close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

can u use steel case bullets in GSSF

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by tthigpen63, Aug 26, 2011.

1. tthigpen63

tthigpen63

Just wondering. I have never done a competition before thought it would be fun for me and my grandad to try. I have tul ammo 9mm and they have steel case and I think a steelcore a magnet sticks to it. Will I be able to use these at the match

2. mike g35

mike g35

Yep, you can shoot whatever you want.

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Blazer, Wolf, Monarch, Tula....if they run the gun, bring it.

4. tthigpen63

tthigpen63

good deal thank guys. im going up to columbia for a little while in the am to check it out before i compete sunday so i can get a feel for things. i dont want to try to compete tomorrow because i have to be at work at 3. is there any factory ammo yall recommend for competing with the 9mm. that steel case ammo is filthy

5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I shot 4 categories of 9mm at Dawsonville and I think I shot 375 rounds or so for all 4 guns. About 350 of it was steelcase. Clean the gun before you shoot and you should be fine for the match. Before it got pricey, I shot CCI Blazer aluminum, exclusively. Until I get enough brass and a reloader, Monarch steel case has been ammo of choice.

6. MajorD

MajorD

the accuracy requirements are not extreme for gssf. If your gun runs well with whatever ammo go ahead and use it. Not that anyone inspects ammo or would give you a hard time for it but I consider it "bad form" to use reloads or plain lead at gssf since the company states they won't warrany the guns when used with such ammo. I shoot pretty good (bumped to master class recently) And I buy whatever 115gr bargain ammo I find at a good price. Last matches I attended I had no less than 5 different brands with me and used them interchangeably and it didn't affect my score a bit.

7. mike g35

mike g35

I use Winchester white box 115gr 9mm, the Q loads and they work fine for me but unless you have a gun that requires you to shoot special ammo like my compensated pistols then I would just shoot whatever you can find for a good price. Remember to bring about 250 rounds though that way you have more than enough for the match.

8. SARDG

SARDG

But how do you know how many divisions he's shooting and what those divisions are and whether or not he'll require a re-shoot.

When I'm driving to a match I put plenty of 'ballast' in my truck. My formula = the maximum I would need for all my divisions X 2 + lots more. :) Remember my mantra - nothing succeeds like excess.

9. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

WW White box is a good choice. If you get any of the steel case ammo like Tula be sure to shoot several rounds in practice to be sure it works. I helped RO at the Griffin, GA Match and a shooter came through shooting Tula in a G17 and had so many malfunctions that we let them get other ammo and reshoot. Some folks use it with no problems but every gun and shooters grip is different and sometimes it won't work reliably. WW White Box and Remington both normally do great.

As for how much ammo to bring, I always take 150 rounds for each category I will be shooting except for Heavy Metal and I bring 100 rounds for it. I have always come home with extra ammo.

Don

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  10. SARDG

SARDG

Another thing... some venues have separate warm-up stages set up and you may want to blow a few rounds downrange on that, too. (of course, practice is a lot like cheating... :))

11. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Not like...it IS.

12. SARDG

SARDG

You may be right... I plan to increase my skills by studying complex spreadsheets of my match results. :tongueout:

Cheaper too!

13. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

the question mentioned STEEL CORE

that might be a different kettle of fish!

14. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

9mm Luger (9x19mm), TulAmmo, 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket Bullet, 50 Round Box.

Manufactured at the Tula Cartridge works in Russia.
    Polymer coated steel case.
    Bimetal jacket (copper over steel) will attract a magnet.
    Berdan Primed
    Non corrosive.
    Non reloadable.

Non-returnable item.
    Muzzle velocity: 1150 fps.
    Uses: Target Shooting, Training, Plinking.

For quality issues and concerns please contact:
    Lisa Weaver
    info@tulammousa.com
    888-317-5810 x4006

Above is the data from one of the online sites that sells it. I personally would not put it in any Glock I own. After witnessing the problems a shooter had at the Griffin Match just confirmed my thoughts that it is "Junk" and doesn't belong in any Glock of mine. Of course it's your Glock so use what you want but it may cost you more in the long run.

Don

15. mike g35

mike g35

Good point, I never considered the OP may be shooting more than one division. All I can tell the OP for sure is prepare to have a really good time, GSSF is addictive and the people you will meet at the match, at least the ones I met at my first match, are some of the nicest and most helpful people you will likely ever meet.

16. ede

ede Bama's Friend

best way to get around the practice issue is to do ballistic testing. Bama says it isn't cheating if you're testing ammo.

17. mike g35

mike g35

I don't like the steel cased ammo either. If you have a bunch of it and you want to burn it up at the match then go for it but if you want to buy new ammo WWB is what I would try. I shoot it religously and I have never had any problems at all with it.

18. SARDG

SARDG

My very first match I shot 4 Divisions; 3 regular and MajorSub, plus 2 full mags at a warm-up. That was about 435 rounds with no re-shoots. It's nearly no less difficult to throw 1000 rounds in the back of the truck as to load 500 in the back. (Actually, 400+ rounds are loaded into mags before I leave.)

19. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

I would like to see someone chrono some of this. I used to shoot Tula and WWB exclusively until i started reloading. WWB was much stouter than Tula, but it ran my G34 just fine and would still knock over bowling pins. When i was RO'ing @ Dayton this year you could always tell when someone was shooting steel cased, it has a noticeably different sound.

20. tthigpen63

tthigpen63

i shooting one amateur civ with my g19 and i think its amateur competition with a g17c. the ammo is dirty but out of 200 round i have had one misfire. i like the way it shoots and i hold decent groups with it. i cant wait to attend my first match im about to go clean my guns now. lol