close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Can we create a stick on good vs bad brass to reload?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by alank2, Mar 23, 2008.

1. DaniBoy

DaniBoy

I have been coming across some 9mm range brass stamp "WMA" I don't know what there is about it, but my Dillon cannot fully seat a primer it that stuff. I don't see any NATO crimp, but still doesn't wanna prime.

2. njl

njl

A quick googling suggests its Winchester. Does yours also have a 2 digit (date code) after WMA? It probably is crimped.

3. OkieGunNut

OkieGunNut

upload_2016-9-4_15-20-17.png

Is this it? this is what one person found out from Winchester: "Those rounds are loaded to the same spec as our standard 9mm Luger. Winchester head stamps for that load can vary from WCC, WMA or 9MM Luger.
    Whatever shell cases are available at the time get used to make that product to ensure that there is a constant flow of quality ammunition being produced. This is not uncommon. Best Regards, Winchester Technical Services Dept."

4. fx77

fx77 CLM

Lapua for everything
    Second choice is Nosler
    finally RWS
    choices...not cheap but of uniform quality..

5. 10or45

10or45

I was shooting some 45acp A USA head stamped brass today I got from Freedom Munitions a while back. These were not their actual loads, but my reloads. Once I shot up their re-man stuff and cleaned the cases, I separated the brass by head stamps. The A USA looked the cheapest so I reloaded it first. The primer pockets had a lot of variation as far as seating pressure. I shot them once and all was fine. I cleaned them, and noticed the primer pockets were out of spec. ..not like S&B or Herters; which are on the tight side, but not square or consistant. I ran a K&M carbide pocket uniformer through them. Then I reloaded and proceeded to shoot them. My gun kept jamming. It's a tuned Springfield 1911. I noticed right off the bat that primers were falling out on extraction and causing a failure to rtb. the primers from previous spent cases were getting hung up between the barrel/hood and breech face. It fed the new round fine. I've never had this happen, and it ocurred about 20 times out of 160 rounds. That uniformer is nuts on so I know that's not the problem. I was using S&B large pistol primers. I would avoid A USA brass like the plague. The pockets were shallow and all over the place.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  6. DaniBoy

DaniBoy

That's the case that hates to be reprinted. I throw them out when I find them in my brass.

7. fredj338

fredj338

The
    small nato cross tells you they are probably crimped pockets.
    There are two brands to absolutely trash; FM & IMT, both have this stupid step inside thecase. They can & will separate with full power loads.
    [​IMG]

8. Turn4811

Turn4811

I have had issues with CCI primers in 9mm S&B cases with the primer cups too tight. When I switched over to S&B primers on the S&B cases it all went together without any issues.

What I have not seen in this thread is anything on the crap brass that TulAmmo puts out. It is worse than the AMERC stuff. With TulAmmo the brass is soft enough the base can separate when it is deprimed. If the TulAmmo brass makes it past the deprime the case can crumple in the resize process pulling free of the case holder - not fun digging it out of the die when it gets stuck in the die.

9. DaniBoy

DaniBoy

Has anyone had a problem with Aguila brass separating like that? I ask because there is a scored line around the outside of those cases. Seems like that would be a weak spot.

10. fredj338

fredj338

Diff, That is a case cannelure pressed into the case. YOu will see it on older Win brass too. The stepped brass thing is just a place for it to separate IMO. It was a theory I had, so never loaded any, but that one case snuck by me & it separated inside my gun during a match of course.

11. QNman

QNman Old timer

WMA is Winchester Military ammo. It is crimped. If you decrimp properly, it loads just fine.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    Glock Commander likes this.
  12. njl

njl

I think there's also Ammoload stepped brass. And just to keep you on your toes, the latest abomination from Freedom Munitions is their American Steel line of ammo. It's steel cases with a brass plating. Not sure what the headstamp(s) on it are...but it's something to watch out for if you stray from the usual range pickups (Win/FC/PMC/UMC/Blaser/Perfecta/Speer/Geco). I've noticed a few empty boxes in the trash at the range.

I find that what I pick up is such a large majority Win/FC, that I rarely load other headstamps in 9mm. OTOH, I used to sort all my 9mm brass. My eyes and spare time are getting to the point where that's become impractical. I have a big box of clean brass I haven't gotten to sorting, and don't know when or if I will.

13. fredj338

fredj338

:agree: My 1911/9mm is very picky, tight match chamber. So I sort, one can for Win, FC or Blazer, the rest in another. Anything that doesn't case gage goes into my G26. I toss the FM & IMT, Geco, Aquila or GFL, S&B seems ok.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Glock Commander likes this.
  14. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

I sort by headstamps too. I do not like nickel cases, JMHO.

USGI brass is the best but you do have to remove the primer crimp.

15. fredj338

fredj338

I love nickel cases because I KNOW it isn;t one of those f-upped FM or IMT.
    [​IMG]

16. fredj338

fredj338

You new at this? That is just not true. Some brass it total crap & it will fail & that failure could damage the chamber or crack a grip if it blows out the wrong place or at the least, come apart & tie up your gun.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  17. fredj338

fredj338

Many now do; Win NT & Federal NT come to mind.

18. 10or45

10or45

I just ran across some of those Ammoload stepped cases while sifting media from tumbler. I had a Freedom Munition reman case separate last summer just like the FM and IMT. It was probably an Ammoload. Now that I'm setup with a good progressive and tons of brass saved, I'll be tossing the crap cases. I was having problems getting my 550 dialed in with 9mm. It was probably bad brass.

fredj338 likes this.
  19. KIDCOP

KIDCOP Rifle Master Millennium Member

A note on PPU brass. I found some for my 6.5 X50 Jap. Loads just fine. Wish I'd bought more as 6.5 Jap brass is sorta a rare bird.

20. 10or45

10or45

I am interested in PPU for plinking pistol. I have approx 600 rounds of reloaded Ammoload crap cases that I ran through my press before I found out on this thread how bad they were. I don't trust running them through an autoloader. I might look for a 9mm revolver to shoot them out of. I am now only buying Winchester or Federal for the brass. Federal primer pockets seem to loosen up on me faster than Winnies. I've heard PPU is decent.