close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can we create a stick on good vs bad brass to reload?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by alank2, Mar 23, 2008.

1. VN350X10

VN350X10

If you want good brass in 9mm, go with Remington. There's a slight chamfer leading into the primer pocket, and it is extremely consistant. I've loaded & fired over 100K rounds shooting USPSA competition(including practice) with ZERO failures of any kind. This includes abusing the brass with 9mm Major loads in my Open Glock, and no problems. It gets 2 stage tumbled clean & carefully inspected, but so do all of my other loads. If you mhave any personal reasons that you don't like Rem, use Winchester. A bit harder to prime (no chamfer) but just as good.
    The chamfer is very helpful, as I have a Lee 1000 dedicated to 9mm, and it's not as precise on priming as my Dillon presses are.

uncle albert

2. Rusty Gun

Rusty Gun Still learning to shoot

Can anyone tell me about 9mm brass with a head stamp "YVX 14". It is nice looking brass but has a green sealer on the primers and the primer pockets are crimped.

I am wondering where it came from as the last batch of range pickup was about 700 and 70 of them were these little annoying bastards. I have not seen them in my range pickups before. They de-prime okay but will not take a new primer. And before you ask I did try my entire list of profanities almost every time they interrupted my loading ritual and this did not help at all. Maybe I needed more volume. Other than visual inspection, is there is an easy way to just get them the heck out of my brass stash?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016

3. VN350X10

VN350X10

Sounds like a Mil headstamp, but I have no clue on it. Being military would explain the crimped primers thou.

uncle albert

4. fredj338

fredj338

PPU seem a bit thicker. So if using a 0.357" lead or coated lead bullet as many do, might get into chambering issues.

5. Mikie

Mikie Millennium Member

AMERC is the only really bad, useless brass I have come across to reload. It's amazing to me how soft this brass is such that it can barely hold onto the bullet. Another brass make is good quality but the crimped primer pockets make it finicky to seat the new primer. The brass I'm talking about is TZZ which I have only encountered in 45ACP. Otherwise TZZ quality is excellent.

6. fredj338

fredj338

You need to remove the crimp then gtg.

7. MontanaGlock.40

MontanaGlock.40

8. dudel

dudel

No problem with LC brass. Remove the crimp and on your way.

Note that 223 LC brass (and maybe other LC calibers) come in NATO and non NATO. The NATO variety (designated with a + with a circle around it on the case head) will have slightly less volume. Could be an issue if you are loading max rounds. LC brass I separate by date, then by NATO/non NATO.

G19 DB likes this.
  9. danbocog

danbocog

Don't know if this was covered in a previous post but AMERC [American Quality Ammunition] is now using A-USA head stamp. It is garbage ammunition and the cases are the worst part.
    Out of 30 rounds of 10mm that I fired 7 cases were split at the mouth or above the extractor groove. Inspected the other 220 unfired cartridges and found 37 that were already split.
    The rounds that I fired sounded like pop, pop, pop, BANG and then more pops and another BANG. At 10 yds could not keep all rounds on a 10X12 in. target.
    Called them and spoke to Darren, told him about the inconsistency and split cases. He told me it was not possible as their quality control is the highest in the industry.
    I keep this box of garbage on my desk to remind me you get what you pay for. The fired/split cases I keep in my range bag to show anyone who ask about buying cheap bulk ammo.

10. 10or45

10or45

Good to know. I had A-USA brass losing primers in my 1911. The pockets were tapered. Tossed them all.

11. njl

njl

Odd. Word online was that A-USA was Armscor.

12. 10or45

10or45

That's what I have understood also. I know for sure that I won't use that brass regardless of manuf.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  13. danbocog

danbocog

The brass is made for Armscor by American Quality Ammunition as per my conversation with Darren.

14. njl

njl

That's kind of scary that Amerc is producing additional headstamps now and inconceivable that any manufacturer would trust them to produce brass.

15. danbocog

danbocog

The 250 Rds. of 10mm labeled American Quality Ammunition that I purchased through a well known discounter known for their "cheap" products is also head stamped A USA. This ammo was advertised as full metal jacket but is the poorest, dinged and malformed plated bullet that has every seen the light of day.
    Darren mentioned several other companies that they also produced brass for with their head stamp as well as loaded ammo.
    One will surprise you and may explain some comments I have read about even the best companies lay an egg every now and then.
    Don't know who to trust anymore.

16. 10or45

10or45

Lapua for rifle, Starline, Federal, and Winchester for pistol, and Winchester for hot bolt gun loads are good to go. Federal is a bit softer brass.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  17. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Has anybody tried the new Starline bottleneck rifle brass, esp. 308?

18. doneee

doneee

With rifle the best brass is Lapua of course besides that super spendy stuff winchester federal hornady first choice and with pistol the same but you can use other stuff but not so much with high presure rounds like pmc! Try rolling a piece of brass on a flat table! 90%of that garbage is out of round!! Try it sometime and you will see. I have reloaded win. 30+ times with no failures at all! ( no full house loads) but target loads.

19. doneee

doneee

Starline is good! Winchester is what I prefer and it very resilient And really holds up

20. doneee

doneee

I neck size most of the time and aneal every 3 reloadings and have 20+ reloads out of .223 with maybe 1 or 2 split necks out of 400 cases and I've had the same results out of 22/250 with winchester!! I like that brass a lot