Identify Good Brass for Reloading Flowchart
    1. Is it brass? --> No --> Bad brass for reloading
    V
    Yes
    V
    2. Does it have a primer pocket with 1 hole in the center? --> No --> Bad brass for reloading
    V
    Yes
    V
    3. Will your decapping pin fit through the hole? --> No --> Bad brass for reloading
    V
    Yes
    V
    Good brass for reloading.

Kenbow likes this.
  12. njl

njl Crusty Member

Most likely was brass made for military contract ammo. The numbers are the year of manufacture.

andy16 likes this.
  13. njl

njl Crusty Member

If only it were that simple. But there’s several brands of brass with an internal step that makes the brass susceptible to separation and greatly reduces case volume.

There’s brass with unusually thick walls that doesn’t do well with long/deep seated bullets.

It’s not “all” good.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  14. 10or45

10or45

Agreed.
    I have had brass separate at the step of FM brass. I culled them all out. I called Freedom Munitions over the issue. It is crap. Armscor brass comes to mind with thick walls and seating 180+ grain .357 rounds sized to .358 is awkward. I also don't mind PMC brass even though some flash holes are off center of the pocket. I've never snapped a decapping pin in one yet. It is about the only foreign brass I like. I actually like their .308 brass for my M1A. It is similar to Lake City in internal volume and I get several loadings out of it in the violent action on that gun.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  15. andy16

andy16

thanks for the quick answer! there are some days that i just can't get over how handy the internet is, and this is one of them!

16. QNman

QNman Old timer

The military requires that the headstand have the plant identifier and the year of manufacture. The two Winchester plants are marked WCC (older plant) and WMA (newer plant). The number should be two digits indicating year of manufacture.

andy16 and 10or45 like this.
  17. njl

njl Crusty Member

Even the "is it brass?" question has gotten tricky, with things like FM's American Steel. It's steel cased ammo that's been brass plated. It looks just like brass until its been on the ground long enough for the steel to start rusting through the brass.

18. andy16

andy16

so is the WMA brass exactly the same as the WIN brass? a quick random check here with the micrometer says yes, but are they the same?

19. QNman

QNman Old timer

If they are the same caliber, it is the same brass. The only difference I know of is 5.56 vs. .223 - those cases are different.

andy16 likes this.
  20. andy16

andy16

i guess that makes sense; it sounds like all of winchester's ammunition is made by olin in oxford MS, so they probably just change the head stamper on the same production line.

QNman likes this.