Can this be done?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by LoWRyDa, Feb 14, 2005.

1. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

I actually posted a question pretty similar to this awhile back but this is a slight bit different, but if i buy a new case(w/Power supply) & motherboard, can i take out the processor, memory(dependent on motherboard), optical drives, and any other non dell parts and just install it on the new motherboard? The last time i asked this it was just a total transfer of everything, including the dell MB, but now i want to get a new motherboard as well, well if possible that is.

2. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

The motherboard has to be compatible with the processor and the RAM, the other components will work just fine.

3. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

i have a pentium 4 3.06GHz with H/T, and when i look up my actual system on dell's site it says i have SOCKET N, but when i look up motherboards on newegg.com i see that alot are Socket 478, is that the same thing?

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

That sounds like the "Dell" model to me. If it is a P4 3.06 with a 533 fsb then it is a socket 478...I know this because that is the processor I want to plop into my system ;f

5. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

Yea, thats exactly what i have, the 533fsb. So i just need to find a socket 478 MB and i'm good to go?

6. pyblood

pyblood

Make sure that the motherboard supports Hyper-Threading Technology. I would recommed the I875P chipset, but they are usually a little pricey.

Make sure that the case and power supply are not some cheap $40 case/PS combo. Get a good PS like an Antec TruePower. The Antec Sonata is a good case, and it has an Antec 380W TruePower included.

7. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

The 3.06b doesn't support HT, but the idea of getting a MOBO that does is a good idea when future upgrades are factored in.

Plus, few SKT 478 boards worth owning lack HT support, anyway.

Allow me to recommend the Asus P4P800SE; costs about $80, uses the i865PE chipset, and is a very quick board in terms of performance. Also very stable.

You may want to get some better PC3200 RAM later on, but the DDR333 stuff is the fastest that CPU needs unless some overclocking is on the agenda.

BTW, in reality, selling that Dell PC and buying the PC3200 DDR, along with a 3.0C or E (800MHz FSB, HT-ready) processor and a good graphics card will not only save you some money (if you get a decent price for that rig) but you will get a MUCH faster PC.

But that may not appeal. Rest assured that there will be LITTLE OR NO increase in performance if you use the RAM and CPU in a better MOBO because they will continue to bottleneck the system.

Good luck!

8. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

I'm actually not doing this for performance at all; I just want a new case lol but was told that the MB in the Dell might be proprietary and not work inside of say, an Antec Dragon tower case. That and I’d like a few more PCI slots and maybe go with a MB that uses PCI express (I went the cheap way and got integrated video which I now regret majorly).

9. Rager

Rager

I've got a Dell Dimension 4600 w/ a P4, 2.8Ghz HT in it.

Can't say for sure if the mobo has a proprietary pattern, but I doubt it. The proc cooling fan stack/ setup is a pretty nice fit in the case and I'm sure could be adapted into a new case.

A decent aftermarket case should be fine. Some of the Dell cables may be shorter custom lengths.

For a couple of years in the late 90's Dell *did* have jerked up power supply leads. They transposed two leads in an otherwise industry-standard plug. Real wise-guys. Ugh. Guys would hose their system on the first boot.

Oh. You wanna change the board. D'oh

The Dell (XP?) install cd probably <b>will not</b> install yaknow. It's tied to the mobo.

10. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Oh! Gotcha.

BTW, Dell has yet to conform to the ATX form factor...both on board mounting screw patterns and PSU leads.

So it sounds like you have a good plan of action there.

Ground yourself and remove the CPU (buy some Arctic Silver Ceramique; you'll need to clean ALL TRACES of the old thermal pad from the CPU and the cooler with alcohol), lightly coat the clean, dry surfaces with the AS C, and install the proc, cooler and RAM into your shiny new MOBO.

Gently grasp the CPU cooler to move the MOBO into position.

Then buy a stronger PSU (the one in the Dell will be marginal at best) and the video card of your dreams--I can guarantee you WILL be impressed by THAT particular performance boost!!

'Integrated video'...pfeh.

Anyhow, I am sure you will have no regrets.

11. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

One more thing: I just read your post that implied you'd fallen for the 'PCIe = Better' thing...nothing could be further from the truth.

The AGP 8X bus is nowhere near saturated by any card on the market, so doubling its bandwidth is in no way beneficial.

Well, except for the board makers' bottom lines, anyway...

You'll pay more for the MOBO, and you'll pay more for the vid card. The performance boost will be less for the dollar, sorry to say.

Besides, most SKT 478 boards do not have that available, and the few that do are leveraging the 865PE chipset to function with that layout....with varying degrees of success.

If I may, here is an outstanding pairing of MOBO and video card; and, yes, I use the P4P800SE in my GF's gaming rig, and it is a phenomenal performer!! (There are three different vid cards based on price and performance):

Asus P4P800SE Motherboard -- $80 or so shipped.

Chaintech FX5700 -- (LOW power/avoid if possible!) $77.

Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB/256-bit -- (not bad at all...) $199.

PNY 6800GT -- (The best card under $500; will play ALL new games for a long time to come!) $356.

The 6800GT is the one I have my eye on, BTW...:cool:

As with most PC upgrades, if you do this on a budget, it will cost twice as much in the long run...buy quality and buy what you need (or a little more) now so you don't have to buy another component six months from now.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

GL!

12. Rager

Rager

Isn't a PCI-E bus better at throughput for a USB2 or Firewire (either 400 or 800) addin card?

I think I threw in a USB2 card in my W98se setup, but there aren't any real drivers for it? And probably won't be?

13. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

Thanks for the video card suggestions, any suggestions on a MOBO that would be compatible with the processor I have?

14. Rager

Rager

http://castle.pricewatch.com/search/search.idq?qc="P4P800SE"*&cr=P4P800SE

Price watch results. And I'd suggest newegg.com as well. Definitely a no-BS outfit.

15. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Normal PCI should be enough for USB2 and Firewire 400.A few Firewire 800 cards only function in Firewire 800 mode with 64 bit PCI,I have one PC with this slot.It's older than PCI-Express as far as I know.It is an extended/longer slot that also takes normal PCI cards.I think normal 32 bit PCI bus is 33Mhz and 64 bit PCI can be 66Mhz or newer ones 100Mhz.Some of those Firewire 800 cards will only function in Firewire 400 mode in normal PCI slots.I don't think PCI-Express slots will accept normal PCI cards.There isn't much available in Firewire 800.It would be good for a hard drive.USB2 is 480 but Firewire 400 does have some advantages.

16. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

PCI-Express is 64 bit 100 and 133Mhz.The PC I have that has an extended PCI slot is more than 3 years old and also has an AGP slot along with three normal PCI slots.I think the extended slot on it is 64 bit 66Mhz.The short ones are 33Mhz.