can u shot 40S&W in a 10mm Glock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by The10mm Man, Nov 6, 2005.

1. The10mm Man

The10mm Man

hello everyone. i understand that this subject has been brought up before but i'm having no luck finding.

anyway. can you shot 40 S&W safely in a 10mm G20? any and all info is greatly appreciated.

2. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Let me word it this way; it can be done in an emergency.
    Most of us would suggest a conversion barrel.
    Lone Wolf has them.
    www.lonewolfdist.com

3. nickn

nickn

I have read stories of people doing, but its not a good idea at all, IMO get the right parts to shoot the right bullet.

4. The10mm Man

The10mm Man

First off, this is just a curiousity question. I have loaded 40cal for years. Basically, the 10 is just .142" longer with the same OD dimensions as the 40. I was just curious if the 10 feel into the same category as the 38spcl and 357mag. From everything I've looked at I would suspect it would but knew there had to be allot more people out there than me that had thought the same thing. And probably quite a few that had tried it. Can anyone give me a link or any info that says you SHOULD NOT or CAN shoot 40 in a 10? Thanks in advance for all the info and also for the previous replies.

10mm Man

5. JinVA

JinVA

The manual says only shoot factory ammo in the same caliber written on the weapon. So that is what I would advise.

I have 150 rounds of 40SW through a stock G20. It doesn't toss the brass as far, but POI is fairly consistent (comparing 180gr practice loads to 180 gr practice loads).

That said I have plans to acquire a 40SW barrel eventually, maybe in longslide format.

6. chief_017

chief_017

i have shot some .40 out of my 29 without a problem. And Ted Nugent says hes shot "acres of .40 s&w brass through his stock 20's and 29's without a single malfunction", I really dont think he would lie about something like that.

there was a post on here somewhere where somebody had tried it and the firing pin punched through the primers, but thats the only negative experience that i've heard of.

7. straightblast

straightblast

I have shot plenty through my stock G20 and G29. Can't recall a malfunction. Is it advisable to do? I assume not.

8. hartzpad

hartzpad

Just picked up a Glock 29 today, I'm sure I'll try a box of .40 through her some day just for kicks.

9. Vulcanese

Vulcanese Furious Retard

Seems that this would be comparable to the common pratice of firing 38 Not So Special cartridges in a .357mag wheelgun. Seems that the only real difference would be the round's headspacing on the extractor, as opposed to the case mouth. It's likely that a 10mm cartridge will headspace on the extractor as well, being pulled back by the extractor a tiny fraction of an inch from the chamber ledge when in battery.

10. Governor

Governor NRA member

source?

11. Wolf Spyder

Wolf Spyder Gun Activist

I have had my Glock 20 for years. I have shot a few .40 cal rounds from my 10mm with out malfunction. I was told it would cause a major Ka-boom... so I quit.

I know it can be done, but what can really happen? Will it Ka-boom?

12. JinVA

JinVA

The danger I can foresee is propellant residue building up in the forward part of the chamber while shooting 40s, then switching to 10s. The residue could prevent the 10 from fully chambering and cause a kb when fired.

The remedy for this would be to carefully clean the chamber between firing 40s and 10s.

There could be other dangers I do not foresee.

13. nickE10mm

nickE10mm F.S.F.O.S.

my own rule, regardless of what "can" be done:

** Fire our of your gun ONLY the caliber that is stamped on the barrel. Conversion barrels are cheap, your safety or the safety of others is nothing I take lightly.

Be Safe.;c

14. MMurray

MMurray Constructionist

Ok the fire arm will shot 40s&w with a couple of small hitches it is very hard on the extractor because the extractor is holding the case on the breach face instead of head spacing off the case cartridge mouth this may cause premature breakage. I have fired sever thousand of 40 in my g20 with no ill affect I do clean my firearm at the end of the range day to keep the build in the chamber from stopping 10mm rounds from functioning the only other concern I can come up with is chamber erosion because the flame could round the area where the 10mm case head spaces. It is your choice but has not hurt mine.

15. The10mm Man

The10mm Man

thanks to everyone for posting on this subject. Again, I was just curious and evidently hadn't given it enough deep thought to realize several other peoples thoughts also of the head spacing on the case mouth. The only one thing that many people talk about though is the premature breakage of the extractor. I can't see how this would hurt the extractor. The extractor is just gripping the case head. And when it fires the case is now pressed against the bolt face (or I should say the slide). But that's just my thoughts.

Again, thanks to everyone for the info.

16. chief_017

chief_017

There was a post about the same subject on the main forum at tednugent.com, it came direct from one of his posts in the thread. For some reason it also seems like he mentioned it in God, Gun's & Rock-n-Roll, but I'm not positive on that one, I'd have to read the book again to find out for sure.

17. Governor

Governor NRA member

thanks

18. Vulcanese

Vulcanese Furious Retard

What is the address for Ted's forum? I don't see anything about it at http://www.tednugent.com/

Maybe I'm overlooking it.

Thanks

19. chief_017

chief_017

when your at the tednugent.com homepage look at the lefthand column. click on the link that says talkback, then click general.

20. Vulcanese

Vulcanese Furious Retard

Ok, got it, thanks.