close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can we create a stick on good vs bad brass to reload?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by alank2, Mar 23, 2008.

1. mamanes

mamanes

I picked up 400 Lapua 9mm on sale for about $13/100. Very nice and consistent primer pockets. If I see that deal at Midway again I'll scoop up some more of that! The best I've reloaded so far. I only have 3 reloads on them so I can't say anything about longevity.

2. njl

njl

I can't see buying any brand of 9mm brass new, particularly at that sort of pricing, when I can go to the outdoor range and pick up more than I can use for free. I've got enough 9mm brass, I'm actually considering putting some up for sale.

fredj338 likes this.

3. QNman

QNman Old timer

Many of us (myself included) will never use brass of unknown origin. You have no idea of the history of range pick-ups; how many times it was previously reloaded, what pressure it was fired under, etc. Poor brass discipline - in many peoples minds - is an invitation to disaster.

That said - your reloads, your firearms, your hands - do what you please. Just please be forthright about the brass origin if and when you sell some off.

mamanes likes this.
  4. danbocog

danbocog

Herters should be added to the bad list [ house brand of Bass Pro? ]. Blew up a M1 Garand on YouTube channel KGB65. Don't know how they get their primers in virgin brass but after chamffering primer pocket primers will not seat without tremendous effort.

5. Tomcat10

Tomcat10

I have a fair amount of Federal 40 S&W brass , and when I run it through the sizing decapping die it doesn't take much effort . Is this because the primer pockets are a little over sized ?

I should mention I bought it on line as once fired cleaned , and polished brass .

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  6. Tomcat10

Tomcat10

I was just looking at the 2017 Alliant Powder Reloader's Guide , and the cases they have listed for 40 S&W are Federal , and Speer . Also this guide is showing Max Loads .

7. mamanes

mamanes

It doesn't take much force to push the primer out, most of the required force is for sizing. Maybe they were fired from a gun with a slightly smaller chamber. Do the resized cases fit your chamber OK? Do they fit your chamber before resizing? Does priming take a little effort or do they slip in easily?

Tomcat10 likes this.
  8. Tomcat10

Tomcat10

I get what your saying , this brass is so clean , and polished it looks almost as good as my wet tumbled brass . It gets cleaned , and polished with stainless steel pins .

mamanes likes this.
  9. jonb32248

jonb32248

I pick up any 9mm brass I can find at the range. 99.99% of it is once fired. I havn't had one problem yet. I don't see the thing with separating per head stamp. If I'm shooting at the range, who cares which manufacture made the cases. I don't see any difference.They all go bang.

rogn and snuffy33 like this.
  10. QNman

QNman Old timer

First of all, that is your right, no question. You're opinion is different, and that's OK.

Personally, FOR ME, unknown brass is just that - UNKNOWN (sorry, you haven't the faintest idea what the actual percentage of brass pick-ups are once-fired; I'd wager a lot less than 99.99%). FOR ME, the "savings" aren't worth the risk. You're not the only person out there who does this, but that doesn't mean there aren't others of us who won't participate.

Second, as to head stamp; it depends on what you want out of your ammo. If your goal is "bang" only, and you don't push the pressure limits on your reloads, then you're absolutely right - no difference.

If, however, you push the pressure boundaries, different manufacturer's of brass have slightly different thickness and dimensions, which may vary the pressure with the same charge. Along those same lines, if you are concerned about better than average accuracy, different brass can make a difference.

YMMV, but for me, I'll keep rolling my own pick-ups.

11. jonb32248

jonb32248

I hear you, the 99% thing was just an exaggeration. But I hope you understand what I was saying. Ihe range that i go to is a state range with no monitoring by state employees. There is always brass from all kinds of calibers on the ground. So I would suspect that most reloader's pick up their own cases. I watched a guy on Friday fire off 200 maybe more factory rounds and walk away. So guess what I did, yep picked them babies up. I don't go anywhere near max loads when I load. I've been at this for around 40 yrs. and take great care to not have any accidents. Thanks for the post.

mamanes likes this.
  12. QNman

QNman Old timer

Sure, I understand! :cheers:

13. fredj338

fredj338

It isn't hard to determine abused brass from once fired. I understand the safety issue, but if all your reloading is well off max, even old worn out brass isn't going to do anything but split at the mouth & I have had new brass do that. JMO, too many over think this stuff. When I want to run the ragged edge though, I load new or brass that is once fired from my guns.

SBray likes this.
  14. njl

njl

I'm not kidding...but last time I paid that much for new 9mm brass, it included primers, powder, 115gr FMJ bullets, and came fully assembled.

15. A6Gator

A6Gator

Just an update, the tight primer pockets is still true for CBC brass. 9mm, anyway. I'm guessing roughly 10% are impossible to get a (WSP) primer into. Started sorting brass since I started loading 165's, and had a bunch of CBC that I thought I'd use for PCC gamer loads. The ones that load work okay, but seems like there's a lot that get stuck halfway in the primer pocket or get bent up in the process.

16. A6Gator

A6Gator

The time my antenna really goes up is picking up after a USPSA match. After hearing what passes for load data for 9 major in Open guns, I usually wait a week or two before venturing out to pick up 9mm brass. 40 S&W? Bring it on!:supergrin:

I think with ammo prices going down, I'm finding a lot more "once fired" or really new looking brass out there than during Barry's reign.

17. fredj338

fredj338

Agree, 9mm major is to be avoided but again, you can usually spot it, it looks pretty bad. Primers super flat, case heads often with swipes partially obliterating the headstamp.

10or45 likes this.
  18. A6Gator

A6Gator

Agreed. But when I'm on a mission to pick up brass (either post-match or during the week), I'm pretty much looking for "nice" brass now. I think, since DT got elelcted, and the price of ammo is dropping, I'm finding more and more once-fired stuff that the casual shooter/plinker-types are just leaving on the range. Life's betta! :banana:

fredj338 likes this.
  19. fredj338

fredj338

If i never picked up another service pistol case, i would probably be fine. Its just an ilness that comes with reloading. I do enjoy the cheap ammo climate, more brass for me.

20. Turn4811

Turn4811

I have the illness as well. I did an inventory on my loaded ammo about 2 months ago. I have a 3 year supply of 9mm loaded up and components for another 5. My 45 supply is almost as bad but not quite. I have taken a sabbatical from the reload bench to knock the inventory down a little bit.

fredj338 likes this.