GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a Glock G32. Can it be converted to 9mm?

Thanks in advance.

We trudge on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got a G32 Gen 4 a few months ago.

I have since used Lone Wolf conversion barrels to convert the G32 into 9 mm and 40 S&W.

I already had some 9mm magazines from converting my G27 to 9mm. Also had converted it to 357 Sig.

I did buy some extra 9mm magazines (G17) and 357 Sig magazines (G31) for the conversions.

All three calibers shoot really well.out of the G32. Over 1,000 total rounds without a single problem.

The G32 has become my primary daily carry.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Conversion barrel and mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As a side note, you can shoot 9mm out of G23 or G32 magazines. I'm not recommending it, however, it can be done and in my experience without any issues. Many years ago I carried either a G23 or a G19 off duty. I was qualifying with my G19 but had accidentally grabbed a G23 mag in with the G19 mags. I was halfway through qual when I realized I was shooting 9mm in the G23 mag. Didn't have a single issue.

So while it's not something I'd necessarily recommend, it is nice to know that in a pinch it can/does work.

:)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Here is a photo of G19 and G23 magazines for comparison. The two FDE mags are the G19 and the black mags are the G23
From left to right:
G19 with 9mm follower and 9mm dummy rounds
G23 with 9mm follower and 9mm dummy rounds
G19 with 40S&W follower and 40S&W dummy rounds
G23 with 40S&W follower and 40S&W dummy rounds.

IMG_8144.jpeg

G19 with 9mm follower on left and G23 with 40S&W follower on right

IMG_6216.jpeg

G23 mag with 9mm follower on left, G19 mag with 40S&W follower on right

IMG_7461.jpeg

As you can see, there is a very good chance that you will have feed issues using a 40/357 mag with 9mm no matter if you use the 40/357 follower or the 9mm follower. It would be best to get the correct magazines for the caliber that you are shooting.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Well from all this I gather you can get a 9mm barrel for a) .40 S&W, b) .357 Sig, c) 10mm.

And I bet if 9mm works (more or less) in a .40/.357 Sig mag then maybe, just maybe, in a 10mm mag (I've heard you can use .40 S&W in a 10mm mag so... again 'maybe')

And of course you can get a conversion barrel for a 10mm to use 40 S&W and, I think, 357 Sig... as well as 9x25 Dillon.

Add to that the AACK .22 unit and...

Man life is grand!

Reactions: Deputydave

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Which really makes a 40 S&W and/or 357sig platform better, in terms of options, than a 9mm platform. With the 40/357sig platforms you can go 9mm but not normally the other way around. Options and versatility in a platform are huge pluses.

I've adopted this philosophy to several of my pistols. My G22.4 also has a 9mm conversion barrel and if/when I see a 357sig barrel at a good price I'll get one. More than likely I'll just get an OEM 357sig barrel and call it good. My HK P2000 has both 40 and 357 barrels and lastly my HK USPc is a 9mm with a complete 40 slide and additional 357sig barrel.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
We had a G19 gen 3 and then a Gen 4, but "too big" for my wife. I sold both, but got a deal on a black threaded barrel Lone Wolf conversion barrel with thread protector. In my G23C it's like shooting a .22LR and very accurate. I like the extra barrel length, too.
I bought the 9mm ejector and extractor, but didn't see the need. I have plenty of 9mm mags and ammo, so fit's nice to have options.
I got Wifey a G43 and put FO Nite Sites on it. We have 10 mags and +1 and +2 bases on most of the mags that work perfectly.

Reactions: Deputydave

·
Registered
676 Posts
I suggest using the correct 9mm magazines if you use a 9mm conversion barrel. I tried hand cycling some 9mm dummy rounds loaded in a 40Cal magazine with the conversion barrel installed. It did not work for me. As the pistol fed the top round, the next round in the magazine would come out of the feed lips and jam the pistol up.

Here is a photo of 2 G23 40 cal magazines with the correct 40 cal follower. One on teh left is loaded with 9mm and the one on the right with 40 S&W
9mm in 40 mag.jpg

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Either mag fits in the pistol, but with the proper ammo only.

I don't know if you've noticed, but a 9mm cartridge will fall freely through a .40 S&W barrel! I just refreshed my memory by doing that with my G23C. :D

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So no extractor / ejector change is needed cause of the smaller 9-mm case?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Some have advocated that. I really don't know and only have my somewhat limited testing at the range to look at. I've shot a few hundred rounds several times with NO problems of any kind. I did use Glock 9mm mags up to 33 or so rounds.
I even shot at least one 50+ drum full testing that mag, before I sold it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Here is a side by side photo of the 9mm 30724 ejector and the 40 S&W 28926 ejector with a 9mm magazine inserted in the magwell.

The OD Green frame has the 28926 and the FDE frame has the 30274
9mm vs 40 ejectors.jpg

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I guess that I would go ahead with the 9mm parts if I wanted to leave it 9mm for a while. That's why I have them... just in case.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts